U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 11:35 PM

4,229 posts, read 15,571,052 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at MP3 players and seen a Samsung K3 2 gig ultra slim MP3 player on Walmart for $69.88. First of all is Samsung any good for MP3's? I've never owned an Mp3 player so I don't know where to start. I have Windows Vista so I need something compatable with that. I'm trying to find a decent MP3 player under $100.00 Any recommendations?

IS the Samsung any good?

Thanks, Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 07:10 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,784,979 times
My brother has been using a samsung DAP for about 2 years now... I haven't heard any complaints.

Unlike itunes, you drag and drop your audio onto and off the player like a usb thumb drive. Very easy to do.

Go for it

Old 05-31-2008, 09:50 AM

4,229 posts, read 15,571,052 times
Thanks!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:46 PM

16,726 posts, read 29,336,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
My brother has been using a samsung DAP for about 2 years now... I haven't heard any complaints.

Unlike itunes, you drag and drop your audio onto and off the player like a usb thumb drive. Very easy to do.

Go for it
You can do the same with the iPod (manually, or automatic). But you are correct about not allowing you to "legally" drag the songs from the iPod to another iPod, computer, etc. You can drag anything you want to the iPod.

One would have to use another application do drag movies, music, etc. from the iPod to the computer, however. The reasons why Apple set it that way is to avoid piracy, but kids have learned to go around those obstacles (at least that's what I hear kids talk about).

Old 06-03-2008, 12:52 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,745,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I've been looking at MP3 players and seen a Samsung K3 2 gig ultra slim MP3 player on Walmart for $69.88. First of all is Samsung any good for MP3's? I've never owned an Mp3 player so I don't know where to start.
There are so many choices it's intimidating, and some players are much easier to use (or much easier to load with music from a PC) then others are, since some require special software while others just act as USB hard drives.

Quote:
I have Windows Vista so I need something compatable with that. I'm trying to find a decent MP3 player under $100.00 Any recommendations?
I have three recommendations, but they're all really different.

I love my little Mobiblu 1GB cube -- the controls are smart, it's lightweight, and they also make 2GB versions as well as a later model, but it's a little small (1" on a side) and that does take some getting used to. The one I have is mostly dedicated to car use now with a cassette adapter. If you get one, make sure its says "Mobiblu" -- many of the cube clones out there play music just fine, but they're missing a lot of features including the FM radio.

I also really like the 2GB Sandisk Sansa e250 that I bought from the web six months or so ago. Not only does it have 2GB internally, but you can use 1GB and 2GB MicroSD cards in it for additional space, and if you're feeling geeky you can load third-party software called Rockbox on it for some additional capabilities. That latter bit is true of several MP3 players, BTW, and it really isn't too hard to do if you're willing to read the instructions. The blue-lighted spin wheel takes some getting used to, though.

I finally wanted a larger player, though (4GB at once was simply not enough), so I picked up a refurb 40GB Toshiba Gigabeat F40 on eBay for $80+shipping. Best MP3 purchase I've ever made. The default software was ... decidedly ungood, but installing Rockbox (via a fancy Windows installer no less) makes it usable, and also plays videos (which is nice because I've been able to use MediaCoder to convert my ReplayTV shows to a resolution the Gigabat will play flawlessly. Presto -- pocket TV! Kinda...

Old 06-03-2008, 12:59 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,745,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You can do the same with the iPod (manually, or automatic). But you are correct about not allowing you to "legally" drag the songs from the iPod to another iPod, computer, etc. You can drag anything you want to the iPod.

One would have to use another application do drag movies, music, etc. from the iPod to the computer, however. The reasons why Apple set it that way is to avoid piracy, but kids have learned to go around those obstacles (at least that's what I hear kids talk about).
FWIW, you can load Rockbox on many iPod models and replace the default firmware. Some folks like Rockbox's interface better, and it also gets rid of that pesky DRM stuff.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:06 PM

389 posts, read 1,855,309 times
my mp3 player is my gps... i wanna try to make my gps my all in one.. oh wait.. i ACTUALLY made it an all in one gadget. the best capability i added on my gps is wifi connection..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics