U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:07 AM

4 posts, read 2,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
I've done a bit of reaserch, but I'm still confused. I saw a 50" Plasma Samsung at Wal-Mart for under $1000. Some of the other HDTV's that were LCD and smaller where more expensive. What is the real danger of images being burned in? I'm guessing it would also be worth it to get on consumer reports since it's a big ticket item. Any advice?
Well you must opt for Samsung, coz picture quality is much better than any other tv in market also life matters. So u must opt for samsung.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 11:48 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,662,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
I would think that comparing a 720p 450 series versus a 1080p 650 series will make a big difference. Even a 450 series LCD (not plasma) is way cheaper than a 650 series LCD of the same size, there's got to be a picture quality difference. So I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if the plasma isn't as good. Close up, the 1080p will have more pixels than the 720p.

The other issue is the setup and calibration. All enthusiasts and the people writing articles/reviews in magazines will point out the calibration versus factory setting and will evaluate in a calibrated state. So if you don't have them both calibrated similarly, it's not a fair comparison.
Well yeah, but I am just letting the OP know my situation. I stated it is obvious the 650 will be better, lol.

But maybe it isn't pixels I am seeing, but fuzziness on the plasma. Especially in close dark shots. Like in a movie this guy is standing right in front of the camera and his suit jacket was black, but up close you could see (what I've seen described online as colored ants, red, blue, gray...running around) and it looks real fuzzy. No matter what is on the LCD, I see NO fuzzniess at all, ever.
Funny thing is I did not notice this in the store.

I have also calibrated my plasma using Avia II and another bluray disc. Not super technical, but better than out of box, and I see get the fuzziness.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:34 PM

19,537 posts, read 22,722,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I have a Sony with absolutely no blurring. There are 120hz sets now, and motion enhancement settings. The sony you were looking at might have been a 60hz set or had some of it's motion enhancement features turned off. Samsungs are good sets however. Reason I didn't pick a Samsung was the reported greater "game lag" when using a video game system compared to Sony's sets.

Like burn-in on Plasma sets, "motion-blur" is somewhat overstated with the current level of technology in use. Many LCD sets feature 120hz and there are now some that will soon come out with 240hz. Technology is really improving these sets, even the black levels on LCD's are almost equal to Plasma's so that you get very little difference in choosing between the 2 - you will get a good picture with either.
We play Tombraider on ours using my wife's new laptop. We found lag to be more a function of the PC settings than the TV. Changing settings in the game made a ton of difference.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:04 PM

17,844 posts, read 7,881,468 times
I understood that TRUE LED was better then the LCD'S is that not true. My son who is an electronic nut talked to some people about this very issue, he came away with all his technical terms and knowledge, that the new TRUE LED'S are better then LCD'S for some reason, plasma is not a option to him,he would rather not have a plasma. He'll go into details why, i just don't undertand. I am not putting Plasmas down, this is his opinion, and most people i know have LCD'S comapre to one family Having a PLASMA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics