Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:20 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
You now know the secret of the name Magic Jack! When you go to do that its.....Poof! He disappears to reappear on the next channel! Oh those Magic Jack folks!!!!
Yeah, just like the colon cleanse guy who says you have 14 pounds of old dookie stuck in your intestinal tract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 12:32 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Yeah, just like the colon cleanse guy who says you have 14 pounds of old dookie stuck in your intestinal tract.
Hard time tyipng here laughing to darn hard.....exactly! As they say in the sewer business, we all just a flush away!

Old 01-16-2009, 01:01 PM

232 posts, read 1,030,739 times
I have tried both.
-Magic Jack is a piece of junk. Absolutely awful quality. I guess you get what you pay for. No free or cheap lunch here
-Have been using Vonage since the last 4 years and I am very happy with the voice quality. Never had any issues with hours and hours of conference calls all day. I hope the company survives.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:50 PM

181 posts, read 338,787 times
MagicJack. Have had it for a year on a MAC. It has done everything it said it would. No problem. Sorry some can't get it to work for them.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:29 PM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times
A friend with Magic Jack called me the other day. It was a terrible connection, sounded like a bad cell phone connection - breaking up alot, etc. . My friend said sometimes its clear, sometimes its awful.

Lauren

Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 PM

132 posts, read 350,946 times
Default Magic Jack

I've had no major problems with it, the only problem is sometimes it has a few seconds of connection lag and thats it.

It was $50 for one YEAR of service that is less than 5 a month. Then after than you can get I believe 5 years of service for 39 or 59 dollars. I like saving money, so its great for me.

Maybe, the people that are having problems with it are expecting it to work exactly like a service you pay 20-60 dollars a month for. NOT gonna happen , YET.

Your internet speed might also have something to do with the quality.

Last edited by bhouston77386; 01-16-2009 at 09:37 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 09:18 PM

568 posts, read 1,478,176 times
I paid 19.95 for a year of Magicjack service. Best freaking $20.00 ever spent. I'm currently living overseas and I can make unlimited calls to the States and Canada without any monthly fees, sometimes the connection is bad, but never as bad as calling from overseas using AT&T or other landline carriers.

Warning: For great connection, get the best internet speed in your area. Pass up DSL Lite and go for the fastest cable internet offered. Majicjack works for me because I love my internet fast and hate receiving a monthly phone bill.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
A friend with Magic Jack called me the other day. It was a terrible connection, sounded like a bad cell phone connection - breaking up alot, etc. . My friend said sometimes its clear, sometimes its awful.
VoIP connection quality is affected greatly by whatever else is using the Internet connection. Tell your friend to make sure no one sharing the Internet connection is downloading/uploading/YouTube viewing/etc. while s/he's on a call. P2P file-sharing really does a number on VoIP, which means that during calls is not the time to use BitTorrent.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:11 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
Most of Magic Jack's isues have fixes, the big thing you have to remember is that it has to be plugged into a PC, and that PC has to be running, it will not work in hibernate or suspend mode as it's software driven, and software doesn't work in hibernate or suspend mode. I bought a thin client PC to run it on because my main PC is a beast, no way it was staying on all the time, couldn't get it to work reliably despite help from a forum dedicated to setting it up so I gave up eventually.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:53 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
MagicJack has a flawed business model - there's no way they're covering their costs with what they charge. It's my opinion that they started with the intention of being bought out. If that happens, you can expect a price increase. If it doesn't, they'll fold. Either way, the "bargain" isn't so much of a bargain when your friends and family can't get a hold of you until you contact everyone with your new number (again).

Vonage is a good service, but they're very expensive. What makes them a reasonable alternative is their plug and play hardware - you don't have to configure anything (typically). Good for grandmas and other non-computer people. The drawback to that is that you can't use their hardware with anyone but them, so if you leave them, you have another great doorstop instead of a useful piece of telephone equipment.

Someone mentioned Skype, but I don't recommend any service that hooks into the network through your PC. There are too many things that can screw with your quality of service. If you're willing to deal with whatever issues may arise due to that tethering, then Skype is pretty cheap.

I use three different providers - Callcentric, Vitelity and Les.net. Callcentric is by far the most consumer-friendly of the three. All of them are BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) services. Callcentric and Vitelity have both been rock solid for the ~2 years we've been using them. Les.net has occasional network issues, but they resolve them quickly and their customer service is great.

We use Vitelity for our business (and for all our domestic outbound calling), and the service quality is excellent. They're my top choice for business class service. They can also be suitable for residential service, depending on your usage patterns and technical prowess - their website isn't very consumer-friendly.

For residential service, I almost always recommend Callcentric. The service plan I recommend varies, depending on usage:

If you do more than 700 minutes of outbound calling per month, go with their North America Unlimited plan, which is $5 less than Vonage ($60/year savings).

If you do less than 700 minutes of outbound calling per month, get the Personal Unlimited plan for inbound calls ($6/mo), and the Pay Per Call plan for outbound calls ($0.0198/min). Depending on how many outbound calls you make, the savings over Vonage can be quite dramatic with these plans.

With most VoIP providers, you're required to supply your own hardware. What you'll need is an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter). This connects a regular phone to an IP network. I typically recommend the Grandstream HandyTone 286 (http://yurlo.com/2cbntu - broken link) for this. They can be had for about $30, and they'll work with virtually any VoIP provider, so you can switch without worrying about whether or not you'll be stuck with another doorstop. If you need two lines (separate accounts - e.g. for roommates or parents+kids), the HandyTone 386 does the trick. The initial configuration of an ATA can be a little daunting for someone who's not familiar with VoIP technology, but it's a one time thing, and most providers have help pages that walk you through it - the long term savings over Vonage or the phone/cable company make it well worth the effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics