U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 11:35 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,366 posts, read 963,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Maybe to you, I have no idea what you heard. I do have a pretty high-quality system and it does not sound like a mess, on the contrary, it sounds great. It fills the room entirely when I use it like this. This is especially true for music. My $3K system sounds better than a $200 system. My front speakers alone cost around $1500. I think it goes without saying that YMMV.
Perhaps it was the room I was in. Lots more reflections from all those speakers playing the same content all at once.

In surround, reflections were not a problem because sounds came from them only occasionally.

Also, regarding how much your system cost: It's completely worthless if the provideD content is poorly mastered - loudly for the masses, dynamic range compressed. Your system is only as good as what's played over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 02:04 PM

3,988 posts, read 2,623,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Also, regarding how much your system cost: It's completely worthless if the provideD content is poorly mastered - loudly for the masses, dynamic range compressed. Your system is only as good as what's played over it.
To a certain extent yes. I think the limit would be 128k MP3's. Anything at that or below, it's going to sound like crap. Anything above that you can make sound pretty good using an EQ. The keyword here is "pretty" good. It would still be crap when compared to lossless formats like FLAC or WAV. Same applies to the audio that comes with DVD's, Bluray or Rips. Analog is a whole other story entirely, none of this comes into play. I recently got back into using vinyl. It sure brings back some memories and it just sounds more natural.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:13 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,366 posts, read 963,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
To a certain extent yes. I think the limit would be 128k MP3's. Anything at that or below, it's going to sound like crap. Anything above that you can make sound pretty good using an EQ. The keyword here is "pretty" good. It would still be crap when compared to lossless formats like FLAC or WAV. Same applies to the audio that comes with DVD's, Bluray or Rips. Analog is a whole other story entirely, none of this comes into play. I recently got back into using vinyl. It sure brings back some memories and it just sounds more natural.
That differenc you're hearing with the records is mostly how they were mastered, compared to the CDs or other digital formats, and not the formats themselves.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:20 PM

5,903 posts, read 5,049,829 times
Movies that provide surround sound will spoil you for that feature.
My next sound investment is a speaker for the floor.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:33 PM

8,643 posts, read 6,279,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
This is a common symptom of the movie-going public and of home-theater consumers: They expect something to be coming from the rear/surround speakers all the time.

The truth: Surround elements should be periodic, embracing the element of surprise.

They also don't need to be loud all the time. The surrounds can spread out the sound of traffic ambience in a city scene, or the sound of crickets or a running brook in a rural or nature scene.
This is what the theaters I frequent do right.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:30 PM

290 posts, read 259,415 times
Default What I decided on for my Home Theater...

Hi Group-
I am the 'Original Poster' of this Home Theater Thread, and after reading all of the comments, ideas and thoughts, doing much research/reading/studying, here is what I ended up with for Hardware.

Kilpsch RP-500F 7.1 Surround Speaker System (from World Wide Stereo). Pricey, but they'll be my "in-home Ferrarri" that I'll use everyday!

Onkyo TX-NR757 7.2 AV Receiver(online $650 unit for 1/2 price (!)

Yamaha Aventage BD-A1060 Blu Ray/Multi Disc Player. (Online $400 unit for 1/2 price)

The system sounds Incredible!
Depth, dimension, clarity, left sounds, right sounds, center, rear, Height (!).

The Onkyo receiver is just Insane, with power to spare.
I turned it up to "THX Reference Sound level" of 82 and I thought that I was going to blow the windows out of my house!

Sheesh is that LOUD, but Clear as a bell with no distortion.
I probably wouldn't use it at that level very often...
It sounds just fine at lower volume levels, just as some of you have stated.

Sure, I like LOUD ROCK MUSIC, but I really don't need my 'ears to bleed' then ring for days afterwards.
(Like I used to let my ears ring, for a day or two after so many of the Concerts that I used to go to in the 70's 80's and 90's, you know?

With age, comes Wisdom [I Hope]!

I'll be adding an older Yahmaha belt-drive Turntable, and Sony dual cassette deck to the system when I get the chance to work on it some more.

Speaking of Concerts....
Tomorrow, Tuesday 25th, I heading over to Bangor, Maine to see Heart & Sheryl Crow, with my Finance.

* I DO have another question about hanging rear surround speakers on my wall.....

Is there some SPECIAL Type of fastener to attach/hold a speaker onto a wall speaker mount???

I tried for a few hours last Friday to find the proper bolt (?) but I couldn't tighten it, due to the head of my bolt being INSIDE/hidden on the back of the speaker.

What the Heck do I use?

The speakers weigh 14 lbs, and I don't need them to fall...

Thanking everyone in advance!

Irv in Maine

Old 07-23-2019, 12:34 PM

733 posts, read 188,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT2MEwoodnutt View Post
Hi Group-
I am the 'Original Poster' of this Home Theater Thread, and after reading all of the comments, ideas and thoughts, doing much research/reading/studying, here is what I ended up with for Hardware.

Kilpsch RP-500F 7.1 Surround Speaker System (from World Wide Stereo). Pricey, but they'll be my "in-home Ferrarri" that I'll use everyday!

Onkyo TX-NR757 7.2 AV Receiver(online $650 unit for 1/2 price (!)

Yamaha Aventage BD-A1060 Blu Ray/Multi Disc Player. (Online $400 unit for 1/2 price)

The system sounds Incredible!
Depth, dimension, clarity, left sounds, right sounds, center, rear, Height (!).

The Onkyo receiver is just Insane, with power to spare.
I turned it up to "THX Reference Sound level" of 82 and I thought that I was going to blow the windows out of my house!

Sheesh is that LOUD, but Clear as a bell with no distortion.
I probably wouldn't use it at that level very often...
It sounds just fine at lower volume levels, just as some of you have stated.

Sure, I like LOUD ROCK MUSIC, but I really don't need my 'ears to bleed' then ring for days afterwards.
(Like I used to let my ears ring, for a day or two after so many of the Concerts that I used to go to in the 70's 80's and 90's, you know?

With age, comes Wisdom [I Hope]!

I'll be adding an older Yahmaha belt-drive Turntable, and Sony dual cassette deck to the system when I get the chance to work on it some more.

Speaking of Concerts....
Tomorrow, Tuesday 25th, I heading over to Bangor, Maine to see Heart & Sheryl Crow, with my Finance.

* I DO have another question about hanging rear surround speakers on my wall.....

Is there some SPECIAL Type of fastener to attach/hold a speaker onto a wall speaker mount???

I tried for a few hours last Friday to find the proper bolt (?) but I couldn't tighten it, due to the head of my bolt being INSIDE/hidden on the back of the speaker.

What the Heck do I use?

The speakers weigh 14 lbs, and I don't need them to fall...

Thanking everyone in advance!

Irv in Maine
So, you already have the wall mounts?

From the pictures of the back of your Klipsch RP500-M (not F) package system, those surrounds have a keyhole type of wall mount on the back.

Maybe a wall mount that uses a bolt and cap nut of the right size to fit the Klipsch keyhole?

Old 08-08-2019, 02:05 PM

290 posts, read 259,415 times
Default Whoops, I put down the Wrong Speaker System Number...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
So, you already have the wall mounts?

From the pictures of the back of your Klipsch RP500-M (not F) package system, those surrounds have a keyhole type of wall mount on the back.

Maybe a wall mount that uses a bolt and cap nut of the right size to fit the Klipsch keyhole?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi Trekker99,

I miss-quoted myself with the model of the speaker system which I bought.

I bought the Klipsch RP-5000F 7.1.2 Surround System. (Comprised of: 2 Floor Tower speakers, 2 Atmos up-firing 'height speakers', 2 rear surround speakers, 1 Center channel speaker, one Subwoofer.---I could use Two, but for the Love of God, I don't know why anyone would need Two)

The Rear Surround Speakers [which I'm trying to hang on the wall] are RP500-F's, and weight 14 Lbs each.

I returned the first set of wall speaker mounts, and bought a different set, which 'clamps' the speakers to hold them securely on each bottom side.

That SHOULD hold them securely to my pine board walls!

Thanks for all of the great input on this!

Irv in Maine

Old 08-09-2019, 08:42 AM

733 posts, read 188,502 times
Quote:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hi Trekker99,

I bought the Klipsch RP-5000F 7.1.2 Surround System. (Comprised of: 2 Floor Tower speakers, 2 Atmos up-firing 'height speakers', 2 rear surround speakers, 1 Center channel speaker, one Subwoofer.---I could use Two, but for the Love of God, I don't know why anyone would need Two)

The Rear Surround Speakers [which I'm trying to hang on the wall] are RP500-F's, and weight 14 Lbs each.

I returned the first set of wall speaker mounts, and bought a different set, which 'clamps' the speakers to hold them securely on each bottom side.

That SHOULD hold them securely to my pine board walls!

Thanks for all of the great input on this!

Irv in Maine
Glad you got it figured out.

I know some friends that have mounted speakers both ways; the clamp like mount and the keyhole mount.

Just gitter dun, right?

Old 08-14-2019, 08:39 PM

471 posts, read 126,704 times
Quote:

Hi Trekker99,

Irv in Maine

I have four 15-inch subwoofers in my living room and I feel like I can always use more. Congrats on your home theater. I remember when I first had my HT system, along with my projector. I was so happy. Happier than my wedding. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or