U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2008, 10:04 PM

654 posts, read 3,134,578 times

Advertisements

Alot of talk is into ipods and such but I have more MP3 material than anything else, for on the road or outdoor listening and plus, I have never owned an ipod. I still have the 2GB SanDisk mp3 player I gotten a few years back, and it has done well but now I may be in the market for something better and where I can organize my music better as well as more capacity.

I know opinions vary widely but what's good out there in the world of MP3 players lately? Been out of touch with the new stuff for awhile. Don't really need video capability (have a good tv to watch movies and such) just something that can play hours on end of music and where i can categorize them pretty well.

Most of my collection are on cassette tapes and vinyl which I have to convert over, and the few cd's i do have as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 10:14 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,492,417 times
Wow. There are so many options these days... I'm also not current on the offerings. A few years ago, I would have recommended a Neuros - at the time, it blew everyone else out of the water, but I don't know how they are now (or if they're even still around).

I don't use an MP3 player much, but when I do (while flying, or occasionally plugged into the car), I use my Treo.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:24 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,071,340 times
There really are a lot of options! If you go with iPod, you should consider compatibility issues with other dowloading sites besides iTunes. My suggestion is download iTunes, first and see if you like the program. See how you like the organization and such since it sounds like that is an important factor for you. If you go with iTunes and iPod, you pretty much stay loyal to them as iTunes doesn't like other music formats. I could be wrong on this matter as I only download from iTunes (I also download directly from a CD which is no problem) but I have heard of compatibility issues from other people.

Quite frankly, I think all the mp3s are pretty much the same. It's personal preference really. Some people think iPods are overrated; others think Zune rocks; and still others are against brands and go with the cheapest.

I've only owned iPods so I can only comment on that. So here goes:

Video iPod - if video isn't important to you then don't get it. I've enjoyed it for videos and large storage capacity.

Nano - LOVE IT. It's tiny and versatile. I can jog with it using the Nike sensor and it keeps tracks of my runs. Very cool.

Touch - I don't own this but this will probably be my next purchase. It's like the iPhone but without the phone capacity. There's WiFi connection and the touch screen is pretty neat.

The organization capability for the different iPods are pretty much the same on the iPod itself. If you decide to go with the iPod, it's more about what style you like (and how much music you want to store).

Battery life is decent and I use my Nano on roadtrips all the time. It has served me well!

Old 11-23-2008, 10:46 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,588,899 times
I like the kind with the USB connector on it (look like a USB flash drive), so you don't have to fool with cables and work with pretty much any system wherever you go.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:49 PM

654 posts, read 3,134,578 times
I could consider the ipod idea, but my main turnoff to them is the expensive price tag. I don't remember what the format it uses, but if I had to I could convert my music to work on the ipod.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:18 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,568,989 times
The IPOD Classic is versatile. The menus are so easy to navigate. Importing songs is also intuitive.

I paid $350 for my 80 GB IPOD video just last year. Now it's $250 for 120 GB. It is tempting but I haven't filled up my current IPOD. IPODS have the most accessories than anything else out there - Zune is a distant 2nd place product.

I watch movies, listen to music, download my music from Amazon.com, listen to podcasts, and watch vodcasts.

I have a flash drive 2 GB MP3 player when I exercise or want to listen to something when practicing golf.

The IPOD Touch is a touch screen version but has limited memory for its price point- not a good value.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:55 AM

4,270 posts, read 14,071,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
I could consider the ipod idea, but my main turnoff to them is the expensive price tag. I don't remember what the format it uses, but if I had to I could convert my music to work on the ipod.

Yeah it's expensive but like a previous poster said, the price has gone down. Also, since it sounds like you have a lot of music already, the Video Ipod also has a very large storage capacity .... I don't think you can beat that with any other model!

Old 11-24-2008, 02:48 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,588,899 times
Oh yeah, you really want one with a display, unless you don't care what is playing or the info. That rules out the ipod shuffle for me.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:22 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,568,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post
IPODS use MP3s.

The Zune allows MP3s and WMA (windows media compressed files that double the capacity, in theory).

Old 11-24-2008, 09:34 PM

3,912 posts, read 6,999,109 times
I'm a treo user, too. I use pocket tunes to listen to songs in mp3 format stored on my sd cards. It works great for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics