U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 PM
 
Location: High Bridge
2,736 posts, read 8,782,411 times
Reputation: 665

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Plasma's not going anywhere as long as LCDs in the larger screen sizes are a ripoff.
Most manufacturers are stopping production of plasmas; the cost is significantly more than LCD, and as a result, the profit margin is smaller. So while there will be a manufacturer or two offering plasmas for a while, the cost on LCD's is coming down regularly - the price point on plasmas will not be changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2008, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC area
24 posts, read 19,115 times
Reputation: 26
Go with a Panamax or Monster surge protector with power conditioner. They not only protect from surges, they clean up the power to your TV and other connected components AND both mfrs included gear protection warranties (if your connected gear is damaged by a surge, the mfr will reimburse you for the replacement of the damaged gear).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 09:58 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 18,980,114 times
Reputation: 10178
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNMHiFiGuy View Post
Go with a Panamax or Monster surge protector with power conditioner. They not only protect from surges, they clean up the power to your TV and other connected components AND both mfrs included gear protection warranties (if your connected gear is damaged by a surge, the mfr will reimburse you for the replacement of the damaged gear).

You sell this stuff right? So it's in your interest that people buy unneeded gizmos like "power conditioners"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 10:22 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC area
24 posts, read 19,115 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You sell this stuff right? So it's in your interest that people buy unneeded gizmos like "power conditioners"?
Yes, I sell this stuff, however, "need" is a matter of perception. Some people do need them, some don't, some will, some won't. We tell every one of our customers they are free to return any item they purchase from us within 30 days for a full refund if they don't see a benefit from that item. You can't get any more fair than that! I've seen the benefits these gizmos, as you put it, can provide. You see, now I sell this stuff. I used to install this stuff and have witnessed, first hand, the benefits of using surge protectors with power conditioners/voltage regulators. The best part about this is the fact that nobody is forced to buy anything they don't want to buy. They come to us, not the other way around. We simply make recommendations to consumers when they ask. They can follow those recommendations, or not follow them. It's their choice.

Thanks for your inquiry. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2008, 09:29 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
10,238 posts, read 18,980,114 times
Reputation: 10178
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNMHiFiGuy View Post
The best part about this is the fact that nobody is forced to buy anything they don't want to buy. They come to us, not the other way around. We simply make recommendations to consumers when they ask. They can follow those recommendations, or not follow them. It's their choice.
I submit that recommending a useless product is hinky and just because the mark has the out of not buying is no excuse for such behavior. One is reminded of the Lundergard character in "Fargo" out to get his customers to buy "true coat" on new cars.

The fact is that power conditioners, like speaker wires, are unidentifiable in double blind tests, that's because electronics have power supply circuits. The modern hi-fi market thrives on such dubious products as overpriced speaker wires and patchcords, power conditioners and "intelligent"chips. Meanwhile most amplifiers and speakers don't sound as good as those made in the 1950s.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 08-02-2008 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2016, 11:43 AM
 
1 posts, read 528 times
Reputation: 10
Thumbs up Benefits of UPS over surge protector with Big Screen TVs

I am a computer service engineer for over 25 years and I use APC battery backups on all of my important electronic equipment. Many of the newer big screen TV's are nothing more than simple computers (like gaming consoles and cable boxes) and should be treated the same way. A good surge protector with a high joule rating will protect against a big spike, like during a thunderstorm, but not from power dips which can happen frequently without your knowledge. These power dips cause increased wear and tear on all electronic devices and over time lead to common failures ie power supplies, control boards, etc. A good battery backup protects against both. The upside to having a UPS is that depending on its Volt Amp and Wattage rating it can provide a limited amount of time before shutting down. I use an APC 1500 ups for my 60" HD LCD tv and cable box and during a really bad storm the news was tracking a large tornado in our area and the power went out. Because of the ups the tv and cable box stayed on for another 30 minutes giving us the information to know what to do. i am not saying that this is best practice but it worked for me and my family. Another added bonus is that APC, Trip Lite and Cyber Power all offer insurance on devices listed as being connected at time of registration of the UPS. I believe the limit is up to $10,000 for any device damaged from device failure; although I have never had to use it.
Hope this helps anyone wondering and remember that you need to way the benefits with the cost. A 1500 VA UPS can run as much as $300 to $500. but a 350 VA can run you only $35 the same as a good surge protector. The smaller VA rating means less run time during a power outage (5-10 min depending on how many devices are attached) but will still provide the same protection as the larger units.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2016, 10:57 PM
 
Location: Not far from Fairbanks, AK
16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
Reputation: 12539
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
You're kidding...right?

UPS provides power when electricity goes out. It also saves on the TV's sucking of energy. The WORST thing you can do to a plasma screen is experience a sudden outage.

UPS all the way.
UPS provide power for a few minutes after the electricity goes out, which in turn gives you a few short minutes to turn off the computer. It also provides protection against some of the power surges. The TV, even when turned off, keeps on using some power for the stand-by mode.

For a stereo system that includes a TV, regardless of being a plasma one or not, the best is a surge protector such as Panamax and other brands that also include some lightning surge protection for the antenna cable as well as the AC power.

Now gaming machines and some cable boxes included internal hard drives. In this case I would use a UPS. By the way, the average APC UPS is cheaper than most Panamax surge protectors used for audio receivers and surround/TV systems at home.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-30-2016 at 11:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2016, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Reputation: 8055
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
You're kidding...right?

UPS provides power when electricity goes out. It also saves on the TV's sucking of energy. The WORST thing you can do to a plasma screen is experience a sudden outage.

UPS all the way.
No. The worst thing you can do to a Plasma is a sudden outage? Man...how has my plasma lasted so long when we get pretty frequent short power failures?
Sudden outages are no worse for Plasma then LCD, OLED or anything else.

A UPS would be a complete waste of money. This coming from someone who's house was struck by lightning.
In addition to bricks from the chimney raining down onto the hood of my car, my router had a blown port and the network card in my PC was fried. That's all the damage that was done.
Plasma still works 5 years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2016, 07:48 AM
 
138 posts, read 120,215 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I was thinking of just getting an uninterruptable power supply box (as is used for PCs) to have back up power and protect against power surges.
Why would anyone know what to do because another just as uninformed majority does same? Exactly what anomaly must be protected from? Power outage does not damage any electronics. International design standards required that even long before PCs existed. But fear (not facts) creates the myth of destructive power outages.

UPS does claim surge protection. Destructive surges are hundreds of thousands of joules. How many joules does that UPS claim to absorb? Hundreds? That is how scams get promoted. A UPS with near zero surge protection is promoted as 100% protection ... by avoiding numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I submit that recommending a useless product is hinky and just because the mark has the out of not buying is no excuse for such behavior.
Where did he post even one fact that says a UPS or surge protector does anything useful? Everyone here should have seen through that propaganda. How many did not? How many did not ask for or post any numbers that justify what was promoted here by salesmenship, hearsay, and wild speculation?

A hundreds joules surge is already made irrelevant by what is inside electronics. Electronics will convert a hundreds joules surge into rock stable, low DC voltages to safely power its semiconductors. A surge that might even destroy protector circuits in a UPS is also converted by electronics as safe power. Did anyone bother to discuss robust protection that already exists inside all appliances?

Of course not. It is called sales - or better called a scam. It works on the majority who do not demand facts with numbers. A majority can be told to fear. Then that 'strawman' is used to enrich a sales promoter.

Tie a knot in a power cord. That is also a line conditioner. We did not include numbers. So the scam is legal. Sell that knot as a $100 line conditioner. No numbers is the first indication of a scam. Most line conditioners are sold with massive profits to accomplish little to nothing. They are not marketing to engineers. They are marketing to people who all but ask to be scammed - who never demand spec numbers.

OP asked for protection from power outages and surge. Power outage damages no electronics. Otherwise an 'at risk' internal part is defined - with numbers from a datasheet. Nobody did or will do that. In over 40 years of design, I have yet to see electronics damaged by a power outage - even once.

Surges that do damage must be earthed BEFORE entering a building. Protection from this anomaly costs about $1 per protected appliance. How much did one spend for near zero surge protection in a UPS? $100? How many made a decision by asking for spec numbers? None?

UPS has one purpose. Temporary and 'dirty' power so that unsaved data can be saved. 'Dirty'? 'Dirty' power is created by a UPS in battery backup mode. This 120V pure sine wave UPS outputs 200 volt square waves with a spike of up to 270 volts. Ideal power for electronics because appliances already contain robust protection typically rates at least 600 volts. Did they also forget to discuss how robust protection already must be in TV, amplifiers, and computer? Of course. Honesty would only harm sales.

Not one honest fact says that UPS is necessary or protects hardware. Not one number defines any internal part at risk. UPS is recommended based upon a child's emotions. Add facts and numbers to learn that reality is 180 degrees different. And to learn what actually does protect from surges - for about $1 per protected appliance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2016, 09:19 PM
 
Location: Southeast Michigan
2,839 posts, read 1,739,680 times
Reputation: 4526
We have 3 flatscreen TVs. Over the years, my desktop died at least twice due to a power surge, the last time despite having a surge protector (which may have been faulty). I never had this happen to a TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top