Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:34 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,311 times

Advertisements

Hi Roselvr, the black thing on the top is unconnected, something to do with the phone line. The white box is actually moveable, and the lines are like soldered or something into it, nothing to pull out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 10:35 AM

Wired into the breaker panel...You mean the main electrical panel that I think may be in the garage? I'll go look.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:38 AM

Ok, just looked. There are about 40 different labeled areas, and wouldn't you know, nothing listed for the alarm.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:53 PM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
You are probably screwed unless you start cutting wires. I just went downstairs. If you look at the pic of mine with the plug, you can see a red wire going to it just at the bottom of the picture. It comes into the box on top of the battery, where that hole is. Mine looks like it is hooked on the left side of the panel, there is a red & black wire. Looking at yours, it is most likely going to be 2 of the white casings with red/black wires.

I would rather you try to find the plug.
Is there an outlet close to it that has a plug you've always wondered where it went to.

How long ago did you buy the house?
Best bet is to get in touch with their agent, who knows if the agent knows how to contact them though?

Your other option is to call the alarm company to come out for a service call.
I hate to see you cutting wires because who knows if it will stop the problem?

Your plug is connected to one of those wires going out the hole on top of the battery.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:23 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,115,717 times
I second the "rather you try to find the plug" comment. Not only for your safety but so you can keep the system intact should you ever decide you want to use it. Most all of the systems I've seen have plugged into an outlet somewhere. It is VERY rare for a system to be wired directly into the homes electrical since that would require an electrician in addition to the alarm company technicians. Most of the time it will be a tan power adapter and quite frequently you won't even see the cable coming from it.

An example is mine. The power adapter is not obviously close to the alarm box.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s64/SteelwindOo/misc/AlarmAdapter.jpg (broken link)

Doesn't look like it goes to anything. There is no indication that there is even a cable coming off of it but if you look at the other side of the wall (in a closet) you see...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s64/SteelwindOo/misc/AlarmWires.jpg (broken link)

Then you can follow the wires up the wall to the alarm box (top of the closet)...

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s64/SteelwindOo/misc/AlarmBox.jpg (broken link)

Notice all the wires look the same since they use the same type of wire when wiring the sensors, keypad, power, horn, etc. No way to tell what is what once it is all in place. This means your power plug could be anywhere though typically it is pretty close to the main box or brain of the unit.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:35 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Right! That's what I want to do, power it down. Where is the brain? I feel silly asking that, but where? There is another little keypad receiver in the downstairs of the house, and tha's it.
Probably a box with a locked door mounted to the wall in the basement or in a closet. It will also have a battery in it so the system would work in a power outage.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
This system can't be wired straight into the breaker panel. The voltage would be too high and it would need to have DC power, rather than the AC at the panel. That means there has to be a transformer somewhere that's powering it. More than likely, that's in the form of a wall wart, like the one pictured above, plugged into an outlet somewhere.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Yeah mine has one of those warts, too. It is plugged into a UPS because our battery died and replacements are obnoxiously expensive since ours is 22 years old.

Would that wall mount have a small battery in it? I ask because ours is so old it's difficult for me to go by what I have.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi Roselvr, the black thing on the top is unconnected, something to do with the phone line. The white box is actually moveable, and the lines are like soldered or something into it, nothing to pull out.
Is it possible to actually take the whole box off of the wall or moved out of the way enough to see if you can see where the wire is going to?

You're missing something, somewhere.

What floor in your house is the master box on?

Old 06-08-2009, 02:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
On the right hand side, there are orange and black cords that look to me like power cords--{sigh}

I could find which wires power it, with a non contact continuity tester--you just run it over the wire. But I'm not all that thrilled about cutting wires that carry current. Shocks are NOT fun to get. Even if you were to manage to cut them, you'd need some cheap wire nuts to "safe" the wires coming from power. Then again, once you found the power wires, you could probably trace them back to some sort of source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics