U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-02-2008, 01:45 PM

3,060 posts, read 4,878,603 times
Default Does this sound like a good deal?

I got an email from Comp USA, with this deal:

Sylvania LC420SS8 HDTV, Sylvania NB501SL9 Blu Ray DVD Player (Bundle)
Tiny URL - create a shorter link

I'm not very well versed in the tech these days - we've been fine with standard tube tv's, etc...but now that we've decided to move forward, I just want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off!

Any info is appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:32 PM

12,804 posts, read 13,387,007 times
Well, I didn't even look at the "deal" on the link. Why should such a store send you an e-mail? Could this e-mail take you to another web site that looks just like Comp USA, but one that is not? The simple fact that you are not sure about the "deal" tells me that you are suspicious.

I would not take such a chance, but that's me.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:27 PM

3,060 posts, read 4,878,603 times
No no no - it's a legit email. I signed up for them, and that was one of their sale items. I wasn't sure about whether or not it was legit, I just wasn't sure if that tv and that player are worth buying...

I buy from Comp USA and Tiger Direct often.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:56 PM

12,714 posts, read 7,772,068 times
Type in the model number in Google and find out what kind of deal it really is.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:02 PM

13,766 posts, read 9,427,389 times
When I bought our LCD TV, CompUSA was one of the stores I priced. I was not impressed. I didn't look at your link, so I don't know the model in question or pricing, but I'd be hesitant to buy a TV from CompUSA without carefully checking out the specs, warranty info, and shopping them on the price first. Their prices were very high, compared to the other stores I looked at. I eventually ended up with a 32" LG that I bought from Circuit City for a good price - it was a display model so it was a pretty deep discount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics