Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: For Terrestrial/Rooftop TV Antenna Users: Which form of interference could you tolerate most?
1. Pixellation and frequent dropouts 1 10.00%
2. Moderate 'snow', but can still see picture and hear the sound ok 9 90.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 02:40 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Whoosh.
You completely missed his point. HD signals are also TERRESTRIAL
if your definition of TERRESTRIAL is point a to point b. That word
makes no sense in this context.

I don't think there's a soul alive who thinks OTA... errr... TERRESTRIAL
TV went away in 2009....

Well that is how the subscriber providers portrayed it! Two, four, and even eight years after the digital broadcast transition, I had folks responding to me with shock, asking me how I was able to use an old fashioned antenna to receive TV signal. They thought the only way to get TV in America after 2009 was to pay for cable or satellite.

Maybe, Peregrine, people around you are smarter than people who live where I do. But everyone know what terrestrial broadcasting means: AM/FM/shortwave/CB, Ham, etc are all forms of terrestrial broadcasting: The transmission begins at one point on Earth's surface, travels through the atmosphere, and is received at another point on Earth's surface.

If that definition of terrestrial does not satisfy you, then I don't know what can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Same system you seem to want back, has/had been in
existence for 65 years. That's what it means. It was long overdue for an improvement.
All of 30fps and 525 lines in analog brilliance. NOT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC

That's 59 & change interlaced frames per second, and it worked just fine. Like I said earlier, and I can't believe a forty-something is explaining this to someone older, but....

If something ain't broke, don't fix it!

Old 09-29-2019, 05:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post

Unable to support modern resolutions and other features along with taking up far more bandwidth than it needed too is a very big issue. Using a horse and wagon to get from point A to point B may get you where you are going but there are better methods of transportation. In this case the continued use of the horse and wagon was blocking those other technologies.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:32 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
If that definition of terrestrial does not satisfy you, then I don't know what can.
You are implying that "HD TV Channels are NOT Terrestrial".
Technically they are as they are broadcast exactly like the analog signals are. In fact, your old rooftop antenna can be used to pick them up.
The only TV that would be considered NOT Terrestrial by your definition is Satellite...

Old 09-30-2019, 09:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
That's 59 & change interlaced frames per second, and it worked just fine. Like I said earlier, and I can't believe a forty-something is explaining this to someone older, but....

Nobody ever said it was broke. It doesn't matter, it's old technology. What's next, 8-Track tape and cassettes? That's not broke either, see many people using it?

Forty-something? lol, I wish. I'm 56.

I'm old enough to remember the old tech and young enough to appreciate the new. I am in IT, I have to keep up, otherwise I would be a dinosaur. If you ask a millennial, I would be considered a dinosaur.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:35 AM

1,517 posts, read 989,641 times
Quote:
everyone know what terrestrial broadcasting means: AM/FM/shortwave/CB, Ham, etc are all forms of terrestrial broadcasting
Careful with that. You're liable to start at least one or two religious old-fart hammies hyperventilating and pounding their fists on the table about ham radio being specifically a point-to-point transmission between two parties and does not, repeat NOT repeat repeat ******NOT****** qualify as broadcasting and don't you DARE confuse the terms you heathen!!!!!!!11!1 They're known to start wars over silly things like that sometimes.

I don't get it either.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You are implying that "HD TV Channels are NOT Terrestrial".

Technically they are as they are broadcast exactly like the analog signals
are. In fact, your old rooftop antenna can be used to pick them up.
The only TV that would be considered NOT Terrestrial by your definition
is Satellite...
Take a remedial reading comprehension course, please.

I never said, anywhere, that Digital OTA/HD wasn't terrestrial. Read carefully next time.

I said that the cable and sat cos successfully convinced a large percentage of the public that ALL terrestrial - analog and digital - would go away in 2009.

Why do I get so many reactions when I tell folks I still use an antenna to pick up terrestrial OTA broadcasts?

Old 09-30-2019, 02:03 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,319 times
Snow was what happened when analog signals weren't sufficient. Digital signals don't do that...either you get a picture, or you don't, no snow.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Snow was what happened when analog signals weren't
sufficient. Digital signals don't do that...either you get a
picture, or you don't, no snow.

I know all of that. I'm just waxing nostalgic for those 'snow' days, vs the all-or-nothing of the current DTV age..

Old 10-01-2019, 09:04 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Take a remedial reading comprehension course, please.
Don't be a d***, please.

Quote:
I never said, anywhere, that Digital OTA/HD wasn't terrestrial. Read carefully next time.
You absolutely made it sound like the TV that pixelates is not broadcast TV...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics