U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 01:36 PM

460 posts, read 1,155,697 times

Advertisements

I may be late to the party...but has everybody else been upgraded to the new cable guide and all its wonderous sucktitude?

There are less options for searching (used to be able to use the "keyboard" to search for actors/actresses...now just by show)...it seems slower and there's less info in the descriptions.

I haven't tried yet but can you still rewind back an hour?
And the 'days' button to skip forward a day on the guide doesn't work anymore. Back to the number key + right arrow to move to a different day.

Or maybe I'm missing some things?

If you haven't had the upgrade...I got a phone call with a recording letting me know my guide would be upgraded within the next 24 hours. They also send an email...I didn't lose any of my saved DVR shows...but there is that possibility, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 24,340,615 times
The DVR is still buggy as all getout. Not fixed yet by downloads.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:04 AM

494 posts, read 1,593,015 times
I use Tivo instead of TW's DVR. Its well worth the price to me for the following reasons...

- Learns what you like - Tivo will fill itself up with stuff that it thinks you will like based on your past viewing and preferences. I've found some very interesting programs that way that I would have never found otherwise. And it automatically deletes the stuff if space is needed, so there is no penalty.
- Internet scheduling - If you are at work and find out about a program you want to see, you can log into your account and setup the recording.
- Multi-room Viewing - With multiple Tivos, I can record more programs simultaneously and I can retrieve and watch any program from any room... or actually pull them to my PC or laptop too.
- Hide the Trash - Time Warner refuses to let you remove from the Guide the programs that you don't subscribe to. Its not as bad here as NY, but still pretty bad. Those adult channels are pretty trashy... even the titles are bad enough that I don't want my younger kids having to surf through them. Not to mention the bazillion channels you have to weed through to get to the ones you want. With Tivo, you can turn on or off any channel so that it disappears entirely.

- Good Remote - The Tivo remote is compact and functional... it just works well. The TW remote is like a plank its so big, and has way too many buttons in my opinion. I like Tivos better.

And as saturnfan has said... TW's DVR has always been characterized as "still buggy". I've had to use TW's DVR for the last month because I've not run a LAN cable to where my Tivos will be located, and its been a real drag. The one thing I expected to be better is the guide being more up to date with programming changes. I've found the TW one to be no better, and worse in some ways. With Tivo, it would automatically extend sports programs past the end point and give you an option to override. TW's DVR doesn't do this and I'm continually having my sports programs cut short which is highly annoying. I'm sure there is probably a way to program around this, but the Tivo is smart enough to do it automatically.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 AM

460 posts, read 1,155,697 times
Not sure if the new Navigator does this...but the old version gave the option for extending live recordings when you went to set the 'record'
knowing TW...that's gone, too.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:13 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,521,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
I use Tivo instead of TW's DVR. Its well worth the price to me for the following reasons...
Tivo is a dead man walking. The whole reason TWC is switching over from Passport to Navigator is that they need the Nav software to roll out Switched Digital Video(SDV). Tivo Series 3, with the stopgap Cable Card technology, will not work after the move to SDV.

SDV will effectively put an end to bandwidth limitations at the edge of the cable network. Instead of ALL channels being available on the copper at once as a broadcast, with SDV only the channels being tuned in get broadcast. This means TWC can offer an unlimited number of HD channels.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:22 AM

9,576 posts, read 27,285,694 times
Man I am living in the dark ages when it comes to cable TV. I have a coaxial cable going from my wall outlet to my set, I get about 15 stations, and I use the remote that came with the TV. No digital cable box, no DVR, no on screen program info. On the rare occasion I want to record something I use my old VCR (The Horror ). I use the internet (Zap2it.com) to see what programs are scheduled each week. The one plus to living in the dark ages of Cable is I only pay $11.55 for my Time Warner Cable Package. Thankfully my LCD TV has a built in HD receiver and I pick up ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and UNC-TV in HD.

I am so behind the times!!!!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:49 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,521,689 times
You must not be a big sports fan, NRG. The ESPN channels are a must for me, and to get in HD I have to move up to Digital Cable. And I couldn't go back to not having a DVR. Now I watch stuff when I want to and have time to. And I don't sit through commercials.

I guess with just the basic channels, you don't get any 24 hour news channels either (cnn, etc. ).

Old 04-18-2008, 10:47 AM

494 posts, read 1,593,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Tivo is a dead man walking. The whole reason TWC is switching over from Passport to Navigator is that they need the Nav software to roll out Switched Digital Video(SDV). Tivo Series 3, with the stopgap Cable Card technology, will not work after the move to SDV.
We'll see... Tivo has a huge customer base so I doubt they will just roll over as new technology comes out, and we should all hope that they don't. Choice is a great thing. I spoke to TW about their DVR before deciding and they are very much against mult-room viewing and against hiding the titles of channels that you don't subscribe to. The arrogance of monopoly is always a bad thing. With a quick Google search I found plenty of info about the way Tivo will solve this problem, so I'm not going to worry about it. I also don't use Tivo for HD right now so I think its further out that I'll have a problem.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:09 PM

26,158 posts, read 15,742,389 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh
I may be late to the party...but has everybody else been upgraded to the new cable guide and all its wonderous sucktitude?
Yes its a piece of utter garbage!!!

When we first got DIGITAL CABLE,SARA was on the boxs and was EXCELLENT!!!!!

I heard about this navigator crap and I didnt like it at all..... I managed to avoid the update for a month or so by unplugging my wire on the night they were upgrading the boxs... Then one week they hit it on a thurs night... I should have unplugged my wire EVERY NIGHT!!

Its ugly,slower and a piece of garbage......... I HAVENT HAD MY CABLE BOX HOOKED UP SINCE 2008 REALLY!!!! (Since they forced this trash on us (My tiers expired and I didnt bother getting them updated)) WHY DO THINGS ALWAYS GET WORSE???

I miss you sara

www.youtube.com/v/up-xIDD_rsQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics