U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:13 PM

20,302 posts, read 18,286,297 times

Advertisements

I am currently paying $169 for digital cable, roadrunner, and digital phone. I believe that this is way to much so I am thinking about switching to satillite. I have a friend who has Directv, roadrunner and digital phone and pays about $120 for all which is why I am thinking about switching. Any one here have Dish or Direct? Which is best? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 07:57 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,636,393 times
dish has a lot of great cheap packages but directv seems to have more channels

Old 05-03-2008, 07:56 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,784,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
dish has a lot of great cheap packages but directv seems to have more channels
Yeah, but more doesn't mean anything if you don't watch the channels....

I have a few hundred channels with dish, and I bunch of them I don't even watch. Pricing is great though

Old 05-03-2008, 07:44 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,620,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I am currently paying $169 for digital cable, roadrunner, and digital phone. I believe that this is way to much so I am thinking about switching to satillite. I have a friend who has Directv, roadrunner and digital phone and pays about $120 for all which is why I am thinking about switching. Any one here have Dish or Direct? Which is best? Thanks for the help.
I have Dish and I like it. I had it as stand alone for 9 years but a few months ago I found that the telephone company partners with Dish so I had it added to my phone and internet and got $10 off what I was paying. What you pay depends on how many TV sets you have on it, if you have a DVR and what package you have.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:22 PM

783 posts, read 2,370,979 times
Watch alot of international channels? then go with dish.

It's the best out there hands down.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:40 PM

1,479 posts, read 4,188,205 times
Here are many comments on the cable/Direct TV/Dish Network debate from Engadget.

Link

Old 05-04-2008, 07:43 PM

468 posts, read 1,525,513 times
I don't know how necessary television is in your life...

But, have you considered just getting rabbit ears? You'll get all the essentials (FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, WB, etc), and you can get a subscription to Netflix for cheap if you really want to watch some movies...

Old 05-04-2008, 07:51 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,037,960 times
Personally I think that paying to watch TV shows and commercials is beyond stupid. Other than some specialty movie channels, charging for TV should be illegal. The companies bombard us with microwaves, or use our living space to place their ugly cables, so they should not be charging for the "service". More often than not, it's all the same stuff repeated on different channels.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:59 PM

8,241 posts, read 11,409,748 times
In my side by side comparisons I always found Dish to be the more for less than the other 2 choices. Much may depend on if you are doing a cable modem. I found DSL and Dish ended up being cheaper than a full cable package. Also cable has few digital iimage stations, unlike the satellites. Around here I think it is 9, they still never look as clean as Dish. Now mind you you need to make sure you have a solid 100 or more signal strength.

You will hear people say in a storm you will lose your satelitte if signal strength is that high it will maintain through some rough storms... I live in FL and we have some good ones. Watch the packages of any of them you will find some good offers out there.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:14 PM

783 posts, read 2,370,979 times
Nothing beats the BUD during stormy weather. Alias there aren't any triple play packages bundled with these.

Like AONE said strong signal strength with Ka or Ku band providers such as Dish rule out any signal loss in poor weather. But remember not the extreme worst weather if u know what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics