U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2008, 03:43 PM

87 posts, read 296,098 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to purchase an Ipod, but don't know which one I should buy. The Ipod Touch looks like the one I want, but I just wanted to get some feedback.

Here is what I do, and what I would like to use it for.
I like to run and work out, so a big Ipod touch seems too large, but I also deal with quite a bit of photos.

I am not a musical guru, so I won't have thousands of songs to download, but do want to listen to music when I travel and work out.

Any suggestions on what the best piece of equipment would be great.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 03:31 PM

6,022 posts, read 13,689,113 times
if you're looking to run w/ your iPod, I HIGHLY suggest NOT getting an iPod Classic. the Classics (larger capacity iPods) all use hard drive based memory, which involve a lot of moving parts, moving parts that get jostled around and possibly damaged when you take it running. from what I've heard, the main reason Classic iPods break down is due to HD failure (some times the main reason laptops break down too). it's only really good if you have a crazy amount of music and data you must carry around w/ you and for using it at home or in the car, where it won't be jostled around as much. hard drive based memory is being phased out of the iPod line hence and so the new version of the Classic may be the last (good riddance)

the iPod Touch, Nanos, and Shuffles all use flash based memory, which involve no moving parts so tend to last longer than HD iPods. they have smaller capacity, but even this is changing (I can't wait for a flash drive laptop to come on the market!). plus, I heard there was some Nike app on the Touch that may come in handy for you (I have no clue what it is though!). there's also the Nano and Shuffle to consider if the Touch is too big (I personally dislike the lack of a screen in the Shuffle, but it would be great for jogging), though they obviously lack many of the Touch's coolest features

Old 09-20-2008, 05:44 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,070,803 times
For running/working out, I highly recommend the Nano.

If you have a Nike+ (or a shoepocket for noncompatible shoes) you cann sync your runs from your Nano to your computer (tracked by Nike). If you are curious of this tehcnology, I think the link is nikeplus.com or do a search on Google.

If you don't care about the "keeping track" feature on the Nano, then the Shuffle is great. It's tiny and clips to your clothes. The only thing is there's no screen and less features (obviously) but if you've never used a Nano, Video, Touch etc then it probably won't affect you as much.

I personally have a Video and Nano and love both. The Video I use for trips/travel and I use the Nano for working out. I love the Nike+ feature and use it all the time. I think it's cool that it tracks how far you run (albeit slightly inaccurate) and calories lost and totals.

The touch is cool b'c it's WiFi. You don't have to buy any services - as long as there is an Internet connection that you have access to, you can use the wireless features on the Touch.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 09-20-2008, 05:52 PM

1,677 posts, read 5,904,613 times
Which every one you choose, get the largest memory size in flash memory, My nano is 4 gig and I wish I had the 8. If you use it every few days you will become tired of the same old songs. Then I tend to listen for hours and hours at work. My choice would be a nano 8 gig for running.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:58 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,070,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
Which every one you choose, get the largest memory size in flash memory, My nano is 4 gig and I wish I had the 8. If you use it every few days you will become tired of the same old songs. Then I tend to listen for hours and hours at work. My choice would be a nano 8 gig for running.
I agree because I always tend to get the 'biggest and best' but 4 gig can hold a LOT of songs. I only have 2 gigs worth on my 4gig Nano and have about 20-30 gigs of media. 2 gigs is more than plenty of music for me to listen to all day so if I filled it up, it could last a lon time w/o listening to the same thing twice!

And remember, you can always switch what songs to include in your iPod but it is still part of your "library" in iTunes. My personal experience is, this isn't going to be a constant thing wehre you have to constantly swap songs to listen to new stuff but you may have more music than me.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:27 PM

605 posts, read 2,599,780 times
I'd get a new Nano. I have three iPods - a 30 GB video, a 16 GB Touch and a 1 GB shuffle. I use my Shuffle exclusively for exercise; my 30 GB video and the Touch are just too cumbersome and weighty for that. The Nano is light enough and if you get a good case it will be light enough to wear while running/working out, and it will show photos.

I like the Touch for wi fi (I bring it to school and use it to surf/check email without needing to bring my laptop) and that is great, but if you're not interested in wi fi (you didn't mention it in your post) I wouldn't bother spending money for that.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 6,817 times
ktk9,

You might want to think about paying the people you owe money to before you go out and purchase items for yourself.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:45 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,568,563 times
I have a 2 GB Creative Zen MP3 player with FM Radio. It fits about 9 albums. I have the option of a radio + my music. For running any small 1 to 2 GB will do (you just have to change the music out if you want variety). Smaller and lighter is better.

For travel, the Touch and IPOD video can store a lot of music and videos. Podcasts are a plus (video or audio programming on many topics). I have an 80 GB IPOD video and watch movies/videos when I am waiting in line or travelling. The touch is nice but the internal memory is limited and the price premium is a lot higher for a comparable IPOD VIDEO.

Your advantage with the touch is the larger screen and ability for WIFI to check mail, weather, surf the net. There are also games and widgets available for the IPOD touch making it akin to a limited PDA. However battery life will be shortened with heavy use. Seeing photos is a novelty and not a major of function of MP3 players.

Both will function as portable hard drives.

My advice is to get both a flash player for running and a hard drive based MP3 player for travel.

Old 09-28-2008, 03:33 PM

16,723 posts, read 29,314,884 times
The main differences between the iPod and iPod Touch are as follows:

iPod: allows you to store and playback songs, just like any other MP3 devise. You can also store photos, and video to look at.

iPod Touch: allows you to connect wirelessly to the Internet, surf the net, check you mail, and do the same things you can do with the iPod.

The iPhone is much like an iPod Touch, but unlike the "Touch," it has a built-in camera, and cell phone.
-------
Now, for your needs (as told by you), I agree with others, and recommend an 8GB Ipod Nano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics