U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 09:50 AM

175 posts, read 1,347,591 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I have a big screen LCD HD-TV, but right now am using a big old radio antenna (in the attic upstairs) to get my broadcast, over the air channels. If it is a really windy day, some of the HD channels start pausing and pixelating, so I will just switch to the 'regular' channels. When the weather is fine, the HD channels are fine. Soooo....they say in Feb. when the digital takeover happens, my digital tv won't need anything else to receive the 'new' signal, right? Will I still need the radio antenna then? Will I still have problems with the HD channels pausing and pixelating? (Keep in mind, I do NOT have cable or satellite, and no plans to get them)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 10:01 AM

225 posts, read 315,362 times
I was mildly surprised to see my new television received the digital broadcasts off rabbit ears. All television broadcasters are going to do is stop the analog broadcast (replace with more digital content) so you should be able to continue as you have been doing, albeit with the occasional pixelation. With the digital b-cast, it is more of an 'all or nothing' reception unlike the analog which degrades with signal strength and reception.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:53 AM

270 posts, read 1,151,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
Hi everyone! I have a big screen LCD HD-TV, but right now am using a big old radio antenna (in the attic upstairs) to get my broadcast, over the air channels. If it is a really windy day, some of the HD channels start pausing and pixelating, so I will just switch to the 'regular' channels. When the weather is fine, the HD channels are fine. Soooo....they say in Feb. when the digital takeover happens, my digital tv won't need anything else to receive the 'new' signal, right? Will I still need the radio antenna then? Will I still have problems with the HD channels pausing and pixelating? (Keep in mind, I do NOT have cable or satellite, and no plans to get them)
My guess is that the pixelating is happening "upstream" of you: the stations are having problems receiving the signals from their source because of wind (their own satellite dish is being blown off pointing, for example) and the brief signal loss gets processed into coarse pixelation at the local station, from which it is broadcast. If that's right, different TVs showing the same station would all show the same pixelation problems; next time it does, call a neighbor and you can check.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:49 PM

So will I still have to use my big antenna with my digital tv like I do now?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,908 posts, read 33,651,200 times
The answer depends greatly on the situation in your local market. Around here, some of the broadcasters are sending out their digital signals at reduced power until they are required to turn off the analog signal. If that is happening in your area, you may see an immediate improvement in the picture quality you get once the analog signals go away. Some stations are broadcasting their digital signal on a different channel now than they will be after February 17... once the signal moves to its permanent channel, you will likely get different reception.

The bottom line is, you really won't know for sure what you'll need to receive the digital signal until next February. What you're getting now is not necessarily what you'll be getting then. It should be slightly better by then.

I post on another forum where over-the-air reception of HD is discussed. People new to that board join and talk about how they have invested in fancy antennas to receive a particular digital signal, only to be embarrassed when they find out that they may not have needed to make that investment.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:02 PM

10,756 posts, read 18,017,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
So will I still have to use my big antenna with my digital tv like I do now?
You will need an antenna, how big or high depends on your distance from the stations you receive. The HD your receiving now will not change, you'll just lose the analog channels.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:13 AM

Thanks everyone! Guess I'll hang on to my giant Radio shack antenna

Old 10-25-2008, 09:58 AM

2,925 posts, read 4,277,099 times
Kitty, if your receiving a good signal from your stations currently you will not notice any difference in quality. If any the channels you receive now are "ghosting" which the correct term is "multi-path" then you'll have problems with a digital signal. It will show up as pixalated, audio interuption, freezing picture or in the worse case, no picture at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics