U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:40 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,588,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yup. I'm still amazed at the number of people that hook up there hidef sets with composite or coaxial cable and think they are getting a hidef signal.
Coaxial cable does carry a HD digital signal. That's the normal cable from an antenna (or cable TV) to the tuner. Do you mean S-video?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,642,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yup. I'm still amazed at the number of people that hook up there hidef sets with composite or coaxial cable and think they are getting a hidef signal.
Well, if they're going through a cable provider/satellite who is providing HDTV (currently at 720p for my provider), then they will indeed have high-definition channels through a coax attached to a tuner. But if they go from their High Definition cable/satellite box to their TV with a composite (or coax) cables, they won't have HD. They can probably watch the HD channels - but definitely not in High Definition. Switching to Component or HDMI would allow it. ((The cheap $5 HDMI work just as well as the $40 Monster ones - as it is a digital signal))

Short version, coax does allow for HD programming to exist. However, connecting to the TV with composite or coax cables will not result in HD. Same with S-Video.

Now, if somebody is using rabbit ears and a converter - they will get DTV. For those who don't know the difference:

DTV: Digital Television
HDTV: High Definition Television

There's a big difference. Currently, the government is forcing a switch from analog to digital, aka DTV. This is not high definition. It's just a change in the signal type to become much more efficient. Until the full switch is made, we won't know much the quality of the end result will be.

As for the notion that an HDTV is a rip-off? Watch a blu-ray movie through HDMI on a PS3 with an HDTV (1080p).. then watch the same movie through composite cables on a tube television. There's a huge difference in quality. The same goes true for gaming with the 360 or PS3. Believe me that High Definition makes a big difference with gaming.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 03-18-2009 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: forgot about coax

Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 AM

12,715 posts, read 18,841,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Coaxial cable does carry a HD digital signal. That's the normal cable from an antenna (or cable TV) to the tuner. Do you mean S-video?
Oops I stand corrected. Many cable boxes don't give out a HD signal via coax, but you are indeed correct. It's the signal, not the cable.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 PM

62 posts, read 157,377 times
I have some HD channels with Comcast for free even though I don't have the main cable box on my HDTV , the picture is superb and so are my dvd movies.

Last edited by dimpelss; 03-23-2009 at 03:55 PM..

Old 12-30-2012, 03:50 AM

3 posts, read 2,176 times
I find HD to be a big joke and I just LOVE how many programs are CUT off with BLACK BARS at the top and the bottom of the screen. What a joke!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,663,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by experienced 6767 View Post
I find HD to be a big joke and I just LOVE how many programs are CUT off with BLACK BARS at the top and the bottom of the screen. What a joke!
You're watching non-HD channels or older programs, and/or don't have your settings correct. The rest of the world has dealt with this already. Apparently you're not thatexperienced.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:33 AM

14,383 posts, read 21,053,836 times
Default I presume

Quote:
I presume that you wrote this as sarcasm.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:26 PM

3,218 posts, read 3,180,481 times
Default Oh look!

This thread is really old. Apparently things have improved since 2008.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:07 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,904,706 times
Quote:
Your post is a big joke. Almost everything I watch is HD in widescreen format. Only older material in 4:3 format has black bars.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:26 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,563,969 times
HD is awesome better picture quality and sound quality. blu ray discs are made better than standard dvd discs. and my regular dvds look as good as blu ray in my upconverting player. I love the difference in how they make the movies on blu ray with how they make you feel like your in the movie. now if they would just put out a blu ray burner there out just not in the states except for the pc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics