Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 09:14 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,467 times

Advertisements

HDMI Cable

....assorted colors lengths and gauges. I have been using a 35' for over a year. Works great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:52 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What's the general thought on brand name HDMI cables?
No name work just as well as branded. Paying for a "brand" does nothing to move data.

Recognize that HDMI uses digital signaling, and if a $1 cable gets it there the output will be exactly the same as if a $100 were used. It works or it doesn't, in the same manner that a Ethernet cable works or not.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:14 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,801 times
All HDMI cables (of the same version) have the same quality, unless you are unlucky and get a damaged one or something. Like some others said, use Monoprice.com for your HDMI cabling needs (and many other cables, too). I've bought cables from them a number of times and never had a problem. If you're paying $30, $40, or $100 for an HDMI cable you're paying way too much.

Stay away from ridiculously overpriced brands such as Monster.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:50 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
I just replenished my stock after I gave a few cables to my neighbor. I'm down another five dollars for three more cables.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I just replenished my stock after I gave a few cables to my neighbor. I'm down another five dollars for three more cables.
One of the 'problems' of buying from Monoprice is that I often order something more than I need just to have it 'someday' if needed. I have a growing inventory of cables and 'stuff'.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Been using Belkins since this thread started and have had great performance.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:40 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
All HDMI cables (of the same version) have the same quality, unless you are unlucky and get a damaged one or something. Like some others said, use Monoprice.com for your HDMI cabling needs (and many other cables, too). I've bought cables from them a number of times and never had a problem. If you're paying $30, $40, or $100 for an HDMI cable you're paying way too much.

Stay away from ridiculously overpriced brands such as Monster.
That's not 100% true. All cables under a certain length have the same quality. Since HDMI is digital, it's just 1's and 0's. Either it transmits or it doesn't. But when you get up over about 40 feet, cables with better shielding will give you a noticeable difference in quality, because you'll start losing 1's and 0's if it's not a well shielded cable.

How many people use a 40+ foot cable is another topic altogether.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Been using Belkins since this thread started and have had great performance.

LOL @ "Since this thread started"...
Why is this thread still running???

Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
That's not 100% true. All cables under a certain length have the same quality. Since HDMI is digital, it's just 1's and 0's. Either it transmits or it doesn't. But when you get up over about 40 feet, cables with better shielding will give you a noticeable difference in quality, because you'll start losing 1's and 0's if it's not a well shielded cable.

Where do the 1s and 0s go? Do they leak out, or are they abducted by invading digital kidnappers who broke through the minimal shielding?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post

You really have no idea what you are talking about. Shielding has no effect on signal loss. Signal loss is caused by attenuation - which is primarily related to the conductive material and the size of the wire strands. Cables designed for longer runs use heavier gauge wire strands.

Shielding reduces the vulnerability of cable to interference. Internally an HDMI cable is four shielded twisted pairs. Yes - cheaper HDMI cables could have lower quality materials and it might have an effect in some cases.

Professionals that need to run HDMI long distances often use Cat5e cable pairs instead with matching baluns ("adapter") on each end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics