U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 03:05 PM

688 posts, read 177,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
If your TV has HDMI ARC or Optical output, you can connect the Roku to that and then from the TV back to the AVR. In fact, that is the way I have one of my setups. One of my older receivers is not HDMI (only optical). So instead of routing everything through the receiver, I connect some of my devices to the TV via HDMI and use the optical out to my AVR. I've never had problems getting surround. I don't have a Roku, I have a Fire Stick and an HTPC. It's worth a try if you have that option.

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-au...n-channel-arc/
I'll have to check my TV.

So, do you get your AVR to light up with surround with your Fire Stick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 03:11 PM

3,957 posts, read 2,608,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I'll have to check my TV.

So, do you get your AVR to light up with surround with your Fire Stick?
Yes, standard Dolby Digital with Netflix or Amazon on programs that support it. Using Kodi and depending on the source, I can even get DTS. The fire stick does not decode surround, it simply passes through whatever signal it gets.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:52 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,608,667 times
On a side note, today is Prime day, I just ordered a 4k Fire stick to replace my gen 2. I will be passing that down to someone else. On sale for $25, regular price is $50. You can't beat that with a stick, pun intended I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or