U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 11:18 PM

823 posts, read 2,574,687 times

Advertisements

I have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR box, an HDTV and a Toshiba D-KR10KU upconversion DVD player. If you have one of these pieces of equipment or some knowledge to this effect, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Is it possible to run the TV data signal through the DVD player like my parents use to do with the VCR and the TV when I was a wee little lad?

The goal here is to record programs or record shows that are on the DVR already. Yea, yea, I know this is "wrong" but there are somethings we like to watch over again but always leaving them on the DVR isn't feasible.

The DVR box has component and HDMI. I have one set of each cable. The Toshiba has component video, a digital audio output and an RCA output. I can't make heads or tails of using the up to date connections on the DVR and the more out of date connections on the DVD. I thought I had this figured out at purchase time. Hopefully there's a solution.

The Toshiba set up menu allows me to chose "video in" or "S-video" in and also, I can't switch the thing off of XP mode which is necessary for recording anything longer than 60 minutes to a single disc.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 11:46 PM

1,189 posts, read 3,659,724 times
Does the DVD player double as a DVD recorder? You are wanting to record from DVR to DVD, or TV to DVD?

If you want DVR to TV run the inputs from DVR -> DVD Player -> TV

Hit play on DVR, hit record on dvd player.

I would use RCA cables if possible...s-video is ok too if you have a way to run audio seperately (with RCA cables probably...?)

Old 05-26-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Does the DVD player double as a DVD recorder? You are wanting to record from DVR to DVD, or TV to DVD?

If you want DVR to TV run the inputs from DVR -> DVD Player -> TV

Hit play on DVR, hit record on dvd player.

I would use RCA cables if possible...s-video is ok too if you have a way to run audio seperately (with RCA cables probably...?)
J Arp...thanks for your reply. Yes this is a DVD recorder and I do want to record live TV and shows recorded to the DVR.

If I run RCA cables, I lose the ability to watch TV in HD yes? This makes sense for recording on a disk because it can only be 480p but what if I want to watch (but not record) something that is 1080i?

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 PM

Ok, connected RCA cables from DVR box to DVD player/recorder and also from DVD player/recorder to TV. I don't think I need the RCA's connecting to the TV because the HDMI cable takes care of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics