U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:18 PM

40,083 posts, read 49,005,949 times

Advertisements

You won't have to buy a new set if you don't want to. The new convertors they're selling will convert the older sets over to digital. And the government will pay $40.00 of the cost. And they only cost around $50.00, plus or minus a few dollars.
And with these convertors you'll see a huge improvement of picture quality on your analog sets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 03:40 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,526,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
More and more channels are switching over to HD... by 2009 it will all be HD... You won't even have the option to buy the old sets anymore... gonna have to join the group eventually.
it wont all be HD, it will all be DIGITAL. There is a HUGE difference.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,988,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
it wont all be HD, it will all be DIGITAL. There is a HUGE difference.

Like talking to a wall isn't it?

Old 07-18-2008, 03:07 PM

9,054 posts, read 16,677,682 times
yes - so many people can't break that

digital does not equal HD

Old 07-18-2008, 03:07 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,526,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Like talking to a wall isn't it?
very much so, I dont know where the HD idea came into the whole 2009 change, all any of the commercials are saying is DIGITAL.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:20 PM

12,717 posts, read 18,856,922 times
Not all digital broadcast is HD, but all HD broadcast is digital. I think everyone disagrees with the OP but he has a point that no broadcast is in 1080P yet. But I see plenty of 1080i broadcasts as well as 780.

Someone pointed out something interesting - the "over the air" HD broadcast are better than the cable version broadcasts. Yeah not surpising. Can you say bandwidth? That's the reason that 1080p won't work yet. Cable can't handle the bandwidth. They are compressing HD signals as it is, and thus the worse quality over the cable. Comcast is cramming 3.1 into it's signal to bring as much HD as can be into your home, at the sacrifice of quality, unfortunetly.

Still, the HDTV is one of the best home investments I have made, I get about 40 HD channels, I have an upconvert DVD and Blueray player (courtesy of my PS3)..and I can never go back to SD again.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:08 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,978,081 times
I have the digital to analog adaptor connected to my TV via the composite audio/video cables. My main source of TV is DirecTV. NFL football games are more clear through the adaptor's yellow video cable than through the satellite's S-video cable. There's a distortion of the picture that isn't there with the digital/analog adaptor. If cable/satellite TV is not your thing then buy an HDTV and an outside antenna. Mount it in the attic to protect it from wind and lightening. You'll get less reception but longer life out of the antenna. True, not everything (antenna, cable, or satellite) is in HD but everything is digital which is roughly the quality of a DVD using the correct AV cables. Once you get into primetime and sports broadcast then you will have HD and digital surround sound. You could cancel your satellite or cable TV and make up the cost of your HDTV by watching antenna broadcast.

Myself, I bought a quality Toshiba TV in 2002 and will not get rid of it until it's picture degrades or it totally breaks, whichever comes first. I did that knowing that by the time it does break, the price of HDTV will drop. Last I checked, I can get a 32 inch for about $500.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:28 PM

21,279 posts, read 39,841,904 times
Just got a 50-inch Samsung Series 7 Plasma HDTV and so far it is superb.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:00 PM

4,396 posts, read 11,581,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I have the digital to analog adaptor connected to my TV via the composite audio/video cables. My main source of TV is DirecTV. NFL football games are more clear through the adaptor's yellow video cable than through the satellite's S-video cable. There's a distortion of the picture that isn't there with the digital/analog adaptor. If cable/satellite TV is not your thing then buy an HDTV and an outside antenna. Mount it in the attic to protect it from wind and lightening. You'll get less reception but longer life out of the antenna. True, not everything (antenna, cable, or satellite) is in HD but everything is digital which is roughly the quality of a DVD using the correct AV cables. Once you get into primetime and sports broadcast then you will have HD and digital surround sound. You could cancel your satellite or cable TV and make up the cost of your HDTV by watching antenna broadcast.

Myself, I bought a quality Toshiba TV in 2002 and will not get rid of it until it's picture degrades or it totally breaks, whichever comes first. I did that knowing that by the time it does break, the price of HDTV will drop. Last I checked, I can get a 32 inch for about $500.

That was plan also. I have a Toshiba rear projector with standard Directv reciever. I have been happy with this setup and I did not plan on buying another set until my current one crap out. Well last week my folks brought me a 50 Samsung plasma for Christmas (love ya mom & dad). Now I am having to do some research on whats best to set it up. Looks like I have to HD access and a HD reciever from Directv at a addional cost of $15 a month. I then have to decide on a Blue ray player or a PS3. I am sure I will enjoy it once I get everything hook up.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:30 PM

588 posts, read 2,586,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Not all digital broadcast is HD, but all HD broadcast is digital. I think everyone disagrees with the OP but he has a point that no broadcast is in 1080P yet. But I see plenty of 1080i broadcasts as well as 780.

Someone pointed out something interesting - the "over the air" HD broadcast are better than the cable version broadcasts. Yeah not surpising. Can you say bandwidth? That's the reason that 1080p won't work yet. Cable can't handle the bandwidth.
1080p from a broadcast perspective (ATSC) does NOT use higher bandwidth than 1080i. 1080i is sent at 60 interlaced fields per second to make 30 frames per second, while 1080p uses one field per frame, but is still limited to 30 frames per second. Everything still has to fix inside the 6MHz allocated channel width. Cite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics