U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:36 AM

18,580 posts, read 55,510,434 times

Advertisements

"The holodeck is still science fiction, but last year researchers took the first, confident steps towards its realisation with the Coherent project. This EU-funded research project, developed a commercial, true 3-D display that could one day be called Holodeck version 1.0. It is called HoloVizio."

Holodeck 1.0? Star Trek-style 3-D Displays Make Their Debut

Kewl! Vacations without the gas costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 AM

1,393 posts, read 7,119,300 times
I'd settle for my own personal 7 of 9

Old 06-08-2008, 09:25 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,519,895 times
Imagery is the easy part. A Star Trek style holodeck would need to incorporate matter transfer technology. Theoretically, scientists actually know how to do that already but what we lack is computers capable of processing that much information and of course the energy to pull it off. If we had the energy, the processors would be a snap to make an if we had the computer technology, the energy problem would be a non-issue. A very sticky Catch-22

In reality, Star Trek is pretty accurate about what can and can't be done. The only reason we can't do nearly all of it today is that we simply lack an energy source with the capability. Unless we can build our own "matter/anti-matter reactor" or actually make nuclear fusion work, that stuff will remain fiction.

The only folks with the money to finance the research to harness cheap or free energy in massive quantities is the very-much-for-profit oil companies so I'm not holding my breath.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Imagery is the easy part. A Star Trek style holodeck would need to incorporate matter transfer technology. Theoretically, scientists actually know how to do that already but what we lack is computers capable of processing that much information and of course the energy to pull it off. ID

Really ?? When did this happen...I thought there was the little problem of the
Heisenberg uncertainty principle that basically made dreams or matter replication a "problem"..

As far as the computer power...that's easy and real soon..acccording to the predictions of Ray Kurzweil et al....

But I'm most interested which scientists "know" this...etc...you got refs ??

Old 06-08-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Really ?? When did this happen...I thought there was the little problem of the
Heisenberg uncertainty principle that basically made dreams or matter replication a "problem"..

As far as the computer power...that's easy and real soon..acccording to the predictions of Ray Kurzweil et al....

But I'm most interested which scientists "know" this...etc...you got refs ??

I mentioned transfer which would refer to manipulation. I don't recall using the term replication and after re-examining my post, it seems I recalled correctly. So exactly what is the point you are arguing?

Old 06-08-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I mentioned transfer which would refer to manipulation. I don't recall using the term replication and after re-examining my post, it seems I recalled correctly. So exactly what is the point you are arguing?

You said ,and I qquote..." A Star Trek style holodeck would need to incorporate matter transfer technology. Theoretically, scientists actually know how to do that already "

We are speaking of "transfering" matter from one location to another remote location as is shown in the typical Star Trek "transporter". If you don't like the word replication, fine ignore it. I'm not playing semantics, but the fact of the matter is ,if Capt. Janeway etc is going to interreact with her physical world while in this "holodeck" the matter is going to have to be brought into this room and reassmbled into the forms she is expecting...replicated..ie make a copy of 7 of 9 even though 7 of 9 isn't actually in the room with her.
. I'm asking you for examples etc where it has been demonstrated, at least in part, where matter can be disassembled and at some remote location reassembled back into it's original form and function...just like the Star Trek transporter , or holo deck if you will,that we're discussing here. It dosen't even have to be alive. Show me a "gadget" that can send a working wrist watch to some where else in the world without physicaly moving it...it's a simple request...you said scientist already know how to do this...I just want to read about it...links??

Note...we are NOT talking about taking a few atoms (H and O2 for example) and forming a water molecule, H20, etc.

I'll keep this simple since we both know the "device" that can transport a watch as above dosen't exist....All I'm asking you to do is provide referencs and or links that ,at least in your mind, support the statement of yours above in bold...

Last edited by JBrown; 06-08-2008 at 02:29 PM..

Old 06-08-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
You said ,and I qquote..." A Star Trek style holodeck would need to incorporate matter transfer technology. Theoretically, scientists actually know how to do that already "

We are speaking of "transfering" matter from one location to another remote location as is shown in the typical Star Trek "transporter". If you don't like the word replication, fine ignore it. I'm not playing semantics, but the fact of the matter is ,if Capt. Janeway etc is going to interreact with her physical world while in this "holodeck" the matter is going to have to be brought into this room and reassmbled into the forms she is expecting...replicated..ie make a copy of 7 of 9 even though 7 of 9 isn't actually in the room with her.
. I'm asking you for examples etc where it has been demonstrated, at least in part, where matter can be disassembled and at some remote location reassembled back into it's original form and function...just like the Star Trek transporter , or holo deck if you will,that we're discussing here. It dosen't even have to be alive. Show me a "gadget" that can send a working wrist watch to some where else in the world without physicaly moving it...it's a simple request...you said scientist already know how to do this...I just want to read about it...links??

Note...we are NOT talking about taking a few atoms (H and O2 for example) and forming a water molecule, H20, etc.

I'll keep this simple since we both know the "device" that can transport a watch as above dosen't exist....All I'm asking you to do is provide referencs and or links that ,at least in your mind, support the statement of yours above in bold...

Great, yet another internet psychic Who seems to think I mean something entirely different from what I say.
"We" apparently aren't talking about the same thing. I never said anything about disassembling matter and shooting it through a beam. I spoke of matter manipulation and imagery. Nothing more. A steel box (which oddly enough is matter) with an overlain holographic image would appear and feel like a slab of rock or whatever image is used depending upon it's texture of course. High speed (read: energy hog) robotics to move objects to a desired shape and solidity are indeed possible today but prohibitively expensive. To interact with a person, and image would need to be "painted" so-to-speak using holographic projections, onto a robotic human shape. Holographic projections would also be useful for hiding less desirable images such as hydraulic and power cables hanging out the back of the character. A chair or a bench would be much easier as it would be static. Are you following now or are you still lost in Jeri Ryan's attributes? We're not talking about breaking any physical laws but more of a high tech, interactive, and adaptable version of a Disney ride. Or maybe you are. I don't know and quite frankly don't really want to know what's going on in your head.

If you need references and links to prove that a transfer pump can move fuel from a tank to your car tank or that matter can't be moved from one place to another without disassembling it at the molecular level then you need to get out more.

Actually I think you knew exactly what I meant, unless of course English isn't your primary language, but are yet another "individual" who likes to start arguments on the internet. Well, though I am impressed with your in depth knowledge of a TV show that was canceled something like 10 years ago, I don't want to play today so you'll have to go pick a fight with someone else.

Bye.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Great, yet another internet psychic Who seems to think I mean something entirely different from what I say.
"We" apparently aren't talking about the same thing. I never said anything about disassembling matter and shooting it through a beam. I spoke of matter manipulation and imagery. Nothing more. A steel box (which oddly enough is matter) with an overlain holographic image would appear and feel like a slab of rock or whatever image is used depending upon it's texture of course. High speed (read: energy hog) robotics to move objects to a desired shape and solidity are indeed possible today but prohibitively expensive. To interact with a person, and image would need to be "painted" so-to-speak using holographic projections, onto a robotic human shape. Holographic projections would also be useful for hiding less desirable images such as hydraulic and power cables hanging out the back of the character. A chair or a bench would be much easier as it would be static. Are you following now or are you still lost in Jeri Ryan's attributes? We're not talking about breaking any physical laws but more of a high tech, interactive, and adaptable version of a Disney ride. Or maybe you are. I don't know and quite frankly don't really want to know what's going on in your head.

If you need references and links to prove that a transfer pump can move fuel from a tank to your car tank or that matter can't be moved from one place to another without disassembling it at the molecular level then you need to get out more.

Actually I think you knew exactly what I meant, unless of course English isn't your primary language, but are yet another "individual" who likes to start arguments on the internet. Well, though I am impressed with your in depth knowledge of a TV show that was canceled something like 10 years ago, I don't want to play today so you'll have to go pick a fight with someone else.

Bye.
So...when you said
" A Star Trek style holodeck would need to incorporate matter transfer technology. Theoretically, scientists actually know how to do that already "
SOOOOO...you were thinking in terms of transfering gas from the underground tanks to the fuel tank in a car huh ???

Is that really the best explaination you can come up with ??

That's pitiful dude. My elementary school son has a better grasp of the fundamentals of science than you apparently do. Do you even know what a holologram is,I mean in detail, for real ??..I don't think so because if you did you'd know how ridiculous your statements are.

Oh and BTW...the fact that you actually knew the actress's name (jeri ryan apparently) says a WHOLE lot about you and your sophomoric attempts at sarcasm and humor.

Pretnd you're a grownup and admit you need to retract your previous bogus science claims and just move on..

Beam me up Scotty...There's no intelligent life on here..

Old 06-09-2008, 07:46 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,570,931 times
pfft its easy, all we need are those Heisenberg compensators to bypass the problems caused by the uncertainty principle but as William Shatner said: How do they work? Nobody knows!?!?!!?!11

Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Yac

5,973 posts, read 6,636,407 times
Guys, please. Are you seriously going to argue over the internet about something this small ? I thought the regulars here in this forum were above that ... stop trying to prove me wrong
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics