Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 10:16 PM

1 posts, read 764 times

Advertisements

Or better yet buy them yourself if DTV or Dish and install yourself and save the $50× per room all you do is go to settings and go to whole home and manage clients and add clients and buy the splitter n cable cord Save the $50 per room and only pay $8.00 per client. I did and no $50 fee. For an example let's say you have 10 rooms that's an extra $500 you don't have to pay unless you opt for the protection which costs $10 per month which sounds like a deal but if you don't have any issues for ten months that's still one hundred extra that's not going back to your pocket. I rather install it myself save fifty dollars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 12:57 PM

5,047 posts, read 2,976,514 times
The cable systems today are all digital (MOCA), and that means the signal has to go both ways through the splitter(s) and/or amplifier(s). Bottom line -- the cable company can easily tell if you attach a new device device to a formerly unused wall outlet because like any ethernet gadget, it has to talk to their server.

Old 04-06-2018, 11:43 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,694,540 times
Skip cable altogether and go to a streaming model. Among its other advantages are that "the cable guy" and his company can't tell you want to do with the signals, programming, number of viewers, etc.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 577 times
Hello...as per my knowledge the splitter is most likely already hooked up, so in reality, the cable guy just has to go to your building's communication room and hook up the cable to your apartment. There's no way you should end up paying $20 per room for such a simple task.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:31 PM

14,612 posts, read 17,378,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockDorf View Post
Hello...as per my knowledge the splitter is most likely already hooked up, so in reality, the cable guy just has to go to your building's communication room and hook up the cable to your apartment. There's no way you should end up paying $20 per room for such a simple task.
This thread is now 10 years old, and it is very unlikely that any cable company today would charge $20 per room to do a hook up. The tendency today is to charge a fee for every set top box you have, so they would want you to have as many possible places to hook up a set top box.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 10-03-2018 at 11:28 PM..

Old 10-05-2018, 04:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,030,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
I'm moving into a new apartment soon. It is pre-wired for cable -- there are five "outlets" in four rooms. The Time-Warner guy says that there is an installation fee of about $20/room. My question is, can he actually just turn on the cable to specific outlets? In other words, if I only have him "install" cable in the main sitting room, won't the bedroom outlets also be live? Or does he actually have to connect each of the cables in some box somewhere?

What I'm hoping for is that I can just pay $20 for the one room, and hook up the other rooms myself with some coax cable bought from Radio Shack.

Anyone know how this works?
My BFF has had a cable and antenna service for decades, and one time when I was unemployed he and I rewired an entire apartment building.

All the outlets are live. The cable installer probably doesn't even have access to the distribution center. (The apartment rewiring guy—my BFF—had access to do the rewiring. He's not a regular installer.)

I'm with the other post suggesting streaming. All you need is Internet access, F the expensive cable or satellite charges. I've got a Roku in my den, Amazon Fire Cube in living room, Amazon Fire Stick in my bedroom.

I will concede that streaming service is not as good quality as standard cable or satellite, but when I want great quality I just play Blu-rays in either of my home theater setups. I mostly watch news anyway, I'm not a network TV fan.

Anyway, worst case, if you plans don't work out you can always call the installer back and have more outlets heated up. I doubt there is a separate service fee above the room charge for an additional trip. But honestly I don't know.

I've seen multi-room satellite setups in my rental houses that were pretty cool. They install the dish and it connects wireless to your satellite boxes. (No drilling holes in my houses! )

Old 10-17-2018, 03:56 AM

2 posts, read 8,768 times
They are probably just paying for one cable bill for all four Apts there is really no way of knowing who uses how much looks like your apt manager/landlord has kinda duped all of you if he makes you all pay for cable separately because he us probably just paying for the one line and had it split or split it himself. In doing that each time a cable is split it loses a little bit of signal, so actually having one line split four times each apt is only receiving roughly 25% of normal signal. If the cable is then split throughout your house and other Apts your signal drop could be significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics