U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-18-2009, 01:41 PM

15,952 posts, read 11,884,399 times
Default Direct TV HD reception

I live in Arizona in a windy area, I have two TVs on Direct TV. It seems that any time there is electrical interference, lightning etc. HD goes out but the regular one is fine.

Any ideas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 PM

1,856 posts, read 5,734,122 times
Do you have more than one dish, or is it a single dish with one really wide LNB on the end of it?

I believe they call it the "Slimline 5".

I would lean more towards a loose wire, or dish moving in the wind.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Do you have more than one dish, or is it a single dish with one really wide LNB on the end of it?

I believe they call it the "Slimline 5".

I would lean more towards a loose wire, or dish moving in the wind.
One dish, Direct TV replaced the wire. The Tech tells me HDTV is more "sensitive"???

Old 07-19-2009, 06:35 AM

1,856 posts, read 5,734,122 times
He is right. The core programming on Directv is on a satellite known as the 101. That is a high powered satellite. Those satellites need to be positioned 9 degrees away from each other to prevent interfering with each other. High powered satellites are slighty more forgiving when it comes to dish alignment.

Directv uses low powered satellites that are directly next to the 101 for their HD programming. They are not forgiving at all when it comes to aiming a dish. It must be dead on. If your dish moves, or if you have trees moving, you will lose the signal. I have never heard of just lightning doing it, but I would assume that there is cloud cover, and wind during the lightning. Your dish should be very tightly mounted.

Check your mounts, and check the connections again. Everything should be tight. The dish shouldn't move.

The next time you lose the HD, tune to channel 99. That is an HD pay-per-view channel that is on the 101. You shouldn't get the "searching for signal" message that you get from the other HD channels.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
He is right. The core programming on Directv is on a satellite known as the 101. That is a high powered satellite. Those satellites need to be positioned 9 degrees away from each other to prevent interfering with each other. High powered satellites are slighty more forgiving when it comes to dish alignment.

Directv uses low powered satellites that are directly next to the 101 for their HD programming. They are not forgiving at all when it comes to aiming a dish. It must be dead on. If your dish moves, or if you have trees moving, you will lose the signal. I have never heard of just lightning doing it, but I would assume that there is cloud cover, and wind during the lightning. Your dish should be very tightly mounted.

Check your mounts, and check the connections again. Everything should be tight. The dish shouldn't move.

The next time you lose the HD, tune to channel 99. That is an HD pay-per-view channel that is on the 101. You shouldn't get the "searching for signal" message that you get from the other HD channels.
Thank you, that could be the advice I was looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics