U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2008, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC area
24 posts, read 4,162 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

I'm going to try and do this without violating any forum rules as my intent is not to advertise, but rather, to inform. If I do violate one of the rules, please DM me and I'll be glad to change the thread to be in compliance.

Not only am I new to City-Data.com, I am also the new manager of a consumer electronics store in Winston-Salem (name withheld so as not to advertise). I know this can be a very confusing business with 1080i, 720p, 1080p, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, DVD, Blu-Ray etc. etc. etc.

So I thought I would start a thread where anybody could ask any question about TVs, surround sound, custom remotes, stereo, home theater or anything else related to consumer electronics.

Are you confused about these technologies? Do you have questions about your new TV? Are you ready for Feb 2009?
By the way, I'm also new to Winston-Salem (my family and I live near Lake Norman) so please don't ask me anything specific about Winston-Salem.

Tip: If you didn't connect your new Blu-Ray player to your new 1080P LCD with an HDMI cable, you're not taking full advantage of that Blu-Ray player. And yes, to a certain extent, cable quality does matter.

(BTW: this was originally posted in a local forum)

Last edited by LKNMHiFiGuy; 07-31-2008 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: To help explain the Winston-Salem references (since this thread was moved)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2008, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
3,193 posts, read 5,966,976 times
Reputation: 1624
OK.

Question 1. Can I have digital cable without the pain-in-the-neck digital converter box? My wife is handicapped with limited dexterity and cannot use those remote controls that seem to be a necessary evil with digital cable.

Question 2. The house was pre-wired for surround-sound, and I have it currently hooked up to the Dolby 5.1 receiver. In order to place a wider-screen TV, I'll probably need to relocate it to another wall of the living room where I had another cable outlet installed. Of course, then I will lose the ability to connect into the existing surround-sound. Can I replace the existing receiver with a wireless surround-sound system? Or, can I somehow relocate the receiver but still hook it into the existing connections without having to perform any new wiring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC area
24 posts, read 4,162 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
OK.

Question 1. Can I have digital cable without the pain-in-the-neck digital converter box? My wife is handicapped with limited dexterity and cannot use those remote controls that seem to be a necessary evil with digital cable.

Question 2. The house was pre-wired for surround-sound, and I have it currently hooked up to the Dolby 5.1 receiver. In order to place a wider-screen TV, I'll probably need to relocate it to another wall of the living room where I had another cable outlet installed. Of course, then I will lose the ability to connect into the existing surround-sound. Can I replace the existing receiver with a wireless surround-sound system? Or, can I somehow relocate the receiver but still hook it into the existing connections without having to perform any new wiring?
1) Yes, you can have digital cable, per se, but you won't be taking advantage of it without the use of the converter box. I don't understand how the Time Warner remote (assuming they're your service provider) would be any more difficult for your wife to use than the remote that comes with the TV? Is the size of the remote buttons where the problem lies? If so, you can get remotes that have larger buttons.

2) Is the room you're talking about on the 1st floor of your house? If so, is there a crawl space underneath the room or are you on a slab? If you're on a crawl, anything is possible. If you're on a slab, anything is possible as long as you have an accessible attic directly above this room (1 story home).

Before you actually purchase anything new, let me know when you're ready and I can take a look at the room and give you your options. I can also help with equipment discounts. There would not be any charge or fee for my consultation (if you're in Huntersville)(because that's close enough to me). Feel free to DM me if you prefer to coordinate that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Beautiful place in Virginia
2,621 posts, read 7,518,133 times
Reputation: 1124
What advantage does 1080P have over 1080i?

What is the best option for viewing DVDs in high definition outside of Blue Ray?

Are there still HD DVDs?

I have a 1080p plasma but use an upconverting DVD player to 1080i.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 PM
 
Location: St. Augustine
9,258 posts, read 11,705,333 times
Reputation: 7417
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNMHiFiGuy View Post
1)

Before you actually purchase anything new, let me know when you're ready and I can take a look at the room and give you your options. I can also help with equipment discounts. There would not be any charge or fee for my consultation (if you're in Huntersville)(because that's close enough to me). Feel free to DM me if you prefer to coordinate that way.

This appears to be advertising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC area
24 posts, read 4,162 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
What advantage does 1080P have over 1080i?

What is the best option for viewing DVDs in high definition outside of Blue Ray?

Are there still HD DVDs?

I have a 1080p plasma but use an upconverting DVD player to 1080i.
The P stands for progressive. The i stands for interlaced. Think of your TV with 1080 horizontal lines on it, with each line either being an ODD numbered line or an EVEN numbered line. So line 1 is ODD and line 2 is EVEN and they alternate that way all the way to line 1080. When watching in 1080i, the ODDs and EVENs are displayed in an alternating fashion. It happens so quickly that the human eye can't really see it, however, motion will appear to be a little blurred. When watching something in 1080p, the odd lines and the even lines are displayed simultaneaously and the result is a clearer picture, even when watching motion.

High definition is defined as not less than 720p/1080i. DVDs are 480 lines of resolution. The original format is really what dictates your final image so 480 lines "upconverted" to 1080 isn't really 1080 lines of resolution. So you're not really watching DVDs in hi-def. Just make sure your DVD player is hooked up with component video cables (at least) which are the red/green/blue video connections.

You can probably find HD DVDs out there still, but, it won't be as easy as finding Blu-Rays (obviously). I'd look on Ebay and/or Craigslist.

I hope this answered your questions. If it didn't. please let me know and I'll try to re-address them when I get home from work tomorrow night.

Thanks for your inquiry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2008, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Beautiful place in Virginia
2,621 posts, read 7,518,133 times
Reputation: 1124
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNMHiFiGuy View Post
And yes, to a certain extent, cable quality does matter.

(BTW: this was originally posted in a local forum)
I read that the HDMI cables for under $10 has the same performance as the high end Monster cables.

Thanks for the response on HDTVs.
--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 12:58 PM
 
7,001 posts, read 9,589,641 times
Reputation: 7194
Sounds like the OP was, in fact, trolling for business and won't be in this forum anymore.

Wish they'd do that more often with the real estate agents that troll the city forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 02:40 PM
 
19,351 posts, read 22,391,073 times
Reputation: 26788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Sounds like the OP was, in fact, trolling for business and won't be in this forum anymore.

Wish they'd do that more often with the real estate agents that troll the city forums.
And you say the OP won't be back because?... Do you know something we don't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2008, 02:50 PM
 
7,001 posts, read 9,589,641 times
Reputation: 7194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And you say the OP won't be back because?... Do you know something we don't?
I don't pretend to know the reason, but you can see it says "not a member" under his name now. I do know what that means - he did something that got the administrators upset enough to ban him.
Actually that's to bad, seemed to give useful detailed answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top