U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 12:25 AM

28,607 posts, read 40,583,741 times

Advertisements

Slow down on the coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Who is uninformed?
Here's the thing: Alexa and Google devices run on personal networks. Some folks are really good at networking. Some people can even track EVERY BIT of internet traffic on their LAN or WAN. So if Amazon IS recording EVERY word it hears this would require huge uploads to Amazon servers and would leave, in layman's terms, footprints all over the network.
So unless Amazon/Google have figured out a way to bypass MY NETWORK to upload all that data and still function perfectly as a network device ON my network....
Do I need to repeat myself re wasting time and flat earthers my friend?

Old 07-20-2019, 11:42 PM

1,673 posts, read 874,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Directly quote where I ever said that they're recording voice. Here is where you type up some Reader's Digest reply that can't figure out what else they could possibly record.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The point is your only choice is to not care. It's one thing to purchase an assistant, and it's another to find out your apartment bought one for all of its tenants. The best I can do is relocate, which I'm working on, but if it was simple I wouldn't be in an apartment in the first place. Which is exactly why Amazon and the like are targeting renters.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
Directly quote where I ever said that they're recording voice. Here is where you type up some Reader's Digest reply that can't figure out what else they could possibly record.

The point is your only choice is to not care. It's one thing to purchase an assistant, and it's another to find out your apartment bought one for all of its tenants. The best I can do is relocate, which I'm working on, but if it was simple I wouldn't be in an apartment in the first place. Which is exactly why Amazon and the like are targeting renters.
One simple word.

Brainwashed. Well, perhaps a second. Paranoia. Heck, why not? A third. Uninformed.

The foolishness of your paranoia shows your are brainwashed because you are uninformed regarding the reality of what is actually happening.

Stop drinking the kool aid.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I said it's an AMAZON locker. As in "security" is just a byproduct of the Internet-enabled camera.

And it says it all that uninformed people are insisting that your Internet devices aren't recording you. And the tech giants headed by the incredibly smart, rich, powerful and condescending, won't tell anyone either way.
Quote:

This.

And yes. The Feds are waiting.... waiting... waiting.... Until you relax... relax... relax...

Then they are going to kick your door in, guns raised. Be very, very careful in the future. Make one wrong move when they come through that door and everyone in the room is dead.

Very careful. BANG!

Old 07-21-2019, 01:25 AM

1,673 posts, read 874,342 times
My career is IT and my degree is Cybersecurity. I don't know what Amazon (or the other evasive tech giants) does specifically, but I am aware of what networked devices are capable of. And in the profit-driven data collecting business, Amazon is way ahead of what we suspect. They're definitely not behind the curve, I hope nobody would disagree with that.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
My career is IT and my degree is Cybersecurity. I don't know what Amazon (or the other evasive tech giants) does specifically, but I am aware of what networked devices are capable of. And in the profit-driven data collecting business, Amazon is way ahead of what we suspect. They're definitely not behind the curve, I hope nobody would disagree with that.

Considering your posts here I find that claim to be suspect.

Old 07-22-2019, 01:29 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Quote:
but I am aware of what networked devices are capable of.
If true, you'd be agreeing with me. You'd know how good packet sniffer's are and how easy it would be to analyze all your traffic.
I have no doubt these companies have tech I can't even imagine. BUT... masking traffic on my personal network so I wouldn't know what's leaving seems far fetched at this point with the even basic and free tools we have now.
They get better tech.
So do we.
Not to even mention the risk they would be taking if this was true. If we suddenly got concrete proof that Google/Amazon recorded us constantly? I can't imagine either company recovering from that...

Old 07-27-2019, 12:33 AM

12,175 posts, read 3,212,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
This surveillance crap is p!ssing me off!

I'm curious as to why people aren't disturbed by the fact that anyone can put a tiny video and/or audio recorder anywhere and record you. It can be in someone elses home or someone can bring it into your home and record you. There are some that use wi-fi and some that record straight to a micro SD card. I don't like the idea of hidden cameras. I understand and expect them to be used in certain businesses, but I worry about them in others. What if I have a wedgie and want to discreetly remove it? I don't want someone recording that. I can't even trust that relatives don't have hidden cameras. They could have them anywhere, even in the bathroom. They can post the video on the internet and I could become a international laughing stock. Amazon's spying is the least of my worries.
You have NO idea how they plan to use all this personal data...so Im not sure how you can say you are not worried or concerned?

I have a sneaky feeling the 'police state' is behind this, trying to get the arrest and conviction statistics higher.

It may not be a popular opinion, but I believe if the founding fathers were alive today and saw this kind of thing taking place....they would probably encourage citizens to rise up against the powers that be (by force if need be)...its THAT dire and serious imo.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:19 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
OMG...
It is not 'the police state'.
It's Amazon trying to sell you a toaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or