U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:14 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,039,798 times

Advertisements

For a 32 inch flat screen HDTV with 720p, which brand should I go with for a TV? The brands I am considering: Sharp, Toshiba, Panasonic, Samsung, or Sony. I am leaning towards a Samsung, Sharp, or Toshiba. I plan on intially having on basic cable and eventually going with digital cable and blue-ray down the road.

Last edited by Chris19; 12-21-2008 at 09:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 09:51 PM

833 posts, read 924,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
For a 32 inch flat screen HDTV with 720p, which brand should I go with for a TV? The brands I am considering: Sharp, Toshiba, Panasonic, Samsung, or Sony. I am leaning towards a Samsung, Sharp, or Toshiba. I plan on intially having on basic cable and eventually going with digital cable and blue-ray down the row.
You cant go wrong with any of those. I would just double check the consumer reports website. Otherwise get the one with the great price.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:24 PM

4,334 posts, read 11,937,903 times
Samsung is the highly rated one for 42 inches and under. I have to eventually buy two. The smaller one will be a Samsung for the bedroom and the larger one will be JVC. All my tv's have been JVC and were always highly rated. Also I would go for the 1080. There is quite a pic difference between the two! A relative got a 32 inch 720 Toshiba for $400 or something and is very dissappointed in the pic quality in the set. Told them to get a Samsung 1080!

Old 12-21-2008, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I am leaning towards Samsung, but probably will not make a final decision until later this week. There are two Samsung 37 inch, 720p, flatscreens at work that are used to entertain the customers who are waiting and I have been impressed with them. Even though they are on basic cable showing CNN or showing natural scenes from an upconvert DVD player, I like the picture. The blue-ray may be down the road, although I may get one if there is a good deal that pops up, I might get that instead of an upconvert DVD player. I have some DVDs and hate to get rid of them all and spend money on blue ray versions of the same DVDs. The Toshiba that I am looking at is a little under $500 and the Samsung is about $550. I would rather pay an extra $50 or so dollars and get a solid product, but I am open-minded. I will see what I get for Christmas before I go out and buy a TV. There may be some good after-Christmas promotions.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:31 PM

4,334 posts, read 11,937,903 times
The Samsungs are beautiful sets with great pictures! You can also read on them in Amazon.com just type in the model and read the customer reiews on them. Anything electronic I want to buy I always go to amazon first to read the consumer reviews! Good luck!

Old 12-22-2008, 04:22 PM

4,970 posts, read 14,008,224 times
I bought a 32" 720 Panasonic LCD in February for my living room. Love the HD channels, but wanted a little larger screen. Bought a 37" 1080p Panasonic LCD right before Thanksgiving. The 37" was the largest I could get for my viewing space. I love watching HD Theater. Everything is so vivid. The colors are crisp and the it feels like I'm right there in the moment experiencing what I'm watching and not just sitting on the couch. I rarely watch movies so the whole DVD quality wasn't a concern to me.

Make sure you buy your HDMI cables before hand. Don't pay some outrageous price. I paid $4 for mine. Bix box stores sell them for between $40 - $60.

Happy bargain shopping to you!

Old 12-22-2008, 04:41 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,031,779 times
I just got the 42" Samsung 720P...the newest version for $650. I viewed Panasonic but didn't like a flat black/gray color scheme or the front panel a/v HDMI inputs...since I am putting on wall...the side inputs on the Samsung worked better.

FWIW I spent HOURS comparing...the Panasonic could give you the best picture if you calibrate it properly...but the Samsung wins because the casing looks better and the picture was good. I didn't need a USB/card slot(Pana)...but liked the option to hook up my computer to my Plasma.(Sam)

Old 12-22-2008, 11:02 PM

I looked at the Samsung TVs at work on basic cable and I am excited about making the purchase later this week. I would like a 37 inch, but I think that it would be too big for my living room at this time, but the 32 inch may be a secondary TV down the road when both of the tube TVs are done with their useful lives.

If there are better promotions for Samsung TVs later this week, that may even be better.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:12 AM

833 posts, read 924,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
I looked at the Samsung TVs at work on basic cable and I am excited about making the purchase later this week. I would like a 37 inch, but I think that it would be too big for my living room at this time, but the 32 inch may be a secondary TV down the road when both of the tube TVs are done with their useful lives.

If there are better promotions for Samsung TVs later this week, that may even be better.
Good choice I bought a Samsung a few months back and I'm still very happy with the purchase.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 AM

20,314 posts, read 37,815,914 times
Consumer Reports recently rated HDTV's and the Samsung came out very high on the list. Get a copy at any library. We've seen most of the sets at our local Best Buy, the Samsung and Panasonic were our faves. We ended up buying a 50-inch plasma Samsung and it's marvelous.

I'd urge going with 1080p. LCD or Plasma is a toss up for most people, slight edge for very bright rooms to LCDs. Plasma run hotter than LCD's. Some older plasma sets will hum at elevations over 6000 feet but newer ones are okay and some are even altitude-rated for up to 9200 feet. Shop on-line at Best Buy or Amazon for good prices. You might get lucky at Circuit City who are going out of business soon, but they probably won't be around after the sale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics