U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:44 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,570,905 times

Advertisements

For HDTV and other flatscreen TV owners: Surge Protector or UPS? What do you use?

I was thinking of just getting an uninterruptable power supply box (as is used for PCs) to have back up power and protect against power surges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 02:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,905 posts, read 33,646,478 times
UPSes protect the hard drive and the file system on a computer, providing a few minutes of power when AC power is not available. This serves to prevent glitches during brief power hits and to provide time for a normal shutdown if there is an extended outage. There isn't a good reason I can think of to put one on a TV, since it doesn't have a hard drive or an operating system. Save your money and go with a surge protector.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:44 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,617,860 times
I agree

Old 06-30-2008, 05:43 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,570,905 times
I opted for 2400+ joule Surge protector for the den (plasma,DVD,karaoke,VCR,cable box) and a 1400+ for the bedroom plasma/dvd/vcr. I guess I should upgrade to DVR someday.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 AM

18,564 posts, read 55,493,012 times
The more important question is if the device also has at least basic protection on the incoming antenna lines. When we lived in FL (lightning capitol of the world) My incoming co-ax was looped (inductive resistance to hf voltage), and I had a lightning arrestor w/ground on the roof antenna, and co-ax surge protection on the dish and antenna, tied in at the (Tripplite Isotel) surge protector, which also protected the phone connections to the tivo and DTV receiver. If you don't completely isolate, stuff will come in the back door.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:17 AM

2,639 posts, read 5,282,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
UPSes protect the hard drive and the file system on a computer, providing a few minutes of power when AC power is not available. This serves to prevent glitches during brief power hits and to provide time for a normal shutdown if there is an extended outage. There isn't a good reason I can think of to put one on a TV, since it doesn't have a hard drive or an operating system. Save your money and go with a surge protector.
You're kidding...right?

UPS provides power when electricity goes out. It also saves on the TV's sucking of energy. The WORST thing you can do to a plasma screen is experience a sudden outage.

UPS all the way.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:16 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,016,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
You're kidding...right?

UPS provides power when electricity goes out. It also saves on the TV's sucking of energy. The WORST thing you can do to a plasma screen is experience a sudden outage.

UPS all the way.
Really? Never heard of that before. And a suppressor would work just fine to avoid surges.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,905 posts, read 33,646,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
You're kidding...right?

Admittedly, I don't have much experience with plasma TVs... just LCD, so I'll defer to folks who are better informed than I am on their issues. I do know that plasma's on its way out in TVs, due to weight and durability issues.

LCD on the other hand is quite resilient and sturdy, so it shouldn't be bothered by blips in its power source.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:57 PM

2,639 posts, read 5,282,277 times
Plasma's not going anywhere as long as LCDs in the larger screen sizes are a ripoff.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:50 AM

16,726 posts, read 29,330,321 times
All you need is a surge protector for your TV. An UPS is better for a computer for the following reasons: a computer does not draw a large amount of power like a TV does (unless you have a huge screen connected to it). The UPS can be set so when the power goes out, it closes open files, and then turns the computer off, or you can do this manually. The UPS just gives you a few minutes of power so you can save files, quit programs, and turn the computer off. An UPS also includes surge suppression, and also provides a clean electrical signal when the power goes out.

All the surge suppressor does is to block power surges that are greater than a preset value. For TV's, home stereo systems, etc., you can have a whole-house surge suppressor installed at the electrical box, or you can have individual surge suppressors where needed. Some of the expensive ones are sold with a warranty against lighting, and the warranty covers for any damage to your equipment. If the TV is expensive, and you also have a stereo system next to it, buy a good quality one an connect both systems, including the antenna cables, to it. When the power goes out, the TV turns off, just like when you press the POWER button to turn the TV off.

For stereo systems I prefer Panamax, but there are other surge suppressors out there that do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics