U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 06:53 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,614,083 times

Advertisements

They overcompress the TV signals horribly. If you don't think so, look at an uncompressed over the air HDTV signal and compare it with what you get on cable or satellite. Would you be willing to pay more for uncompressed HDTV?

HD enthusiasts crying foul over cable TV's crunched signals - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 12:24 PM

16,305 posts, read 13,792,884 times
I haven't seen any difference. Cable HDTV channels look the same as over the air channels.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:21 PM

1,268 posts, read 886,787 times
My new Plasma screen is flawless. It knows no failure.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:54 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,783,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I haven't seen any difference. Cable HDTV channels look the same as over the air channels.
If it looks good to you, don't worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
My new Plasma screen is flawless. It knows no failure.
This isn't an issue with your TV, its the signal going to the TV. Its like the difference between using a regular old standard definition composite video cable vs. component/dvi/hdmi - the TV is the same, its the signal thats not as good.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,901 posts, read 33,639,931 times
I thought this thread was going to be about people not knowing the difference between SD and HD signals. The other day, I was at my favorite barber shop when I noticed they were watching the SD version of our local ABC station on their 50-inch plasma TV. The barber shop has cable and our local cable has HD, so the only reason I could figure was that they just didn't know any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
They overcompress the TV signals horribly. If you don't think so, look at an uncompressed over the air HDTV signal and compare it with what you get on cable or satellite. Would you be willing to pay more for uncompressed HDTV?
It's not a matter of needing to pay more. The systems are using compression because they simply don't have the capacity to provide additional full-bandwidth HD channels. This problem will solve itself in 2011 when cable systems are allowed to stop sending bandwidth-hogging analog channels over their systems. Freeing up the analog channels will eliminate the crunch that's forcing cable to use compression.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:39 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,783,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
It's not a matter of needing to pay more. The systems are using compression because they simply don't have the capacity to provide additional full-bandwidth HD channels. This problem will solve itself in 2011 when cable systems are allowed to stop sending bandwidth-hogging analog channels over their systems. Freeing up the analog channels will eliminate the crunch that's forcing cable to use compression.
2012 - and thats not necessarily the cut off date either, there will be a review by the FCC. Which seems odd to me anyway, as the FCC really shouldn't have the ability to control cable companies, they don't have the required percentage of customers, last I checked.

Anyways, thats not the problem anyway. Satellite companies have a very widespread offering, and in order to keep up, most cable companies are over-compressing to shove more channels into their line up. As a result, most are going with about 75% resolution (ie: 75% of SD resolution, but without noise, many viewers aren't really going to think its worse). In other words, its happening because the cable companies have made a decision to compress to damn near VHS quality because it lets them show how many channels (even though most suck) they have, which is why you as a consumer should go with cable instead of satellite or fiber.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:50 PM

16,305 posts, read 13,792,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I thought this thread was going to be about people not knowing the difference between SD and HD signals. The other day, I was at my favorite barber shop when I noticed they were watching the SD version of our local ABC station on their 50-inch plasma TV. The barber shop has cable and our local cable has HD, so the only reason I could figure was that they just didn't know any better.
Or don't like it because the HD channel frequently doesn't fill in on the sides. I find the sides of the picture missing to be annoying, myself.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:42 AM

1,341 posts, read 5,679,793 times
I agree with StillwaterTownie's assessment.

My mom had Cox cable and the digital and HD channels looked very chunky to me on the 30" widescreen LCD that I bought for her. By contrast, I have a 46" Sonia Bravia LCD and I have a Dish Network HD-DVR and the HD channels on Dish Network are flipping awesome. The quality is an order of magnitude better than traditional cable. I suspect this is because the satellite has a much wider "pipe" and can fit more content through without as much compression and quality loss.

Quote:
Or don't like it because the HD channel frequently doesn't fill in on the sides. I find the sides of the picture missing to be annoying, myself.
I don't have this problem but I've seen that before. Most players and TVs can be configured to avoid this behavior.

Honestly, if I was stuck with traditional cable HD, I'd stick with a modern analog TV, like a used rear projection CRT TV (the CRT is important because its analog whereas LCD or DLP projection TVs are digital). Analog sets make the screen artifacts caused by compression more tolerable.

If you had traditional cable and really wanted better quality HD then I'd investigate Dish Network. I'm sort of an early adopter and I've had nothing but a pleasurable experience with DN's HD-DVR players.

I'm really happy with HD technology. After 7 years I recently upgraded our home video camera from our trusty Sony Digital-8 to a Sony HD recorder with a built-in hard drive. The quality is amazing. Once the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD battle sorted itself out, I bought the LG Blu-Ray burner for my PC, and the Panasonic Blu-Ray player for my TV. So now we can burn our family home videos to HD. I've been pretty jazzed about that.

Sean

Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,851,827 times
I have low-def eyes...I don't need a high-def signal.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,901 posts, read 33,639,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
Most players and TVs can be configured to avoid this behavior.
The stretch-o-vision solution makes people look abnormally wide. I'd rather see the black bars than see everyone look like linebackers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or