U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 10:09 AM

10,238 posts, read 18,988,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
Finally medical equipment is going flat screen...more portable, easier to see...everything. Some places still have the big Cathode ray monitors and they suck.

Suck? What does that mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 02:51 PM

28,648 posts, read 40,627,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But bulbs are out. LED's are in. Some people need to get up to date about the latest in DLP technology by Samsung. They don't use bulbs. Instead they use LED's to project the picture. They're long life and should last about as long as LCD's and plasmas.

That leaves LED DLP's down to two problems that may not even concern a lot of people. First, narrower viewing angle. That problem, showing as dimming of the screen, may not be noticed unless a person stands close to the TV to watch it or lays on the floor to watch it. If viewing off to the side too much, the problem may be noticed, too.

Secondly, they can be but don't look cool like LCD's and plasmas mounted on the wall. But then I wonder if more people actually put their LCD and plasma TVs on stands, rather than going through the bother of mounting them to the wall.
Already have my Samsung LCD. Don't need to be concerned until I purchase another set, which is a long way off. By then It will all be different anyway.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:18 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,356,067 times
i have a 19" sony with the top 3rd of the screen having white lines going thru it. if i want to watch movies i watch them on my 22" computer monitor

Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 PM

7 posts, read 21,484 times
Now this is interesting, I have bought a 50 plasma, and a smaller Toshiba 20 for the bedroom, I have no desire to dump a great crt well until it will not work then I'll kick it out, The LED DLP is a great buy, most t.v. for the money spent, They are not wall mountable but small enough that a really good sturdy shelf will hold it, the display only weighs 80 lbs. I recommend the new flat tube, will last as long as the old tech. and will work upon the digital conversion soon to be here.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:34 PM

2,375 posts, read 5,426,194 times
I still have my CRT and will as long as it still works. Right now I don't have the extra money to replace perfectly good tvs. Only when this one kicks the bucket will I buy another one.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:00 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,186,133 times
My dad got a free med-large Sony CRT from a jobsite a few years ago. It replaced a 19" Zenith...I think the Sony is 32" and is huge for my room. I sit 5 feet away and sometimes 3 ft away from it...looks good. He has a 50" or so projector HDTV(which sucks) and I wouldn't trade him at all. The only reason I'd want a LCD is to save room because my huge CRT is too big for what it sits on. I might get a 30" LCD later this year if my g/f buys me a PS3 for XMAS. I have perfect surround sound already, so I'd be set.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:17 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,477,308 times
I have two LCD monitors for my computers, so decided to buy a 32" Sharp LCD TV that was on sale at the store. Definitely nicer than my 27" Sony CRT (I still have the Sony, but sold a 27" Toshiba CRT TV).

Old 08-20-2008, 12:16 AM

2,766 posts, read 6,567,179 times
Yes I have only flat panel LCD's now. I have a 32" Sylvania LCD HDTV in the living room, and a 23" Sceptre LCD HDTV for my bedroom. For the computer I use a DCLCD 20" LCD Flat Panel monitor.

Mainly I like these newer tv's because they are lighter weight, save a ton of room, and the picture is better. Honestly I'm not that big into the HD like so many people are, I mean it's great if I'm able to see it but it's not a must with me as I'm not a big TV watcher anyway. It's just nice having better TV's for when I do use them.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:05 AM

3,693 posts, read 4,274,193 times
Yeah I’m still using my 32” Panasonic Tau CRT as my gaming set and don’t yet feel compelled to upgrade. My XBox 360 is hooked up to it with component cables, my PS2 and Wii via S-Video and the picture is excellent. So much so that people who see games on it always comment about the crisp picture and vibrant colors.

The downside is that the set is unbelievably heavy. If I needed to move it around I would have replaced it long ago. Also, it only has one component input which is really lame.

I freely admit that most modern games look noticeably better on an HDTV but graphics aren’t the only issue for me as evidenced by the fact that I play the Wii just about as much as I do the 360.

When I finally upgrade my gaming TV it’ll have to be because I got a 1080p set at an unbelievably reasonable price or because the old Tau gave out. I should mention, however, that I do have a HDTV in my living room to watch shows on and it’s a Panasonic too.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:47 AM

32,850 posts, read 60,985,784 times
Now why would I dump something that still works?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics