Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 03:07 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,137,208 times

Advertisements

You heard me right folks. Zunes around the world are dropping like flies. This mysterious plague can only be described as "sucky". Just as I was about to throw my Zune across the wall from this mysterious disease, I found this article...

Red Ring of Death, Zune Style, also known as Z2K9

((Please don't turn this into an iPod vs. Zune debate))

"We are aware there is a problem with the 30GB Zunes not starting. We are working really hard to correct it." -Called the Zune Support number ((1-877-Get-ZUNE)) and this is basically what the message says.

In further thinking about it, how is Microsoft going to fix this problem? Have thousands upon thousands upon however many people send their Zune in all at once for a fix? The tech hours wasted on that seems atrocious. Not to mention individual shipping for each and every Zune holder? It's a mess - and it's not like "normal" users can do the unofficial fix (completely disconnect the battery connectors for a period of time). I don't know. This situation just stinks.

How do you think Microsoft will fix this?
What do you think caused the glitch? I think it's dealing with the 366 days in the year - it is possibly expecting a date of 08365 or less and sees 08366 and doesn't know what to do.

((If Microsoft isn't going to fix this, I will do the unofficial fix on mine. I've no problem disassembling a laptop - I'm sure the Zune is not so different.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-31-2008 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: Added some more insight and a few questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 05:11 PM

782 posts, read 3,782,459 times
Default Worldwide Zune Crash

My zune crash last night. I have a 30gb from two years ago. I call around and found out many people with 30gb zune is frozen on the startup screen. I still got warranty. If this happen to you contact microsoft.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:28 PM

782 posts, read 3,782,459 times
Default microsoft fix

The company issued a statement pinpointing “a bug in the internal clock driver related to the way the device handles a leap year.”

Microsoft also said that “the issue should be resolved over the next 24 hours as the time change moves to Jan. 1, 2009.”

The internal clocks on what is known as the Zune 30 should reset at noon GMT on Thursday, the company said. After that, Zune 30 users should follow these three steps:

Let the battery die.
Recharge it.
Turn the device on.
Zune Pass subscribers may need to sync their devices with their PCs to “refresh the rights to the subscription content you have downloaded to your device,” according to Microsoft’s statement.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:49 PM

I merged our threads, since it was on the same topic.

But I had a feeling it had to do with the 366 days instead of 365 - small glitch that can be fixed with a firmware update most likely.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,307,769 times
MS hardware seems to have a lot of issues, IMHO. between this and the RROD on the Xbox 360, they're aren't doing to well in this department

Old 01-01-2009, 08:33 AM

Well. My zune booted up fine this morning. Just had to charge it and yippee!!

Old 01-02-2009, 03:06 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,395,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
MS hardware seems to have a lot of issues, IMHO. between this and the RROD on the Xbox 360, they're aren't doing to well in this department
Apple has just as many hardware problems, the first gen of the ipod touch had massive problems with the screens, and the 5th gen classic had problems with batteries.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:07 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,307,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Apple has just as many hardware problems, the first gen of the ipod touch had massive problems with the screens, and the 5th gen classic had problems with batteries.
true, but what I meant was that MS seems to be having a lot of recent hardware issues. not claiming Apple is miraculously free of such issues, just that MS seems to be having a lot of them this year

Old 01-03-2009, 08:25 AM

This was just a simple programmatic error that somebody just forgot. It's not like there was a time bomb or something to go off inside the Zune at a specific point. All they have to do is input a piece of code that essentially says that if the year is divisible by four, then the day-of-year calendar max is 366. And they should probably isolate the error number generated that caused the Zunes to freeze and write a piece of breakout code to handle it... so that if the day-of-year calendar screws up somehow (being dropped?), then it will still function.

Believe me, I've forgotten much bigger in my programs before.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:45 AM

825 posts, read 2,812,184 times
FYI

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...questid=121693
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics