Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:56 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I have been dealing with the what I think is a poor picture quality on my Sharp Aquos 46 inch HDTV (1080). My folks got me this TV for Christmas last year.

The picture quality is OK, but never has been as "crisp" and clear as I have seen others on display elsewhere. I finally got a service for the local stations on HD and got the box for HD signals. Well, even on the HD stations, I am not pleased with the quality, as I am not getting the crisp picture I would like. I have seen them on display with crisp pictures and after just coming back from visiting relatives in South Carolina with HDTV, I am convinced that this is not up to par.

I am wondering- could this be a TV issue, or just the poor service provided by our local cable company, or a low quality box, or ? The HD box is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD.

If its a TV issue, I need to address it soon, as the warranty goes out in December. Whats worse is they paid $2400 for this - now they are on sale for $1500.

Thanks for any advice or information on what I need to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 12:29 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Did you calibrate it using Avia or DVE calibration discs? If you haven't, do it. Do you have a Bluray player? After the calibration, hook your tv to a Bluray player using an HDMI cable. The picture quality you get a good bluray disc should be better than you get from cables. If the picture quality doesn't improve, then I would say the display is bad.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
Could be a lot of compression in the cable "HD" signal also.

Can you receive any HD signals with an antenna? Try comparing that to the cable picture. If the antenna HD signals are a much higher picture quality, then it's a cable company issue.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:25 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Are you using a HDMI cable?

Old 10-23-2008, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the replies guys... I will have to check all of that, because I am unsure. I am just using what the cable company gave me. If I took a photo of these cables/wires, could someone here tell me by looking at them? Now the HD channels (which are only the local stations) are clearer than the same channels on regular cable, but not nearly as crisp as I have seen others, or my uncles.

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks for the replies guys... I will have to check all of that, because I am unsure. I am just using what the cable company gave me. If I took a photo of these cables/wires, could someone here tell me by looking at them? Now the HD channels (which are only the local stations) are clearer than the same channels on regular cable, but not nearly as crisp as I have seen others, or my uncles.

Thanks!
The cable company usually doesn't give you a HDMI cable, they run about $30 (you can find them online cheaper). For best picture quality, you want a HDMI cable, it looks like this:

Are you using this?

this?

this?
http://www.joytech.net/images/products/136-Component-Cable.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-24-2008, 04:13 PM

Thanks... nope - not using the top cable... I am using both types in the middle of your photos there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The cable company usually doesn't give you a HDMI cable, they run about $30 (you can find them online cheaper). For best picture quality, you want a HDMI cable, it looks like this:

Are you using this?

this?

this?

Old 10-24-2008, 04:38 PM

Ok, so the one you are using is only RED, YELLOW, WHITE, correct? That will not get you HD Quality. You need either an HDMI cable or a Composite Cable. The composite cables are GREEN, RED, BLUE.

I buy my HDMI Cables online for $10-15. Just google "Cheap HDMI Cable". You should see a much better picture with one.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Ok, so the one you are using is only RED, YELLOW, WHITE, correct? That will not get you HD Quality. You need either an HDMI cable or a Composite Cable. The composite cables are GREEN, RED, BLUE.

I buy my HDMI Cables online for $10-15. Just google "Cheap HDMI Cable". You should see a much better picture with one.

Thanks.. yeah, I have those red, white and yellow cables and also those threaded standard cables.

Well thanks for that info! I will get some of these cables and see if that does the trick before my warranty expires! I will post an update.

Thanks again!

Old 10-26-2008, 06:01 PM

Huh, your right... at Wal-Mart and Best Buy, the cheapest ones were like $40+. I have found them online as cheap as $6.00!

Do you think these really cheap ones are just as well? Anything would have to be better than what I am using now.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics