U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-07-2008, 05:18 PM
 
Location: GIlbert, AZ
3,025 posts, read 4,589,027 times
Reputation: 2062

Advertisements

Hi, thanks for reading my thread. I'm about to start a career as a home theater sales person. The place I work is a commission sales stuctured place, but does not have the greatest training. Alot of the sales people came from somewhere else. I need a crash course. There is so much to learn, by my self in 4 days, that I am overwhelmed. Can any body give me some tips on what I need to worry in the first week just to get by.

For instance, when I sold computers, the first week, I learned about Ram, hard-drive, and processor speed. This seemed to be enough to scrape by the first week. I made the assumption that I would have to be extremely technical, but turns out, most people just wanted to know that the software they used would work, and the games would play.

For HDTV, and Audio can anybody help me with the basics? Any THANKS.

What questions shoud I be asking for example. rep points to any body who helps.

Thanks,

Foreverking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2008, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Beautiful place in Virginia
2,658 posts, read 10,568,563 times
Reputation: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Hi, thanks for reading my thread. I'm about to start a career as a home theater sales person. The place I work is a commission sales stuctured place, but does not have the greatest training. Alot of the sales people came from somewhere else. I need a crash course. There is so much to learn, by my self in 4 days, that I am overwhelmed. Can any body give me some tips on what I need to worry in the first week just to get by.

For instance, when I sold computers, the first week, I learned about Ram, hard-drive, and processor speed. This seemed to be enough to scrape by the first week. I made the assumption that I would have to be extremely technical, but turns out, most people just wanted to know that the software they used would work, and the games would play.

For HDTV, and Audio can anybody help me with the basics? Any THANKS.

What questions shoud I be asking for example. rep points to any body who helps.

Thanks,

Foreverking
Here are some resources regarding high end Televisions.

Flat Panel General & New FP Tech - AVS Forum

Flat panel guide:

Flat Panel Buyers Guide For Noobs - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Home theater basics:

Basics - Home Theater Forum

Good luck. There is a lot of information out there. I was researching for 1 month before I bought my television.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 05:56 PM
 
Location: GIlbert, AZ
3,025 posts, read 4,589,027 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Here are some resources regarding high end Televisions.

Flat Panel General & New FP Tech - AVS Forum

Flat panel guide:

Flat Panel Buyers Guide For Noobs - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Home theater basics:

Basics - Home Theater Forum

Good luck. There is a lot of information out there. I was researching for 1 month before I bought my television.
Thats a great start. Anything on the questions the sales pros ask to help break down the options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Beautiful place in Virginia
2,658 posts, read 10,568,563 times
Reputation: 1281
Default How to buy a Flat Panel TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Thats a great start. Anything on the questions the sales pros ask to help break down the options?
First question is what is your budget? Alternatively other ask how big is the room? OR What do you plan to do with it (games, movies, sports)?

There is a rule of thumb regarding distance from the television to see what television is appropriate. I don't recall the formula off of the top of my head.

When someone asks me what TV to get:
What is your budget? (LCDs cost a bit more than Plasmas)
Is the purchase a replacement for another television? What type of TV is being replaced?
How much light is there in the room? (LCDs are favored due to the matte screen over glass that is in plasma and they tend to be brighter)
Do you play video games? (LCDs are favored since screen burn in is less of an issue)
What type of equipment do you have now or do you plan to upgrade? (It is important how many HDMI ports there are)
Do they plan to use High Definition signal? Cable? Satellite? (broadcast shows are in 1080i or 720p; Blue Ray comes in 1080p)
Do they watch sports? (120 Hz LCDs or Plasmas are favored)
Do they plan to mount the TV?
How big is the room?
How tall is the wall?

In the end, I chose a Panasonic 85 50" TV:
It has a higher static and dynamic contrast ratio.
It has a coating that minimizes glare.
It's response time is a fraction of an LCD (1-2 milliseconds over 4 msec of an LCD)
I was also replacing another Plasma television.

The room is 19'1" x 19'6" and the ceiling is 12 feet high (I guess I could have gone with 58" or 60"+ but the price point was exponentially higher between 50 and 58").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 08:28 PM
 
Location: GIlbert, AZ
3,025 posts, read 4,589,027 times
Reputation: 2062
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
First question is what is your budget? Alternatively other ask how big is the room? OR What do you plan to do with it (games, movies, sports)?

There is a rule of thumb regarding distance from the television to see what television is appropriate. I don't recall the formula off of the top of my head.

When someone asks me what TV to get:
What is your budget? (LCDs cost a bit more than Plasmas)
Is the purchase a replacement for another television? What type of TV is being replaced?
How much light is there in the room? (LCDs are favored due to the matte screen over glass that is in plasma and they tend to be brighter)
Do you play video games? (LCDs are favored since screen burn in is less of an issue)
What type of equipment do you have now or do you plan to upgrade? (It is important how many HDMI ports there are)
Do they plan to use High Definition signal? Cable? Satellite? (broadcast shows are in 1080i or 720p; Blue Ray comes in 1080p)
Do they watch sports? (120 Hz LCDs or Plasmas are favored)
Do they plan to mount the TV?
How big is the room?
How tall is the wall?

In the end, I chose a Panasonic 85 50" TV:
It has a higher static and dynamic contrast ratio.
It has a coating that minimizes glare.
It's response time is a fraction of an LCD (1-2 milliseconds over 4 msec of an LCD)
I was also replacing another Plasma television.

The room is 19'1" x 19'6" and the ceiling is 12 feet high (I guess I could have gone with 58" or 60"+ but the price point was exponentially higher between 50 and 58").
This is great....I am practicing on my wife with these questions. Id rep you again but Im limited until I "spread it around". Do you sell these or do you just buy alot of electronics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2008, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Beautiful place in Virginia
2,658 posts, read 10,568,563 times
Reputation: 1281
No. I just buy a lot of stuff and research things - not just electronics.

I do about 1 month of research on everything that costs more than $200 to buy.
Golf equipment (especially)
Pets/Pet related topics
Bikes (road and mountain)
Cars
GPS
Computers (laptops)
Houses/Real Estate
Televisions
Furniture
Appliances
Stocks
MP3 players
Cameras
PDAs
etc, etc.

I am a member of many specialized websites on the internet. LOL!

Good luck in your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:49 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top