Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 06:22 PM

259 posts, read 1,041,799 times

Advertisements

Is this an ok place to post this question? I don't see a Thread for electronics and I think that's what I really need.

My TV is only a year old. Yesterday I noticed when I tried to change the volumn either lower or higher it took a number of seconds (about 10 seconds.) It also jumps to a much lower or higher volumn then I wanted. Also, when I try to change channels by either directly putting in the channel I want to watch or scanning the channels it is taking a long time. It used to change immediately. A couple of times when I put in the channel I want to watch a different channel appears.
My bedroom TV is working fine.

I did change the batteries in my remote control, but it didn't make any difference. Anybody out there have any ideas as to why this is happening? The way my luck has been going I'll probably need a new TV soon. The warrenty was good for only one year, just in time for it to start acting up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 08:09 PM

259 posts, read 1,041,799 times
Since my remote control isn't responding well to my TV I'm going to turn off the power for a few seconds to see if the corrects the problem. If that doesn't work guess I have to see a TV repair place.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Yes, this is the correct forum.

Replacing the remote with a $10 universal remote would be something to try. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, it's bound to be a less expensive thing to try than paying a technician to diagnose the problem.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:40 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Yes, this is the correct forum.

Replacing the remote with a $10 universal remote would be something to try. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, it's bound to be a less expensive thing to try than paying a technician to diagnose the problem.
That's what I'd recommend, it'll tell you if it's the remote of the TV that is the problem.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:54 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
Those universal remotes won't work on the newest DirectTV receivers you have to buy their remotes. Then program the remote into your satellite through a multiple of steps. We hate our new remotes; can't get them to program the VCR, DVD and no sleep timer buttons that we have found. Our old remotes won't work with these new receivers either with one being from DirectTV! Lose power you have to reset back to your fav channels as it defaults to the factory settings everytime. Grrrrrrr

Old 11-20-2008, 06:03 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
What does the "troubleshooting" section of the manual say? Have you tried calling the manufacturer? Is the remote one that is capable of controlling multiple devices? If so, is the correct device selected?

You could also try unplugging the TV and pulling the batteries from the remote and letting them sit for 10 or 15 minutes with no juice whatsoever. Perhaps they just need a time out.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:07 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times
swagger are you asking the OP or me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics