U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 01:24 PM

5,035 posts, read 14,674,596 times

Advertisements

I purchased a 32" Panasonic HDTV in February and after doing so, I called Comcast to add the HD package (what little there is of it). Can anyone explain to me why some of the HD channels have the black bars on the side of the picture and others don't? I know about the aspect button on my TV remote (full, justify, zoom, 4:3, etc.). I keep mine on "full." I don't understand why the some HD programs fill the entire screen and others do not. I shouldn't have to constantly use my tv remote to adjust that. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 12:28 PM

2,736 posts, read 8,783,963 times
While some are distributed in a higher resolution, not all channels and not all shows are fully "HD" in terms of format; 4x3 vs 16x9. So you may be receiving a higher quality signal in terms of resolution. Lets use 720p as an example

Regular old standard definition TV is 480i, or 480 lines of resolution, in a 4x3 (4 units wide by 3 units high) format, interlaced.

720p by default assumes you're getting 1280 pixels by 720 pixels, which is a 16x9 format. Since some shows are still recorded in a 4x3 format, or otherwise only available that way, the bars are being added to the side so you still have 720 pixels in height (the higher resolution than 480), but you aren't using all 1280 pixels of the width - only 960.

Make sense?

Old 06-12-2008, 04:48 PM

5,035 posts, read 14,674,596 times
So the resolution is in HD and not necessarily the format. Thanks for your help. Now if I could just get all HD channels to record in HD format (16:9), I'd be set.

Thanks for understanding my question and replying in a manner that I could understand. So much of the changes in televisions, television signals, and components has confused me and I'm trying to get an understanding of it all.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:25 AM

2,736 posts, read 8,783,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
So the resolution is in HD and not necessarily the format. Thanks for your help. Now if I could just get all HD channels to record in HD format (16:9), I'd be set.

Thanks for understanding my question and replying in a manner that I could understand. So much of the changes in televisions, television signals, and components has confused me and I'm trying to get an understanding of it all.
You're welcome, and you're not alone I'm an audiovisual systems designer, and it takes a good amount of time to get through this with clients. Imho, this whole process was done poorly - its 90% marketing, unfortunately.

After the digital transition in 2009, more HD-format digital broadcast quality cameras will be getting sold, hopefully lowering the price for the low-budget independants; this is when you will see more and more in a 16x9 format as well as higher resolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics