U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2019, 05:34 PM

21,261 posts, read 39,803,522 times

Advertisements

Hello Group:

I think I need an adapter or converter or both, but I'm not sure it exists or is possible.

I've an Onkyo digital receiver (dating from 2005) that has RCA-style video-out jacks (3 color) and my new TV only has HDMI inputs.

I want to play DVDs (and VHS tapes and Laserdiscs) with output from those players going to the Onkyo receiver for it to send the video output to the TV. (Sound is sent to the 6 speakers around the room.)

Is there a product that works for me? I see adapter cables but they seem to be only one way, from HDMI components back to RCA input TV sets, but I need RCA outputs to HDMI inputs.

If I buy an adapter cable like this one I assume it will send the video signal to the new TV but will picture quality be just analog quality and/or grainy?

Is there a converter box that converts the signal from RCA-video-out into HDMI format?

Thank you!

s/Mike
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 07:07 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

If I buy an adapter cable like this one I assume it will send the video signal to the new TV but will picture quality be just analog quality and/or grainy?

The quality of the video is what it is, it will not improve converting it to anything. Any conversion process is typically downhill from the source. How much depends on the quality of the encoder it is using. For $8 I wouldn't expect much but you never know.....

A lot of devices use scaling tech, this does not add detail to video but improves it for viewing on larger sized displays. Typically when you scale something up you get a soft image, think 80's Playboy here. The scaling tech instead determines lines of contrasting edges so those edges remain sharp.

This won't help with the laser disc but they do have VCR/DVD combos with HDMI output that scale accordingly and would likey give you the best quality. They aren't cheap if it has VHS deck.

As far as the laserdiscs have you tried viewing them lately? Those are prone to rot and may be unplayable.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:15 AM

3,818 posts, read 5,979,794 times
Quote:
Hello Group:

Is there a converter box that converts the signal from RCA-video-out into HDMI format?

Thank you!

s/Mike
https://smile.amazon.com/Converter-A...35628062&psc=1

Old 07-04-2019, 10:54 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,608,667 times
What I would do it is run video and audio separately. DVD, VCR video directly to TV using an adapter as necessary. If any of those devices have HDMI out, then no adapter necessary. Then connect the audio from those same devices to the Onkyo. This way you can watch movies or whatever on the TV without having your receiver on. If you want sound from the receiver, turn it on an choose the appropriate input. Assuming any of the devices have better than composite out, you will get better video quality this way.

What kind of outputs do you have on DVD and other devices?

Old 07-04-2019, 12:03 PM

21,261 posts, read 39,803,522 times
Thanks for the help. I will get back to the thread after I get some products.

My laserdiscs still work fine, right up to a couple of weeks ago when I was still using the old 1990-vintage 35-inch Mitsubishi picture tube TV set (275 pounds, out the door, ouch). These are so cheap on ebay that I still buy them.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:58 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
Quote:
These are so cheap on ebay that I still buy them.

I'd check CL. Someone may pay you to come get it so they don' have to break their back getting it out the door.

Quote:
My laserdiscs still work fine,

You'd have to check but you may be able to pass the signal through a DVD deck with HDMI out.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:45 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Allow me to quote the correct answer. This is all you need. On this day and age there's a converter for everything.
I used one of this at work to connect our old Polycom camera to a modern 55 inch TV.
$14. /end thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics