U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-12-2019, 05:09 PM
 
217 posts, read 104,043 times
Reputation: 586

Advertisements

Good evening,

I am cutting the cord with cable and was wondering if YouTube TV is the best option to watch network channels? Also, will YouTube TV work on a regular Mac computer, running Chrome, or is it better if I upgrade to a newer Roku device (mine is about 7 years old and it doesn't appear to support the YouTube TV App).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2019, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,844 posts, read 13,973,633 times
Reputation: 8083
YouTube TV is an excellent one. SlingTV is almost as good too and is cheaper. Since they both offer free trials and no contract, you have zero to lose to try the both.
Both will run fine on your Mac.
Better is up to you. Do you plan to ONLY watch on your computer? Don't get a Roku then.
The base model Rokus are so cheap though, why not get one?
Sling has some good deals going on too. First month for $15. Half price off the expensive Roku ($50 instead o $100) or some antenna bundle thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2019, 07:24 PM
 
217 posts, read 104,043 times
Reputation: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
YouTube TV is an excellent one. SlingTV is almost as good too and is cheaper. Since they both offer free trials and no contract, you have zero to lose to try the both.
Both will run fine on your Mac.
Better is up to you. Do you plan to ONLY watch on your computer? Don't get a Roku then.
The base model Rokus are so cheap though, why not get one?
Sling has some good deals going on too. First month for $15. Half price off the expensive Roku ($50 instead o $100) or some antenna bundle thing.
Thank you for your advice! I did order a new Roku as mine was several years old and will use it with my TV. When I looked at Sling, it looks as if they no longer offer local network channels, but instead, give you an option to purchase an HD antenna which wouldn't really benefit me as I live/work in the boonies. I'm glad to know that YouTube TV will work a computer; sometimes, that is my preferred way to watch shows. Thanks again - I appreciate the time you took to reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2019, 09:45 PM
 
7,178 posts, read 3,924,505 times
Reputation: 6789
YTTV is probably the best streaming option now. I have a grandfathered DirecTV Now plan that isn’t available anymore that I’m holding onto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,844 posts, read 13,973,633 times
Reputation: 8083
Sling Vue and YTTV are so close to each other I don't think anyone can say any of them are "best".
YTTV's big advantage is unlimited storage DVR and no expiration on DVR'ed stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Holly Springs, NC
1,427 posts, read 810,172 times
Reputation: 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
YTTV is probably the best streaming option now. I have a grandfathered DirecTV Now plan that isn’t available anymore that I’m holding onto.
Your post prompted me to log into my account and check - I'm on an grandfathered package as well and here I am talking up DirecTV Now to other people. Even the newest "top" plan has less channels than I get now. Wow.

To the OP, here is a summary of the channels by streaming provider: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/play...ted-june-2019/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 02:59 PM
 
7,178 posts, read 3,924,505 times
Reputation: 6789
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Your post prompted me to log into my account and check - I'm on an grandfathered package as well and here I am talking up DirecTV Now to other people. Even the newest "top" plan has less channels than I get now. Wow.

To the OP, here is a summary of the channels by streaming provider: https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/play...ted-june-2019/
Scary, isn't it. They REALLY chopped down what they had while simultaneously raising prices. Of course you get HBO now "for free".

I got a free Apple TV out of my plan which makes it all balance out I suppose, even with their $10 increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:21 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top