U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:23 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,051,976 times

Advertisements

One thing to consider...if the price difference is THAT dramatic, you can buy a bunch of lower end cables if they keep failing after a few months of use (not impossible but not extremely likely) for the price of one high end cable. What's the lifetime of typical cable technology anyway? Not really all that long. Here in about 3-4 years you'll be forced to buy some completely new type of cable. So if your lower end $3-5 cables last you even 4 months on average then you can still save money with them over the higher end $60+ products.

Very few people need a high degree of shielding or gold pins and all of the other performance related based features of the high end cables. The only thing they can really get out of them are the longer lifetime from better construction and inspection standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:48 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,982,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNMHiFiGuy View Post
Just like anything else in life, quality can make a noticeable difference. A cable that costs you $1.72 might have unreliable solder connections, poor insulators, incorrectly aligned pins, low grade metals and cheap components. You should consider brands like Audioquest, Pro Solutions, Monster. Yes, you'll pay a bit more, but you'll know you've got good quality cables connecting your good quality gear. Don't forget that power conditioner/surge protector (Panamax or Monster are recommended).

You sell this stuff right? If so you should make that clear.

Boutique cables, both audio and video, are a con. It doesn't take something fancy or expensive to pass the signal.

Hi-fi has been my hobby for 38 years and I've been into video since the first VHS machines, I even had RCA discs and early Magnavox laserdisc. And Beta hi-fi. And I never saw a properly working wire or cable effect sound or vision.

I remember when the flim-flam men started calling patch-cords "interconnects" and selling them for big bucks.

The power supply section in any decent electronic gear makes "power conditioners" totally unneeded. Another hype.

I get wires and patch cords from Parts Express. All the hi-fi do it yourself guys know Parts Express. www.partsexpress.com

Old 08-04-2008, 12:55 PM

12,717 posts, read 18,846,815 times
For that matter, component cables (not to be confused with composite) in many instances will give you an equal or better signal. PS3 supports this.

The technology for HDMI in my opinion has not been perfected.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:15 PM

212 posts, read 758,050 times
I bought dynex component video cables by bestbuy and they seem fine. I bought a hdmi cable by radioshack it seems fine. The best bet is not to buy the most expensive or cheapest but something in between.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 PM

4,608 posts, read 7,363,245 times
Popular Science

Gadgetry's Golden Rule

"Buy the cheap cables": Remember these words and thou shalt never be ripped off

You gotta ask yourself 'Are you trying to run a concert hall, or what?'

Old 08-26-2008, 12:01 AM

43,991 posts, read 53,835,803 times
The $18 Belkin cable is working great. Thanks, guys.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:32 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,829,502 times
Now that stan4 has purchased his cable, I would like to share my HDMI story.
I have a 65" Mitsubishi TV that has been connected to a Directv high definition receiver by the HDMI cable for the past two years without any problem. Last week I switched to HD cable. It worked fine for about 3 days. The screen then went green with a faint ghost picture, and no audio. All of the other output jacks worked fine. I reconnected the satellite receiver, and it also worked fine through the HDMI connection. The cable company sent a maintenance signal that didn't do any good.

The tech was here yesterday while I was sleeping. The wife didn't keep an eye on him, so she has no idea what he really did. He told her that there was corrosion on the old cable, and replaced it. Everything is working fine once again.

When I got up, I reinstalled the original cable. I didn't see any signs of corrosion. It's a Philips PXT 1000 superior quality cable. It has been working great ever since.

Any opinions on if this was the real problem, or was there something else?

Old 08-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,901 posts, read 33,639,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Any opinions on if this was the real problem, or was there something else?
I'd say you were snowed. I'll guess that your technician was covering for another technician's mistake or he fixed a problem that the cable company has told its technicians not to acknowledge publicly.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:17 AM

4,608 posts, read 7,363,245 times
I'd agree with Bowie. But, why would you switch from DirecTV to cable?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:31 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,829,502 times
My Directv was great. I had it for about 10 years. I could no longer live with the 24k dialup for the internet, and the phone lines are so crappy I could hardly use the house phone. We just had new fiberoptics installed this summer across our entire township. I jumped on the $79 total package.

I'm an aircraft mechanic. Everything we do is documented for the government. Sometimes we find simple things that don't get written up exactly as they seem
I believe the cable tech was also doing the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics