U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 08:20 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
So much wrong with this post.
You don't need FAST internet to stream to a TV or 2. A mere 15mb would suffice. I know...I had 15 for years.

I get adequate video over a 3Mbps connection however it's just me using it at that location. If there was more than myself, update download kicks in or other network activity it's not going to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 08:19 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
And you've proven my point. His video works at 3. I suggested 15, or 5X that, would suffice.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:34 PM

1,338 posts, read 412,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
We are moving soon to a new home in a retirement community. Many of the current neighbors have highly suggested switching to streaming TV instead of cable -- we have used Cox for 32 years.

Here is my dilemma . . . my wife has never been too techie when it comes to the remote control even for Cox. Because of radiation cancer treatment that is even more pronounced for her than ever before. If we can program the remote to basically get her to the stations she prefers all will be fine, but if there are too many gyrations and options that pop up on screen or on the remote it will be way too confusing. She has about six channels she typically will cycle through. Is it feasible to think that we can program the remote to go to her "favorites" with one button and then choose a channel from there and avoid anything else?
Throw out the TV and buy a radio

Old 07-02-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
Throw out the TV and buy a radio
What?!? Zip it Aleeegee. Have you listened to radio today? Kind of sucks.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:05 PM

10,160 posts, read 10,480,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4khansen View Post
Thanks for the feedback. My wife basically watches the broadcast channels, ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and HGTV, Weather, CNN, ESPN etc. That's the routine. The cost and setup shouldn't be a problem. We pay $250+ a month as it is for Cox now, and I have no issues with getting as fast of internet as available.
There is a nonprofit streaming service called locast.org which will work on a computer, Roku, Amazon FireTV, Apple TV or Android TV. It is free since it only retransmits broadcast stations like ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox but they will irritate you with requests for donations unless you pledge $5 a month.

Unfortunately it only works for about 1 in 3 households in the USA. It uses the GPS in your device to see if you are in one of the following Direct Marketing Areas. If you don't live in one of these areas, Locast is not an option
1 New York
2 Los Angeles
3 Chicago
4 Philadelphia
5 Dallas-Ft. Worth
6 Washington, DC (Hagrstwn)
7 Houston
8 San Francisco-Oak-San Jose
9 Boston (Manchester)
17 Denver
26 Baltimore
115 Sioux Falls(Mitchell)
171 Rapid City

The cheapest streaming service that gets both CNN, HGTV and ESPN is SlingTV Orange option. For $25 a month you get:
  1. ESPN ------ The Walt Disney Company
  2. ESPN2 ------ The Walt Disney Company
  3. ESPN3 ------ The Walt Disney Company
  4. CNN ------ AT&T
  5. TBS ------ AT&T
  6. TNT ------ AT&T
  7. Cartoon Network ------ AT&T
  8. A&E ------ A+E Networks
  9. History ------ A+E Networks
  10. Lifetime ------ A+E Networks
  11. AMC ------ AMC Networks Inc.
  12. IFC ------ AMC Networks Inc.
  13. BBC America ------ AMC Networks Inc. (50%)
  14. Local Now ------ Byron Allen : Entertainment Studios
  15. Tribeca Shortlist ------ De Niro, Rosenthal, and Craig Hatkoff
  16. Food Network ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  17. HGTV ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  18. Investigation Discovery ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  19. Newsy ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  20. Travel Channel ------ Discovery: Scripps Networks Interactive
  21. Bloomberg ------ financial news network
  22. Cheddar Business ------ financial news network
  23. Cheddar News ------ financial news network
  24. Fuse ------ Fuse Media, LLC.
  25. AXS TV ------ Mark Cuban
  26. EPIX Drive-In ------ Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
  27. Comedy Central ------ News Corp: Viacom
  28. Comet ------ Sinclair Television Group, Inc.
  29. Stadium ------ Sinclair Television Group, Inc.
  30. Viceland ------ VICE Media
  31. MotorTrend ------ Motor Trend Group
  32. ACC Atlantic Coast Conference ------ The Walt Disney Company
  33. Freeform ------ The Walt Disney Company
  34. Disney Channel ------ The Walt Disney Company

That puts you at roughly $30 a month for live TV. You may want to select some Video on Demand options like $13 Netflix, $15 for HBO Now, $14 for Amazon Prime, $5 for Apple TV (1 November), $6 Hallmark Movies Now, $6 for Britbox. You don't need to sign a contract so you can try different ones for short periods.

There are "commercially supported" video on demand products like the Roku channel. There is no fee, but you do have commercials

You do need a device so you don't have to watch on a computer. Roku is still the most popular company, and they sell:
$30 for HDTV Roku Express. Adapter weight 1.3 ounces, but you must be able to point remote at the device
$40 for UHDTV Roku Premier. Same size, but supports ultra high definition. You must be able to point remote at the device.
$50 for UHD Roku Streaming Stick. Voice remote. If TV is hung from wall this is a much better option
$60 for UHD Roku Streaming Stick+. Special antenna for poor wifi.
$100 for UHD Roku Ultra. Ethernet port if you have no wi-fi
$130-$500 for TV with built in Roku
$150-$320 for wireless speakers or soundbar for high quality audio tied to Roku. Higher price includes bass.

Other than Roku Amazon Fire, Apple TV and several others. Usually you get one month free of service with the purchase so if you spend $30 on Roku express, you get the first month for Sling TV ($25 value).

You can install locast and Sling TV on your Roku. The Roku channel gives you somewhat dated free movies supported by commercials. There are literally thousands of free services which provide some kind of viewing options, but most of them are worth what you pay, which is nothing.

https://mubi.com/showing
Mubi shows 30 hand picked movies (often decades old) for $11 and invites you to discuss them with other people. Kind of like a book club.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 09-15-2019 at 04:35 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 03:35 PM

6,856 posts, read 8,440,185 times
I don’t do it but it think there is a way to use Alexa to fetch your programs. You know, like you say Alexa watch House Hunters and you get connected. Maybe the guys at Best Buy could of help you there.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:44 PM

10,160 posts, read 10,480,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I don’t do it but it think there is a way to use Alexa to fetch your programs. You know, like you say Alexa watch House Hunters and you get connected. Maybe the guys at Best Buy could of help you there.
You still have to purchase the streaming service (or watch one with commercials). Alexa just provides a way to search for show using voice.
https://www.smartdevicessupport.com/...-on-echo-show/

Old 09-15-2019, 05:22 PM

1,104 posts, read 352,235 times
I use many computer programs but trying to figure out how to get your shows by streaming is a nightmare. My son has that and it was frustrating to try and use it.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:50 AM

Disagree, Terry. It's not that hard at all.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:17 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,583,741 times
On a different note we added a flat antenna to our smart Samsung and are getting channels in the 1000 range. Not perfect and it can fade out and in sometimes, but 1073 is non-stop poker!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or