U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Terrestrial/Rooftop TV Antenna Users: Which form of interference could you tolerate most?
1. Pixellation and frequent dropouts 1 10.00%
2. Moderate 'snow', but can still see picture and hear the sound ok 9 90.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 10:52 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,364 posts, read 957,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This isn't something I would not mind because I already have my entire
collection ripped to MP3. It could all be at finger tips after inserting a single
SD card. I bought a lower mileage 2006 Buick Lacrosse not too long
ago. I'm actually going to remove the CD player and replace it with something
MP3 compatible.
Like I said, tech-wise I am far conservative and resistant to it than folks decades older than myself. Politically? Don't even go there! lol ✌️☮️✌️

I have an iPod and phone stocked with days, let alone hours, of music. But nothing quite matches the sound of a CD along for the ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 12:41 PM

3,957 posts, read 2,608,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Then you - and thecoalman - missed the point of both this post and the poll.

Television is an audio-visual experience. When the digital picture pixelates, and then blacks out, you lose sound also.

With analog, on a relatively distant channel, you might see increasing snowiness, but the audio remains mostly clear, even with an occasional flicker. One sense can help mask deficiencies in another, or deficiencies in that sensory input(aforementioned snowy TV pic). Your ears help make up for any snowiness in the picture, so subconsciously it doesn't bother you as much.

With digital, both senses - visual and auditory - are deprived during a dropout, which I, among others I'm sure, find annoying.

You can hopefully guess where I'm going with the whole digital transition as it happened in the first place.
The only thing I know is that I have not seen an analog broadcast in at least 10 years. It's a dumb question and completely irrelevant. There is NO snow, at least not any more.

Can you receive analog TV broadcasts? I'm curious.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:38 PM

1,292 posts, read 768,410 times
I love the high definition pictures we get with the present system. I have no choice about how the broadcast signal is encoded for delivery over the air. For television I absolutely embrace the new technology.

I agree with you on cars. I do not run my life through my smart phone, I have a land line, and still write a few checks. I still run a couple computers with winXP and one with Win98. I don't think I'd be accepted by the millennials.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:44 PM

1,284 posts, read 449,798 times
First, it's called "broadcast TV", not "terrestrial antenna TV".

Second, it's not "pixelation", it's "macroblocking".

Digital television does not have "snow" in low-reception areas. That's an analogue TV thing, and is rapidly becoming a thing of the past. It's either there and decodable or it isn't.

Finally, not being "accepted" by the millennials isn't necessarily a bad thing. Many minds outside of the hive. Do not be afraid to stand alone.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:54 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
2,364 posts, read 957,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
First, it's called "broadcast TV", not "terrestrial antenna TV".

Digital television does not have "snow" in low-reception areas.
That's an analogue TV thing, and is rapidly becoming a thing
of the past. It's either there and decodable or it isn't.

1. broadcast vs terrestrial: Irrelevant, nit picking

2. pixelation or macroblocking: See #1.

3. Analog thing of the past: Again, you and gguerra refuse, either intentionally or due to insufficient RAM, to get the point of this thread and its poll.

I've already explained it, several posts back, and I'm wasting no more keystrokes restating things. From now on, expect no response from me to comments from either one of you.

Old 09-24-2019, 02:53 PM

3,957 posts, read 2,608,667 times
Quote:
1. broadcast vs terrestrial: Irrelevant, nit picking

2. pixelation or macroblocking: See #1.

3. Analog thing of the past: Again, you and gguerra refuse, either intentionally or due to insufficient RAM, to get the point of this thread and its poll.

I've already explained it, several posts back, and I'm wasting no more keystrokes restating things. From now on, expect no response from me to comments from either one of you.
Lol

This was your question/poll.

Quote:
Quote:
In terms of interference, would you prefer pixellation and frequent dropouts on distant channels, or, moderate amounts of 'snow'?
The point? It's a pretty simple question but any answer to this would not matter and it's not due to insufficient RAM, all I have to do is scroll and look at your original question. If you ask a stupid question, you may not like the answer, I don't need a response or you wasting any keystrokes. You were doing that from the onset.

The answer to your question is that there is NO point to it, if you don't like the response, too bad.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:32 PM

40,169 posts, read 41,775,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post

Both terms are used for artifacts where they are actually part of the stream. If there is not enough bitrate allocated you get macroblocking. In a sense it's missing data but it was replaced with the next best thing, the video and audio stream is complete. This would actually be similar compariosn to "snow" in that you have complete audio and the video is still watchable to some degree. This however is not a reception issue but a source issue.

The lights are moving fast and there is not enough bitrate to reproduce their movement. The people are moving slow so you don't see it there.

Hey peregrine, here comes those pictures again, LOL

As far as the OTA digital broadcast these have tremendous amount of bitrate available and this should never occur. It's should be near if not the highest quality HD you can get, one thing to note is some of the secondary channels are broadcast in SD. You may see similar issues on cable or video streaming services because they do not utilize anywhere near the bitrate on OTA. In particular with rapidly changing content like flashing lights for example.

What he is referring to (I think) is complete loss of the video/audio stream, I don't know if the same term is used. They are similar issues but not quite the same.

Last edited by thecoalman; 09-24-2019 at 05:50 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
and it's not due to insufficient RAM,

Now you have to admit that was a pretty good zinger. LOL

Old 09-24-2019, 11:17 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,954,365 times
So you're my age?!?! And embarrassing me.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
So you're my age?!?! And embarrassing me.

That makes three of us, Combat anyone? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or