Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 02:01 AM

227 posts, read 97,615 times

Advertisements

OP, what did you end up with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 07:46 PM

313 posts, read 265,268 times
Thanks for asking. I'll order the Klipsch Heresy IV once we've moved.
They are smaller than other styles I've owned, but hopefully produce a sound similar to our old Infinity Quantum 5's.

Old 01-09-2021, 11:25 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,650,602 times
Where you place the speakers in the room makes a big difference, too.

In the old days there was a lot of advice on that, but now maybe people assume “ominidirectional” speakers will make it a braindead job. And the amp (or receiver) should have enough power to drive the speakers.

Also, the sound characteristics of the room depends on more than sheer volume. The shape of the ceiling (vaulted, huh?), the shape of the room (long and narrow or square or nonrectangular?), openings in the walls (windows, doors, cutouts with OR without glass in them), type of floor surface, presence or absence of deadening materials such as drapes, carpet, upholstery, etc make a BIG difference sound quality.

Also, where is the main area in the room where you would pay the most attention to the music? I don’t mind that sound is not equally good everywhere in the room, but it had better be good in the main place I would really listen to the music, as opposed to moving around doing chores or whatever.

IME, small speakers relying on a separate subwoofer for the bass does not produce a pleasing balance. That’s why I have kept all my “old school” components until they wore out. At this time, the Onkyo tuner is the oldest item in use, bought new in 1984. The rest is from the ‘80s and ‘90s. The 1975 turntable has been stored for a long time, because I would need to have it overhauled (it runs but the speed is slow and uneven, as though the motor needs cleaning and lubing). We live very far from where such service is likely to be found.

The so-called bookshelf speakers (huge by current standards) still sound good.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:42 AM

313 posts, read 265,268 times
Thanks. Good info. We're building a log cabin and don't want the hassle of built ins or wiring throughout the ceiling and walls.

Old school cabinet speakers sound good and will work. Hassle free as we age, if they need replacing. Our small ceiling/wall speakers blew out/distorted frequently.

We too have our old 80's and 90's components, Onkyo receiver, amp.
We like 70's, 80's, 90's and some current alternative music. Cabinet speakers pair well with this older music. We don't listen to the new auto tuned, digitally made music. This influences our speaker selection as well.

Old 01-11-2021, 08:14 PM

226 posts, read 156,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withinpines View Post

We too have our old 80's and 90's components, Onkyo receiver, amp.
We like 70's, 80's, 90's and some current alternative music. Cabinet speakers pair well with this older music. We don't listen to the new auto tuned, digitally made
Nice taste in music. I love Classic Rock.

One time in a stereo store the clerk was showing me speakers.
He was explaining things well, but started to get a wee bit too technical for me.

I told him that I am not an audiophile, and besides,
after a few beers it doesn't matter - cause I'm tuned.

He smiled in a cute dorky kind of way.

I bought a pair of speakers and headed for Happy hour...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics