U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 06:08 PM

5,513 posts, read 2,953,939 times

Advertisements

We have a Sony Bravia HDTV that is about 3 years old. It has started to crash with certain Amazon and Netflix streams. I updated the apps in the TV and its firmware but apparently it is limited on what all can be updated due to its design. We spent a couple of long phone calls with Sony over this and basically said they cannot fix its problems because it is too old.

So, time for a new smart TV. But this time I want to make sure the software in it is fully upgradeable as are the smart apps. I am not sure what the standard is anymore so that is my question here - what should I be looking for? Which manufacturer is best? Does Android still power a lot of smart TVs? I want something that will work 5 or 7 years from now and won't go obsolete like Sony has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 03:03 PM

2,308 posts, read 1,576,882 times
NO smart tv's are updated beyond about 3 years or so. They ALL go obsolete fairly quickly.

Keep the tv you have now if you like it, and buy a Roku Ultra or other smart device, and connect that to your tv set with a 4k HDMI cable. Use that device to access your streaming things.

I have two Roku 3's about 6 years old, that are still being updated, and my LG 2013 1080p smart tv that is NOT. They stopped updating the tv set before 2015. I recently bought a new Roku Ultra on sale for $65 in anticipation of buying a 4k tv set, and using the Ultra versus the TV's apps.

I am very happy with the Ultra, even on my LG 1080p tv set.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:25 PM

3,957 posts, read 2,608,667 times
Get something with a Amazon TV or Roku built in. I personally would go with an Amazon since it is Android based and an open system where you can sideload apps like Kodi. Smart TV's are more limited as to what you can do with them in that regard. You could also not even worry about it and get a streaming stick or box. For $40 you could have way more than any Smart TV has built in.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:47 PM

850 posts, read 296,356 times
I've heard numerous times form the Tech Guy radio show not to use the built in apps. They do not get updated, and the interface is not always the best.

Go buy a Roku device. They get updated on a regular basis. Hook that to the tv - it has all the apps you need for the various channels. Problem solved.

You do not need a new tv at all. Plus the Roku into an HDMI port - and use that 100% of the time for streaming services.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:41 PM

14,369 posts, read 21,039,128 times
Do not buy a new TV.
Turn your current TV into a dumb TV.
Buy a smart box that delivers the desired streams to TV.
Read all 1900 posts here and you will know what box to buy - Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - Page 19 - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Old 07-08-2019, 02:44 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Check out Nvidia's SHIELD TV too. It's one of the best

Old 07-08-2019, 03:16 PM

562 posts, read 335,897 times
I agree with the rest - keep your TV! Don't worry about whether your old or a new TV will stay updated - they will not.

Get a Roku streaming device. $100 or less, depending on the model you choose. People love them, and say the interface and remote control that comes with it work great. They support all the big streaming services with the apps installed, including Netflix and Amazon that you mentioned. And they will keep their products up to date, like you wish.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:03 PM

61 posts, read 21,158 times
+1 on Roku devices. We bought 4k Roku and FireTv devices and tried them on our two 3-year old smart TV's. Netflix and Amazon apps worked MUCH better than those on the TV's. Really liked the Roku interface and the remote is excellent. Our Logitech remotes are now in the closet and we exchanged the FireTV device for a 2nd Roku. The streaming stick + can often be found on sale for $50.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:20 PM

7,121 posts, read 3,891,444 times
Everyone has laid out the right approach. The only thing I’d add for your consideration is if you’re an Apple household and have bought into the ecosystem - perhaps consider an Apple TV as well. But if you’re not then either Amazon or Roku.

I have 2 TVs with Apple TV as we have a bunch of movies from iTunes. In the guest bedroom we have a Roku TV. I was an early Fire TV adopter but dropped it.

If you’re an Amazon Prime member Prime Day is coming where they will no doubt discount all Fire TV devices heavily. (If you’re not a Prime member you can get a free trial)

Also if you are using a streaming TV service see what devices work best with it.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:48 PM

2,895 posts, read 1,700,072 times
This is a good reminder to us that "smart TV" is not smart at all. I too have a high end Sony Bravia that updates regularly. As near as I can tell, the only reason for an update is to push out new content. And the home screen is littered with stuff that is not free, that I don't want, and that I can't get rid of. As near as I can tell, the only thing "smart" in "smart TV" is how smart it is at getting into our wallets and privacy.

For us, we only watch Amazon Prime and Netflix, and the relevant apps work well enough, so we haven't needed to go external, but we're ready to when we need to. You got excellent advice above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics