U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Terrestrial/Rooftop TV Antenna Users: Which form of interference could you tolerate most?
1. Pixellation and frequent dropouts 1 10.00%
2. Moderate 'snow', but can still see picture and hear the sound ok 9 90.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 08:16 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Then you - and thecoalman - missed the point of both this post and the poll.

I did not miss your point and had already guessed where you were going with this.

Obviously if you are just narrowly comparing snowy TV to effectively nothing anyone is going to choose snow but it's small amount of people this has affected. This is much broader comparison and that issue has to be weighted against the benefits of digital broadcast. For starters most people have seen their channel selection jump from 5 or 6 to 20+ many of which are broadcast in the highest quality HD that is available anywhere.

There is benefits people aren't even aware of such as more space available for cell phones. That may or may not mean anything to you but it's certainly important for the millions of people that use them. The airwaves belong to us as a whole and the most in demand wireless service is cell phones. Analog broadcasts were taking up too much space, this transition has made more space for new technologies.

The switch to digital has been benefit to many people in more ways than one, you may not even watch OTA TV and have benefited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 08:50 PM

1,292 posts, read 768,410 times
Quote:
You must not have grown up on analog broadcast.
Dad brought home our first tv in 1952. I have totally grown up in the analog tv era. I have watched more than anyone's share of snowy weak tv pictures. I waited patiently for years from the first magazine articles that hinted that someday in the future HDTV was coming.

Tell us, what is the source of this analog tv programming you are watching.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:36 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,364 posts, read 957,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Dad brought home our first tv in 1952. I have totally grown up in the
analog tv era. I have watched more than anyone's share of snowy weak
tv pictures. I waited patiently for years from the first magazine articles that
hinted that someday in the future HDTV was coming.

Tell us, what is the source of this analog tv programming you are watching.

The whole jist of this thread is: Would you take back analog TV's snow on weaker channels over digital's drop-outs and muted sound? I cannot believe how many older folks like yourself are embracing newer technologies that I disdain! You kind of sounded like a millennial in post #8.

I guess I am more conservative - tech-wise that is - as a 40-something than I give myself credit for! I just feel that, if something ain't broke, why re-invent it?

Old 09-23-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I did not miss your point and had already guessed where you
were going with this.

Obviously if you are just narrowly comparing snowy TV to effectively
nothing anyone is going to choose snow but it's small amount of people
this has affected. This is much broader comparison and that issue has to
be weighted against the benefits of digital broadcast. For starters most
people have seen their channel selection jump from 5 or 6 to 20+ many
of which are broadcast in the highest quality HD that is available
anywhere

There is benefits people aren't even aware of such as more space available
for cell phones. That may or may not mean anything to you but it's certainly
important for the millions of people that use them. The airwaves belong to us
as a whole and the most in demand wireless service is cell phones. Analog
broadcasts were taking up too much space, this transition has made more
space for new technologies.

The switch to digital has been benefit to many people in more ways than one,
you may not even watch OTA TV and have benefited.
On your last point: I do watch OTA - that is the reason I started the poll and this thread! I'm just going along with the whole digital thing. I did not embrace it ten years ago and I still don't embrace it now. It's just something that I use because it's the only form of broadcast existing now. And I can neither afford nor do I desire to become a slave to subscriber television(cable or sat).

And by the way coalman, as an OTA watcher there are fewer of me than those goobers who watch TV on a screen smaller than their hand. Think about that, and realize just whom the digital OTA TV transition has really benefitted. Hint: It aint us roof-toppers!

If analog returned tomorrow, for me it would be as if it never went away. I'd embrace it fully, including it's snowiness but still audible signal on weaker or distant stations.

Same with automobiles: the next one I buy will be at least several model years older than the 2015 I drive now. I'd still be driving my 2008 car if it wasn't totalled in a crash that was not my fault. That car performed and did everything I needed it to.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 09-23-2019 at 10:53 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
And I can neither afford nor do I desire to become a slave to subscriber television(cable or sat).

I just ordered the streaming service Philo, it's $20 a month. No sports or news though.

https://try.philo.com/

Quote:
And by the way coalman, as an OTA watcher there are fewer of me than those goobers who watch TV on a screen smaller than their hand. Think about that, and realize just whom the digital OTA TV transition has really benefitted. Hint: It aint us roof-toppers!

I know my Grandmother that recently passed was quite happy with the additional channels. She was 100 when she passed.

Quote:
If analog returned tomorrow, for me it would be as if it never went away. I'd embrace it fully, including it's snowiness but still audible signal on weaker or distant stations.

I'm assuming you already have decent antenna?

Quote:
Same with automobiles: the next one I buy will be at least several model years older than the 2015 I drive now. I'd still be driving my 2008 car if it wasn't totalled in a crash that was not my fault. That car performed and did everything I needed it to.

I can't disagree with you about the cars, I like tech but too many gadgets to brake and there is another looming issue with all the onboard systems like navigation. Obsolescence.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I just ordered the streaming service Philo, it's $20 a
month. No sports or news though.

https://try.philo.com/

I know my Grandmother that recently passed was quite happy with
the additional channels. She was 100 when she passed.

I'm assuming you already have decent antenna?

I can't disagree with you about the cars, I like tech but too
many gadgets to brake and there is another looming issue
with all the onboard systems like navigation. Obsolescence.

1. Philo streaming: Like I said, I prefer to pay for TV once - that's for my rooftop aerial. Actually twice, for the TV and then the antenna, but you catch my drift! lol

2. Wow! Good for Grandma - her age I mean! I know both of ours meant the world to us. I wonder how many of us born in '70 or later will even reach 90.

3. Decent antenna. Got that covered - a real monster if I might add, with deep fringe capacity up to 100 miles.
The dang signal still severely pixalates or drops out for 5-10sec. even on New York mainstays, due to our location near a major flight path. When the dropout occurs, I just open a window and sure enough, there's the rumble and lights of a 747 or such overhead! With analog? Fugeddaboutit! Not even a slight intrusion of snow during the flight passover.

4. Auto tech: I'll just buy something with under 100,000 miles, a nice 2010 whatever with an aux jack for my phone, an actual CD player, and most important... a MOONROOF! Any car without the latter is like a coffin on wheels. Gotta have that sun streaming in overhead during cold winter months.

Three of of the dumbest recent car developments: Those g'donkin 18" or larger wheels with super fat tiahhz! Makes the thing feel and handle like a go-cart - too sensitive steering. Elimination of CD players by several makers - just stupid! Finally, a tablet in place of an actual dashboard - W T ??! How many sub-menus just to add some bass, or adjust the aircon? Oh, the last thing I saw while trying to find the navigation was someone's living room - CRASHHHH! Bad, just bad. I'm a knobs guy through and through, I can reach over and intuitively know what each one does, all with my eyes on the road, thank you. And my skinny high-profile tires keep me solidly in my lane.

Last edited by TheGrandK-Man; 09-24-2019 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-24-2019, 08:32 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
Quote:
I cannot believe how many older folks like yourself are embracing newer technologies that I disdain! You kind of sounded like a millennial in post #8.
I cannot believe how many older folks refuse to embrace technology...
Don't be my dad: "Can you come over and change the time on my VCR?!?"

Old 09-24-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Elimination of CD players by several makers - just stupid!

This isn't something I would not mind because I already have my entire collection ripped to MP3. It could all be at finger tips after inserting a single SD card. I bought a lower mileage 2006 Buick Lacrosse not too long ago. I'm actually going to remove the CD player and replace it with something MP3 compatible.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Don't be my dad: "Can you come over and change the time on my VCR?!?"

He needs to get a new VCR, the newer ones can get it from the broadcast... oh wait a minute.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I cannot believe how many older folks refuse to
embrace technology...
Don't be my dad: "Can you come over and change the time
on my VCR?!?"

Not around here! I'm barely fifty, and am resisting some new tech more than folks 10-20 years older than me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or