Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 09:06 AM

16 posts, read 9,248 times

Advertisements

My dish box has 2 outputs. The #1 TV has an HDMI cable going to the master TV. The 2nd cable is a std. coax (not HD) and goes to TV#2 upstairs. I just bought a new "smart" TV for upstairs and would like to connect the coax to the new TV's HDMI port. Is there an adapter that will work? I'm not trying to upgrade the signal to HD, but rather just want to be able to use the HDMI port.

The TV DOES have a coax input, but that is already in use with an antenna for local channels. I don't want to keep switching cables, hence the need for a second place to input the signal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 12:20 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,414 times
Why not just get something like this?

Attached Thumbnails
Connect TV Coax Cable to HDMI Port?-switchbox.jpg  

Old 01-03-2021, 12:28 PM

My Sat Dish cable requires the TV to be tuned to ch 73, which is non existent. If I use that antenna switch and do a search I DO get the local channels but not 73. So, that works ok but the dish won't at all.

If I scan with the antenna off, 73 DOES come up, but nothing else, so then the dish works and the antenna doesn't.

There is no way to manually enter channel 73.

I can have one or the other, but I want both. Somehow I have to use a second port and the HDMI is what's available.

Old 01-03-2021, 01:02 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsmJim View Post
My Sat Dish cable requires the TV to be tuned to ch 73, which is non existent. If I use that antenna switch and do a search I DO get the local channels but not 73. So, that works ok but the dish won't at all.

If I scan with the antenna off, 73 DOES come up, but nothing else, so then the dish works and the antenna doesn't.

I can have one or the other, but I want both. Somehow I have to use a second port and the HDMI is what's available.
So - sounds like you need a tuner box that takes coax as its input, can receive channel 73, and has HDMI as its output.

Amazon has any number of those available.
For $30, this one is "Amazon's Choice", and even has recording capability:
https://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HO.../dp/B01EW098XS

With Amazon's free return policy - may be worth a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Connect TV Coax Cable to HDMI Port?-tunerbox.jpg  

Old 01-03-2021, 01:04 PM

20,613 posts, read 4,406,852 times
They don't work.
https://www.hdtvsupply.com/coax-to-hdmi-cable.html

You need a tuner box. You plug the coax cable into the tuner box, then connect the HDMI cable to the tuner box and you new tv.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:17 PM

Thanks to all. I have the suggested tuner from Amazon on order. The wife wanted a small item as well, but it wasn't worth the shipping charge, but the 2 items together qualified for free shipping.

Thanks again...

Old 01-04-2021, 02:05 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
Quote:

It's probably too late but there are other ways to do this.

One obvious way is to change the RF channel on the dish receiver. You don't have to use 73, you can choose just about any channel.

The dish technician should of done this for you.

You can also manually enter 73 from the remote and it should tune it in assuming the dish receiver is on and broadcasting on that channel.

Seems ludicrous to have to buy an extra piece of equipment for this.

Old 01-04-2021, 06:13 PM

TV #2 (the one I'm trying to fix), by default, uses channel 73. The tech set it that way per the manual. However, he said that I could change that to anything above 73 if I wanted to.

Channel 73 itself has been eliminated everywhere from broadcast, so it won't come up when doing a channel search scan.

In my area, there are no local channels available above 73, so the scan gives me no other option, thus changing the dish receiver to another number won't do any good.

The TV itself won't allow a change to any channel that didn't already come up in a scan. The TV I'm replacing would allow a manual input from 1 to 99.

Old 01-05-2021, 07:27 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
Quote:
TV #2 (the one I'm trying to fix), by default, uses channel 73. The tech set it that way per the manual. However, he said that I could change that to anything above 73 if I wanted to.

Channel 73 itself has been eliminated everywhere from broadcast, so it won't come up when doing a channel search scan.

In my area, there are no local channels available above 73, so the scan gives me no other option, thus changing the dish receiver to another number won't do any good.

The TV itself won't allow a change to any channel that didn't already come up in a scan. The TV I'm replacing would allow a manual input from 1 to 99.
I think you missed my point. There are no regular broadcasts on channel 73 which is the reason the dish receivers use that one. The "broadcast" I was speaking of would be coming from the dish receiver itself. It has to be on and active on that channel for your TV to pick it up when you scan. Similarly, even if it wasn't on when doing the scan, you can turn your dish receiver on for the 2nd TV, it should start to broadcast on that channel and then you should be able to punch in 73 on the remote. Some modern TVs do not let you tune in to a channel unless there is a signal, some do. Also, just be aware, you will not get HD using a coaxial cable. I don't know if that'a important. In order to get HD you would need to get what you were asking for to begin with. This is it and it's a bit pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/single-75ohm-.../dp/B00HWIWEMU

There may be cheaper options but for this price, I would just have them do another cable run and receiver for the 2nd TV if I really wanted HD. Problem solved but a little more per month for the extra receiver.

Bottom line, you should not need another tuner to do this.

What service, is it Dish Network and what kind of (model) receiver is it?

Old 01-05-2021, 07:40 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,668,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
then you should be able to punch in 73 on the remote.
Very few remotes have numbers nowadays. I think that's what's going on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics