Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:17 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,615,716 times

Advertisements

I'm getting cable service on 6/12 the day of the big conversion to digital. Currently i do not have cable and have a converter box but the signal is weak

The company will initially be hooking up cable svce to my 13 inch magnavox tv but will soon be getting a 26 inch flatscreen. All i do is simply transfer the cable connection from my magnavox to my new flatscreen, right?

Can I still play my separate DVD player with the coaxial cables (red white yellow jacks) thru my current tv and the new tv?

if say i was not getting cable svce and instead used the converter box with the weak signal, would i still be able to play dvd's thru the tv or is the ability to play dvd's dependent o the success of the signal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 08:45 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,896,458 times
if you can play the dvd through the tv now, nothing will change after 6/12. You should be able to connect the DVD player to the new tv, as well, as long as you have an input on the TV that matches an output of your dvd player.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:17 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,023,682 times
Red white and yellow jacks are RCA hookups, coax is the one with the pin in the middle and usually screws on. Probably your cable will hook up through the coax, and the DVD will go through the RCA. If this is the case, you can have both hooked up at the same time and you will just have to switch sources using your TV remote to go between the two.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:13 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,934,851 times
Are you getting HD cable service or just standard? If HD you do not want to use the same connection from the STB to your new flat screen, if your just getting standard service it'll be just a matter of swapping out the TV's and connections.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:53 PM

124 posts, read 500,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Can I still play my separate DVD player with the coaxial cables (red white yellow jacks) thru my current tv and the new tv?
Yellow is composite video. Coaxial is...coax. There's also component video (red/green/blue) and S-video (connector looks similar to a PS2 connection on a computer. All of those are analog. In terms of quality: component > s-video > composite > coax. For digital connections there's HDMI and DVI.

Old 06-07-2009, 04:46 AM

Default I'm getting

basic cable service, but the guys who are coming over to install can advise me too?

Old 06-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,038,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Probably your cable will hook up through the coax, and the DVD will go through the RCA. If this is the case, you can have both hooked up at the same time and you will just have to switch sources using your TV remote to go between the two.
If your cable service includes a converter or set-top box, the cable installer will want to hook it to a video input. If your TV has just 1 video input and it's being used by your DVD player, you will lose access to the DVD player unless you swap the cables manually or buy a switcher to switch between the two sources.

Most cable providers do not want to bring the signal in through the cable input anymore, since it delivers the worst picture quality. My guess is that the only way the cable will go into the TV through the coax is if you get the most basic level of cable service that includes channels 2-13.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,581,800 times
Quote:
I'm getting cable service on 6/12 the day of the big conversion to digital. Currently i do not have cable and have a converter box but the signal is weak

The company will initially be hooking up cable svce to my 13 inch magnavox tv but will soon be getting a 26 inch flatscreen. All i do is simply transfer the cable connection from my magnavox to my new flatscreen, right?

if say i was not getting cable svce and instead used the converter box with the weak signal, would i still be able to play dvd's thru the tv or is the ability to play dvd's dependent o the success of the signal?
The image is "discussed" between the player and your TV. The cable really has nothing to do with it. You can play your DVD's with the cable power on OR off, it really shouldn't matter one way or the other.

Okay, just verified. From the wall, it goes into the cable box, from the cable box into the DVD, from the DVD into the TV. But the power on the DVD player is off 95% of the time.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,581,800 times
Quote:
basic cable service, but the guys who are coming over to install can advise me too?
Yes.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:56 PM

Default Thanks guys(how do they install cable?)

for all the advice. BTW, disregarding the DVD issue, what will the provider do when they get here on 6/12 to install basic cable? how do they wire it up? do they go out on the roof(6th floor) or do they simply plug something(like a cable converter) on the antenna jack? i have a white cord with something that looks like a coaxial jack at the end with the other end that goes into the wall sitting here in my apartment. not sure what it's for.

i've never had cable before so i'm clueless how it works

i have a magnavox 13 inch mdtd20 combo tv/dvd (but the dvd no longer works so i use a separate dvd player) that the provider will hook up the svce to

but i will probably be getting a SONY bravia 26 inch flatscreen within a few weeks

would i be able to make the switch to the new tv or will i have toi call the provider for a second housecall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics