U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:10 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,682,754 times

Advertisements

I have Directv and get NFL Sunday Ticket every year. So if you like sports and want to watch your teams games if you aren't in the local market, then that is the way to go. They have it for all 4 major sports. Look at what they all have to offer and what you are wanting before making your final decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 11:20 PM

10,739 posts, read 32,120,507 times
Directv has international TV, a long list of coutries are accessible with an eliptical dish.

I have had the same dish on my house since 2002, it survived through 3 hurricanes in 2004 with no problem. Very little problem with rain fade.

I have used Dish and didn't care for their service.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:13 PM

520 posts, read 2,310,169 times
i like cable because i do not have to pay extra to hook it up to extra tv's. I have 5 tv's so i'd have to pay quite a bit extra for the extra dish or directv receivers.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:26 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,784,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
i like cable because i do not have to pay extra to hook it up to extra tv's. I have 5 tv's so i'd have to pay quite a bit extra for the extra dish or directv receivers.
That only works for basic cable though... you would need to lease additional boxes with digital/dvr/hd services.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:51 PM

719 posts, read 2,377,926 times
We made the move to HD last year just in time to watch our Rox lose the World Series. We chose Comcast Cable for their "On Demand" feature, basically a massive library of programming you watch whenever you want, and can stop/pause/rewind whenever as well. With DSS, you need a DVR or TIVO for that.
One gripe I have with all these providers is you should be able to order channels a la carte, instead of paying lots of $ for those preconceived packages!

Old 05-20-2008, 05:22 PM

132 posts, read 489,207 times
I used to work for Cox Cable back east, and we were brainwashed to say that satellite service was horrible, especially in rainy weather.

Fast forward a few years, and I'm glad I never got cable as a customer. I used Dish at first, but was very unhappy with their policies. I ordered a UFC event and halfway through it cut off, so I called customer service, and he said for some reason it kicked me out of the server.

So he gets me back on after 15 minutes, I get a phone call during the even, so I hit pause, and once I press play, it kicks me out again! So I call after to tell that that I only got to see 2 fights, and I asked for some kind of refund (which DirecTV happily gave me at one point) and Dish said they do not refund on PPV's. So I said ok, see you later-went back to DirecTV.

-Angel

Old 07-19-2010, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,124 times
I recently switched from Dish to Directv with HD DVR "whole house" service. after 10 days, my satellite stopped receiving a signal and Directv's "customer service" said that it would be FOUR DAYS before they could send out a service tech to try to fix my problem! in 3 years of service from Dish Network, I NEVER has more than a brief delay in service due to weather - I'm so sorry I ever switched!

Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,307,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post
I don't know how necessary television is in your life...

But, have you considered just getting rabbit ears? You'll get all the essentials (FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, WB, etc), and you can get a subscription to Netflix for cheap if you really want to watch some movies...
Hey same here; except instead of rabbit ears I have a large outdoor antenna. The only thing we pay for is netflix and we use the streaming feature for the majority of our TV viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz
Nothing beats the BUD during stormy weather. Alias there aren't any triple play packages bundled with these.
The problem with that is motorola is ending support for the receivers, which means c-band subscriptions are coming to an end. Most broadcasters just aren't using motorola's technology anymore.

Back to the original question;

Cable usually has the poorest resolution (except FIOS) but their 'on-demand' feature is incomparible. Their prices always seem to be the highest also; some small operators, such as the one in my town, offer analog-only service at unbeatable prices. When we had cable I paid $25/mo for 70 popular channels plus 3 HBO channels and Encore movie channel.

Between dish and directv; dish has the lowest pricing, best equipment, but their HD resolutions are slightly lower than directv. that being said, i cannot personally see the difference.

Directv's new MRV system looks very intersting. it uses moca technology for networking which means you won't need additional cabling for the whole-home DVR feature.

Both dish network and directv's 'on-demand' feature is horrible. The selection is limited and you can only watch what has been downloaded to your receiver via your own broadband connection; 'on-demand' shows are not sent through the satellite, so if your ISP has any type of bandwidth restrictions you should not even attempt to use this feature.

I've had both dish and directv and felt dish's customer service was the lesser of two evil's.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:48 AM

10,170 posts, read 10,499,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nl2134 View Post
I don't know how necessary television is in your life...

But, have you considered just getting rabbit ears? You'll get all the essentials (FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, WB, etc), and you can get a subscription to Netflix for cheap if you really want to watch some movies...
TiVo is selling a $50 device (plus $15/month) that is a DVR for over the air television. Although most shows are available as Video on Demand on the internet, the DVR lets you fast forward through commercials. Plus you decide when to delete a show (not the TV network), and if ABC makes you wait 7 days to watch a show VOD on internet, the TiVo lets you watch it next day. Even sports can benefit from DVR, as you start recording the game even if you are coming back home late. You can start watching the game and skip commercials. Soon you are caught up to real time and see the end of the game in reality.

If you have good TV reception, the TiVo DVR is a reasonable way to watch shows when you want.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:52 PM

6,865 posts, read 9,550,455 times
I've been with DISH for 15 years. Back then, you had to buy the system [$179]. And a good thing. I figured I would have already paid $800 to lease the box. Never have had any problems until 2 moths ago when the 15 year old LNB on the dish died. Two days later on a Sunday, a repair guy replaced it NO CHARGE.
A couple of days later, received a post card from DISH that my 15 year old receiver had to be replaced because of old tech. They sent a newer replacement. NO CHARGE. Two weeks later, the 10 year old 32" Toshiba CRT tv monster died. Bought my first Samsung UN48H6350 HDTV. For about a week, I noticed a slight flick every 7 seconds but only when using the DISH receiver, OTA antenna channels, no problem. Turned out the SD box was not compatible with the HDTV. Bought a HD box for $89 [no lease fee] from an authorized dealer dishdepot . Called CS to activate, took 5 minutes. Tried to talk me into upgrading to HD service [$10 more a month] I'm staying on SD for now. To get HD, I need a Dish1000 for 3 sats. $89
I haven't had any problems with DISH except for the $5 a month rate increase every February.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics