U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 AM

7,562 posts, read 16,562,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
February 19, 2007

To: SIRIUS Subscribers

Today is a very exciting day for SIRIUS customers. As you may have heard, SIRIUS Satellite Radio and XM Satellite Radio are merging to form the nation's premier audio entertainment provider.

This combination of our two offerings will benefit you - our loyal listeners. As a single company, we'll provide superior programming to you every day with the best of both SIRIUS and XM. Currently, XM and SIRIUS broadcast a wide range of commercial-free music channels, exclusive sports coverage, news, talk, and entertainment programming. Howard Stern. Oprah and Friends. The NFL. MLB. NBA. ESPN. CNBC. Fox News. Additionally, the combined company will be able to improve existing services such as real-time traffic information and rear-seat video as well as introduce new ones.

After shareholder and regulatory approvals, we anticipate that the combination will be finalized by the end of 2007. Until then, both companies will continue to operate independently. We will continue to provide you with the uninterrupted service - as well as the outstanding customer support - that you have come to expect and enjoy from SIRIUS. We do not anticipate any changes in your service during the merger process, however, please call our customer care team on 1- 888-539-7474 should you have any questions.

We look forward to the many benefits this combination will offer and continuing to make your listening experience an enjoyable one - offering more of the Very Best Radio on Radio.

Stay tuned,

Mel Karmazin, CEO
I think its terrible. I hope im wrong but we can look forward to uncompetitive pricing now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 01:36 PM

30,595 posts, read 68,160,294 times
I'm likewise concerned. Can someone say "price-gouging!"

Old 02-20-2007, 01:50 PM

405 posts, read 1,155,064 times
The deal won't be finalized for another 7 or 8 months, and that's IF it passes the FCC and antitrust hearings. I don't think the feds will buy the "our competition is the standard free radio available to all" speech.

And that's a big IF considering they are the only two real players in the game.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:05 PM

186 posts, read 851,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I'm likewise concerned. Can someone say "price-gouging!"
I hear what you are saying, but I was cynical about their prices anyways... I'm pretty sure they were keeping a close eye on each other (if not some sort of agreement of not to cut under each other drastically)...

From a user's point of view I'm looking forward to all those channels.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:51 PM

364 posts, read 407,235 times
That sucks. I have XM but have not subscribed to it for the past few months. After paying off enormous vet bills it seemed like a waste and something I could do without for a little bit. Though I did enjoy the service alot when I had it.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:13 AM

7,562 posts, read 16,562,215 times
Arrow, you probably can look forward to more channels, but at an inflated price! I specifically chose Sirius because of Radio 1, Alt and Hair Nation etc. What if one of these gets dropped? I know XM has similar channels, but i do not like the DJ's over there for the best part, as i have listened to XM. I for one can see me dropping the service if the price goes up or they drop them channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics