Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:33 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times

Advertisements

I am looking into another HDTV (High Definition Television). I currently have a Sony Plasma TV. I am looking into placing the one I have in the den, into the bedroom.

A lot of the regular "Technophile" sites (CNET or ZDNET) have outdated information regarding the latest trend in HD television.

I found the following site:
HDTV high definition plasma television - HD LCD TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma HDTV Benefits

Higher Resolution: Plasma displays are capable of displaying full HDTV and DTV signals as well as XGA, SVGA and VGA signals from a computer.

No Scan Lines: Most plasma displays include built-in line doubling to further improve image quality when viewing standard analog video sources such as TV broadcasts and VCR tapes.

Exceptional Color Accuracy: Some plasma displays are capable of displaying 16.77 million colors and provide superb color realism with exceptionally subtle gradations between colors.

Widescreen Aspect Ratio: Plasma displays have a widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio and also allow many DVDs/videos to be viewed in widescreen format, as originally seen in the theater.

Perfectly Flat Screen: Plasma display monitors have screens that are perfectly flat - no curvature whatsoever, thus eliminating edge distortion.

Wider Viewing Angle: This allows a larger number of viewers to enjoy proper image reproduction from a wider variety of locations throughout the room.

Universal Display Capability: Most plasma monitors can accept any video format. Whether you want to view a sporting event on HDTV, a DVD-Video movie, a satellite broadcast or even surf the Internet with incredible big screen impact, chances are a plasma monitor will accommodate your needs.

Immunity from Magnetic Fields: Because plasma displays do not use electron beams, they are immune to the effects of magnetic fields. Plasmas can be placed in close proximity to any type of loudspeaker and not experience image distortion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCD HDTV benefits

Slim Design: Anyone who has an LCD monitor for their desktop computer will tell you that LCD technology makes for a great space saver in any room.

Light Weight and Durable: LCD's light weight and durability allow for more cost-efficient shipping than similarly sized plasma displays, as well as easy moving and mounting.

Excellent picture quality: See for yourself. Even in well-lit or bright rooms, the picture is awesome; an LCD screen reflects very little light.

Almost No Burn-In: The fluorescent backlight is filtered by the liquid crystal in solid state. Longevity: 50,000 and 80,000 hours claimed by manufacturers. These last as long as the backlight can produce white light. The backlight can be easily changed, as well.

Great for Computer Use: Most computers ship with LCD monitors because LCD technology contains more pixels per square inch than any other HDTV technology.

Economical and Environment-Friendly: LCD HDTVs use less power than Plasma or CRT TVs.
In general the purposes that I use a television is to watch sports, the news and DVDs (currently not a convert of HD or Blu-ray until the dust settles). Most channels that I watch broadcast in 720P or 1080i. We use a Nintendo Wii (for my child) and we do not have the HD gaming systems like Xbox 360 or PS3.

I am looking into 1080 P (realizing that only Blu-Ray utilizing this resolution).

The room in which I will view the TV has 12 foot ceilings and there is a lot of sunlight.

I want to view the TV from about 6- 8 feet away but also from a further distance (from the kitchen or eat in kitchen) at around 15-20 feet away also.I am considering something in the 47 to 50 inch range.

I am leaning towards Plasma HDTV, again. However, if there is compelling evidence to go with LCD, please advise me.

Any recommendations regarding manufacturers? or specific models?

Last edited by titaniummd; 02-12-2008 at 12:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 06:01 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
I think info on the differences are out there.. and it really is dependent on personal preference. Both have good/bad points.

Personally, I went' through the same search back over Christmas time. We ended up with a 52" Samsung LCD. Some of the factors what went into the decision was the weight (LCD < Plasma) which saved me $100 on the wall mount brackets, the energy use (LCD being slightly less), and my personal preference (between the two I was looking at, the LCD looked better in my family room).

Again, I'd advise you go "watch" the TVs in the stores before you make a decision. I don't think you'd go wrong with either as long as you base it on what YOU want.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:18 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
If it is a really bright room I would go with LCD. LCD will be easier to see without darkening the room. Plasma can almost completely wash out. On the other hand if the LCD is one of those rare ones that has a plain glass screen you may have problems with glare as well.

For all other situations I would go with plasma.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:44 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
I agree with ImRandy

Also IF you have a kid, the glass on the front of the plasma will come in handy. Those LCD screens are soft and easy to damage. But as others have said the plasma will have screen glare just like old CRTs because of the glass and light reflection. BUT Plasma has better PQ (picture quality) and true blacks.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:23 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,504,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I agree with ImRandy

Also IF you have a kid, the glass on the front of the plasma will come in handy. Those LCD screens are soft and easy to damage. But as others have said the plasma will have screen glare just like old CRTs because of the glass and light reflection. BUT Plasma has better PQ (picture quality) and true blacks.
1080p is 1080p, Plasma or LCD.

In that size range, just really it comes down to personal preference. Weigh the pros and cons, and good luck.

Personally, I still worry about Plasma burn-out, so I'll stick to LCD.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:17 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
If you can't block out the sunlight I'd go w/an LCD.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:24 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
We just bought a Samsung 4671 LCD. Haven't got it yet, but we spent 3 years looking before we bought. Hope we did the right thing! Of course we have 15 days to change our minds so that helps.

Our reasoning:

We have a full wall of south-facing windows right next to where the TV goes

Watching distance varies from about 8 feet to 20. We decided a 52" was just too big for the 8 foot distance, but a 46 would suffice for the 20 foot. Sitting 8 feet away in the store showed to much "graininess" for our taste.

120HZ - I was "iffy" about this until Sunday. We were watching a Sony W3000 46" (60HZ) and I saw blurs when a man was being interviewed during the Daytona 500. It was his beard. Short hair, and it would blur and "jump" as he talked and moved his head. Ran over to the Samsung and saw no blur.

25k:1 contrast ratio. Better I'm told. The blacks did seem deeper.

Reviews. Read a lot of really good things about the 4671. CR rated it high.

After we've had it a while I'll report back (2 week waiting list, but I've been looking for 3 years so 2 weeks is nothing).

Plasma - just too shiny with our windows.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:23 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
1080p is 1080p, Plasma or LCD.

In that size range, just really it comes down to personal preference. Weigh the pros and cons, and good luck.

Personally, I still worry about Plasma burn-out, so I'll stick to LCD.
1080p references resolution, that has nothing to do with PQ. By PQ or picture quality I mean can the tv reproduce colors in their true hue. Some tvs push green, some push red. Plasmas have better color reproduction over LCD any day of the week and thats a fact.

either way just read this comparison from cnet and draw your own conclusion (link)

Old 02-12-2008, 07:28 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,735,456 times
The only reservations I have about LCD are the limited viewing angles and the possibility of dead pixels like on PCs/Laptops.

Are the processors just as fast with LCD regarding sports or other fast action that there will be no discernible difference? I read that LCD has a lag (or is that a 1st generation LCD?).

Old 02-13-2008, 01:26 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
Keep in mind, plasmas can have dead pixels as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics