Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who makes the best GPS systems?
Garmin 15 78.95%
Mio 0 0%
Magellan 0 0%
Harmon Kardon 0 0%
Sony 0 0%
Novogo 0 0%
Tom Tom 0 0%
Panasonic 0 0%
Navigon 1 5.26%
Other 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 04:47 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times

Advertisements

Who makes the best GPS systems? Why?

Garmin
Tom Tom
Magellan
Sony
Harmon Kardon
Navman
Mio
Navagon
Panasonic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 08:45 PM

I am comfortable with the Garmin interface, the map accuracy and the operation of its products. They are unfortunately in the higher end of the budget category.

However, Tom Tom and Magellan have improved by leaps and bounds so that is why I generated the thread.

What is your experience?

Old 09-07-2008, 09:28 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
I've always been partial to Garmin. The units have been rock solid and taken tons of abuse. My friends who have Magellans have ALL had issues with the cases cracking and other "cheapness" issues.

My current GPS is a model with routing, but it's not one of the models that's designed primarily for in-car use. I have only owned hand-held models suitable for use while hiking. Other brands may rate higher in the car-only category...

Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
I like my Navigon. It was $99 refurbished, so the price was right. The interface looks a lot like the factory GPSes I've seen, so I assume they're building them for auto manufacturers. The software and map updates they've supplied have been super easy to download and install compared to my old Garmin unit.

Navigon got my vote.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:21 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
We have a mio, first one I have ever used. At first I wanted to throw it out the window! Now I am acclimated to it, so.....

Does anyone know if there is a GPS manufactured specifically for 18 wheelers? We own some, and several times when I went with him and tried to navigate with the mio, I almost got us in BAD trouble! Low overpasses, no trucks allowed, etc.... (once in CT I thought he was going to throw me AND the mio out the window )

I would love to purchase one that is specifically for big trucks. Any help is appreciated!

Kat

Old 09-10-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
We have a mio, first one I have ever used. At first I wanted to throw it out the window! Now I am acclimated to it, so.....

Does anyone know if there is a GPS manufactured specifically for 18 wheelers? We own some, and several times when I went with him and tried to navigate with the mio, I almost got us in BAD trouble! Low overpasses, no trucks allowed, etc.... (once in CT I thought he was going to throw me AND the mio out the window )

I would love to purchase one that is specifically for big trucks. Any help is appreciated!

Kat
One of the things that I recommend before buying a product is to check the manufacturer's website and read the manual. It would typically be in a PDF format.

http://service.mio.com/M0100/MainFra...?menuid=100401

Garmin: Manuals

Service & Support - NAVIGON

Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 AM

593 posts, read 2,439,115 times
I have the TomTom 330s, and it has helped me out more times than I can count. For the 18-wheeler driver: this one does have an advantage for you - it's called IQ Routes. Essentially, it determines which way to send you based on what day/time it is.

For example, when I drive from Northern Virginia to Maryland, leaving at 4 PM on a Thursday, it sends me around the city of DC. On the other hand, if it is a Saturday morning, it sends me right through DC because there is no commuter traffic. Very helpful if you're driving near big metro areas.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:18 AM

164 posts, read 984,363 times
You looking at handheld or fixed car models? I like crossovers handhelds cause i can use them out hiking, hunting, geocaching or while driving in the car.

Google this new one coming out Oct 15th. Delorme Earthmate PN-40 $399.00 Very innovative, dual processers, detailed mapping, and rave reviews from beta testers. I was convinced to get a Garmin Oregon 400t until I read about this one. Now I just cant wait until it gets here.

Old 09-14-2008, 06:56 PM

82 posts, read 259,728 times
Garmin hands down. Anything that can take the abuse my 7 year old son can dish out while geocaching has to be a top notch piece of equipment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics