U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 06:25 PM

409 posts, read 2,571,572 times

Advertisements

I know I sound stupid asking this but I don't understand phones. I b ought a cordless phone and the guy said I needed a base phone in the house with a cord and then you can have cordless. Why? Don't get this. Why would you need one corded phone....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 07:52 PM

11,627 posts, read 20,790,786 times
If there is a power outage, you don't have telephone coverage on cordless phones.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:40 PM

1,667 posts, read 8,475,643 times
You don't really need a corded one. Cordless phones have a "base" they recharge into, which transmits the signal to the cordless receiver. However, as Flamingo13 said, they don't work in a power outage like a corded one does. We use our cell phones only. Got rid of the home phone years ago.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:47 AM

1,097 posts, read 3,620,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosa View Post
I know I sound stupid asking this but I don't understand phones. I b ought a cordless phone and the guy said I needed a base phone in the house with a cord and then you can have cordless. Why? Don't get this. Why would you need one corded phone....
I think that what the guy was saying is that the base of the cordless phone has a cord that plugs in just like any other phone. Maybe?? That's the only thing that makes sense.

Only semi-off-topic: Cordless handsets have a battery that recharges when you put it on the base. How hard would it be to include a battery in the base that would hold a charge so that you could make phone calls in a power outage? Seems like it wouldn't take much of a back-up battery.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:54 AM

5,775 posts, read 12,437,771 times
That's one of the best ideas I've ever heard of! Yes - why don't they? It would only be interacting with the dial tone that's already present. There has got to be a reason that maybe we just don't understand.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:22 AM

I should know by now that any time I think I have an idea for a product that isn't out there - someone else already thought of it.

This phone seems to have a backup battery, and I'm sure there are others.

AT&T EP5995 5.8 GHz Cordless Phone in Cordless Telephones at JR.com

Old 08-05-2008, 08:59 AM

5,775 posts, read 12,437,771 times
The ad doesn't say if the phone can still make calls using battery power. Most base units with an answering system will save time and messages etc. If the AT&T EP5995 phone was designed to make calls using stored power I wouldn't expect the battery back-up feature to be the last item on the list. But then you never know.

Hey Naptowner - maybe you can still market that idea!

Old 08-05-2008, 09:42 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,499,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
How hard would it be to include a battery in the base that would hold a charge so that you could make phone calls in a power outage? Seems like it wouldn't take much of a back-up battery.
Not hard, but it would increase the price substantially. The frequency of power outages in most parts of the country is very low, and the additional cost would outweigh the potential benefit. It would probably add at least $15 to the price of the cordless phone, and you can pick up a cheap corded phone for much less than that.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Not hard, but it would increase the price substantially. The frequency of power outages in most parts of the country is very low, and the additional cost would outweigh the potential benefit. It would probably add at least $15 to the price of the cordless phone, and you can pick up a cheap corded phone for much less than that.
Sure, but who wants to keep a spare corded phone in the closet to fish out if the power goes out? It looks as though there are several standalone battery backups (kind of like a UPS for the phone) and there is at least one model that can make and receive calls when the power goes out, so somebody's buying them.

I don't know why I care, I don't even use a landline.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 8,129 times
how do you register the handset in the ep 5995 model, it states on the menu you have to do this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics