Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 02:09 PM

521 posts, read 517,560 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. There is an interesting article on the Wall Street Journal website that details Amazon's plan to install their surveillance devices in every apartment complex and home. It isn't enough that we choose not to buy their listening devices, Amazon is now forcing their technology onto unsuspecting consumers.

From the article: "Amazon has figured out a way to get into millions of homes without consumers ever having to choose its hardware and services in the first place."

I don't have to tell you how intrusive these devices are. The speakers are constantly "listening" and recording every word we say. I personally do not want any Alexa products in my apartment or home. Amazon mailed me a free Alexa speaker as a Christmas gift ($150 value) a few years ago. It went straight into the trash.

I give up enough privacy online and on my smartphone. Btw, I disabled microphone, camera and GPS on my phone and I do not have any apps on my phone except for the ones already preinstalled.

These devices are already installed in thousands of the newer apartment complexes around the country. My advice: read your lease agreements very carefully for the words "Alexa", "Amazon", "listening", "smart technology", etc.

If the link takes you to a paywall, you can clear your cache and read the full article by following the link on Drudge.com.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazons...do-11559361605
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 02:39 PM

2,681 posts, read 2,163,227 times
Its curious how many people are willing to trade privacy for convenience. Many people don't understand or believe that Alexa is listening all the time, and if they do, the attitude is "I don't care, I'm not doing anything wrong." Maybe not, but Amazon making money out of selling your privacy to vendors definitely is wrong.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:17 PM

577 posts, read 484,320 times
But, but, a news reporter the other day stated that Amazon has been working on their customers privacy concerns about Alexa.

So they fixed it. All one has to do now after giving Alexa a command is then say to Alexa, .....

" Alexa, delete my previous command".

Old 06-01-2019, 03:38 PM

2,681 posts, read 2,163,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
But, but, a news reporter the other day stated that Amazon has been working on their customers privacy concerns about Alexa.

So they fixed it. All one has to do now after giving Alexa a command is then say to Alexa, .....

" Alexa, delete my previous command".

Aha! So what happens if you tell Alexa to delete that one? Does the first command come back?

Old 06-01-2019, 05:14 PM

577 posts, read 484,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post

Aha! So what happens if you tell Alexa to delete that one? Does the first command come back?
I don't know. I was laughing too hard as I heard the news reporter say the above.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:55 PM

The thread title should say "Amazon's plan" not "Amazon's Plant".

Old 06-03-2019, 12:10 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,395,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
The thread title should say "Amazon's plan" not "Amazon's Plant".
Not if you consider they are actually "planting" a listening device, lol.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Not if you consider they are actually "planting" a listening device, lol.

Lol! Good one!

Old 06-03-2019, 08:17 PM

Did the U.S. government throw Internet switch? Google users locked out of their homes, couldn't use AC during outage.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90358396...-or-use-the-ac

Old 06-03-2019, 09:37 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,175,528 times
I could not figure out how to read this but it certainly sounds creepy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics