U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:09 AM

8,062 posts, read 16,357,651 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure if this was the place to post but it's probably the best match. Does anyone here use VOIP phone service? Specifically Vonics?

It appears that Vonics has done a runner -- phone service won't work and their website isn't showing up online anymore. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and what they might be doing about it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 08:05 AM

4,609 posts, read 8,207,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I wasn't sure if this was the place to post but it's probably the best match. Does anyone here use VOIP phone service? Specifically Vonics?

It appears that Vonics has done a runner -- phone service won't work and their website isn't showing up online anymore. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and what they might be doing about it.

Thanks!
I had SunRocket... which pretty much did the same thing (albeit they simply went belly up). I've never heard of Vonics... but here is a tip on VoIP services in general .... VoIP relies on Internet connectivity - Internet Connectivity mainly relies on carriers to route/switch those packets..... carriers have their own VoIP services.... so you can imagine how hard it would be to sustain a business offering the same services as Comcast, Verizon etc (even vonage's future is uncertain depending on who you talk to)....I believe there are still some patent lawsuits over the switching technology for VoIP as well.

I basically paid $200 for two years of service. And they went belly up about 5 months into my contract. I never saw any of the money..... Chalked it up to not doing my research while trying to save a buck... now
I 'm with Voicewing (verizon) for $20 a month. While its more, I don't see them folding any time soon.

My suggestion is that you switch it to another service as soon as you can to ensure you retain your phone number.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,173,076 times
teatime, other Vonics users are beginning to post around the net... some are receiving the following email:

Dear Valued Vonics Subscriber,

We sincerely apologize for the service outage that you are currently experiencing. We were in process of upgrading our networks and ran into a major problem at our head-end. We lost our main fiber optic connection which comes to our network and carries all our voice and data. We are diligently trying to get it fixed by our provider and partner.
This has caused loss of connection to all our main and backup networks causing us serious problems from service outage of Vonics business lines and yours. We were also unable to send out timely emails since access to all our mail servers was cut off. We are trying to get the service back up and running shortly. Current ETA is 4:00 am PST.

We again apologize for the service interruption and sincerely appreciate your understanding and patience.

Regards,

Vonics Customer Service

I'll DM you a link to the forum where I found that.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:56 PM

Thanks, LadyRobyn.

this is the pits. The worst part is that the service was OK in the very beginning and I recommended this service to friends. Now, we're all stuck.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:30 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,620,553 times
Independent VOIP providers are dying off as the cable and telcos get into the business themselves. You can get the same thing Vonage offers from cable and att for less.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Independent VOIP providers are dying off as the cable and telcos get into the business themselves. You can get the same thing Vonage offers from cable and att for less.
Actually, when I had Time Warner cable, I did try their digital phone service and it was WORSE than Vonics! The signal was so weak that the phone wouldn't even ring or get a dial tone half of the time. Of course, whenever they sent their technicians, it worked somewhat and the technicians tried to imply I was imagining things!

Only one of the technicians took me aside finally, said he believed me and said their system was flawed and needed to be upgraded. Apparently, when a bunch of people in the neighborhood subscribe to Time Warner, they're sharing all of the services on one cable and it severely limits the power of the signal. The techie said that TW could upgrade the capacity but they didn't want to spend the money. So, I got rid of it.

I just increased the minutes on my cellphone plan and I'm using the cellphone exclusively now. That's never failed me!

Old 05-10-2008, 04:24 PM

38,690 posts, read 90,206,984 times
I've had no issues whatsoever with my VoIP, which is provided by my internet provider (though I think they contract it out to a third-party vendor). Maybe it helps that I'm on DSL and not a shared cable loop.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Actually, when I had Time Warner cable, I did try their digital phone service and it was WORSE than Vonics! The signal was so weak that the phone wouldn't even ring or get a dial tone half of the time. Of course, whenever they sent their technicians, it worked somewhat and the technicians tried to imply I was imagining things!

Only one of the technicians took me aside finally, said he believed me and said their system was flawed and needed to be upgraded. Apparently, when a bunch of people in the neighborhood subscribe to Time Warner, they're sharing all of the services on one cable and it severely limits the power of the signal. The techie said that TW could upgrade the capacity but they didn't want to spend the money. So, I got rid of it.

I just increased the minutes on my cellphone plan and I'm using the cellphone exclusively now. That's never failed me!
The same thing can happen with a cell phone. I am a Field Engineer and if you get too many people in one area trying to use their phone, it will clog the network up. Often we will set up a temporary mobile site if we know there is an event that will attract lots of people into a small area.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've had no issues whatsoever with my VoIP, which is provided by my internet provider (though I think they contract it out to a third-party vendor). Maybe it helps that I'm on DSL and not a shared cable loop.
Actually DSL is a shared loop just like cable. At the cabinet (RT) or the C.O. there is equipment called a DSLAM which operates at 3 to 12 million bits (usually 6) which provides the DSL connection. Everybody in the neighbour hood that feeds out of that DSLAM shares that connection and the more people on it, the more the performance degrades just like on cable. While, unlike cable, you do have a dedicated path to the DSLAM, once there you share the bandwidth along with everybody else.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Eventually cell phones will be cheap and will become the dominate form of telephony in the USA as it is in many nations now. There will be a day in the not too distant future where you will pay maybe $30 a month for unlimited calling, text and photo messaging. The network is quickly coming to the point where it can handle the traffic. The only thing that will hold it back is if we keep allowing cell phone providers to buy each other out and diminish competition. Hopefully after November we will have a government that actually wants to enforce the laws against monopolies and duopolies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics