U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 04:07 PM

1,356 posts, read 5,541,306 times

Advertisements

I have had Vonage for several years as a way to easily provide a phone line for employees. Last fall I called to cancel two of the four lines but I just found out that they didn't cancel them and have kept billing me. (Between all the employee cards there are over 100 charges per month so I didn't notice until recently.)

So today I called Vonage to close the accounts and they refused because I couldn't answer a second security question. These questions were to identify the name of the calling plan with the accounts (who pays attention to that?) or the name of the equipment we used for Vonage (it hasn't been used for two years and is packed up somewhere).

I tried to make it simpler and just asked them what they were billing for based on the invoice I received from them most recently. They would not even tell me what the last charge was for!

In the end it appears I am going to have to cancel the accounts through American Express. (This sounds like canceling an AOL account! )

So... I still need two VOIP lines for employees. Can anyone suggest a good alternative to Vonage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 04:15 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,016,257 times
Check local ISPs for VoIP service. Here in Montana we have a few options.

T-Mobile now has an @home option, which probably won't work for a business, but you can give them a call.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:29 PM

Thanks but I am looking for a more portable option. The thing I like about Vonage was that I could give it to different employees at different times and move it from location to location.

Maybe T-Mobile would work. Anyone have any opinion of their customer service?

Old 07-02-2008, 06:19 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,016,257 times
When I've called T-mobile for my cell phone, I've always enjoyed their customer service. Fairly knowledgable and helpful.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:55 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,619,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
I have had Vonage for several years as a way to easily provide a phone line for employees. Last fall I called to cancel two of the four lines but I just found out that they didn't cancel them and have kept billing me. (Between all the employee cards there are over 100 charges per month so I didn't notice until recently.)

So today I called Vonage to close the accounts and they refused because I couldn't answer a second security question. These questions were to identify the name of the calling plan with the accounts (who pays attention to that?) or the name of the equipment we used for Vonage (it hasn't been used for two years and is packed up somewhere).

I tried to make it simpler and just asked them what they were billing for based on the invoice I received from them most recently. They would not even tell me what the last charge was for!

In the end it appears I am going to have to cancel the accounts through American Express. (This sounds like canceling an AOL account! )

So... I still need two VOIP lines for employees. Can anyone suggest a good alternative to Vonage?
Why do you need VOIP as opposed to a plain regular phone? Many cable companies sell VOIP.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:56 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,619,265 times
Quote:
Thanks but I am looking for a more portable option. The thing I like about Vonage was that I could give it to different employees at different times and move it from location to location.

Maybe T-Mobile would work. Anyone have any opinion of their customer service?
Customer service is good, network is not the best but good in most places. Price is kind if high- up there with ATT and Verizon and they will try to handcuff you to a long term contract.

Old 07-06-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Why do you need VOIP as opposed to a plain regular phone? Many cable companies sell VOIP.
It's just easy to give an employee an VOIP adapter to plug into their internet at home and allow them to telecommute for a period of time. I can rotate the adapter as needed. It keeps the billing easier for them and for my own home office line, too.

I looked into T-Moblie but it is a cell-phone / wi-fi hybrid. It sounds cool but not what I am looking for. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone have any thoughts on Lingo?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:37 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
460 posts, read 2,014,563 times
I tried Lingo for a while before switching to Vonage the latter has more options and features - also if you want them to cancel the account here is a lil trick tried and tested..hahaha -- can you log into the Vonage online account portal if yes then you can change the bank info on there so when they try to charge you they will get a charge error and try to call you to find out what is going on or you can just put a request through your bank or credit card company and have them reject any charges from Vonage until you are able to resolve this amicably.

To be real honest with you I have not seen another VOIP provider with more options and features than Vonage - have a friend who switched to Verizon because he thought the deal they gave him sounded great two months later he ends up with a $325.50 phone bill and he cannot cancel service because he is under a contract....geez

============

Quote:
It's just easy to give an employee an VOIP adapter to plug into their internet at home and allow them to telecommute for a period of time. I can rotate the adapter as needed. It keeps the billing easier for them and for my own home office line, too.

I looked into T-Moblie but it is a cell-phone / wi-fi hybrid. It sounds cool but not what I am looking for. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone have any thoughts on Lingo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics